Cold Steel Butterflies?

I was just on Cold Steels site chacking out the What's new for '99, and I noticed that they are making what they call "Triple action Folders"

My first though upon hearing the name was ofthose funny spanish knives tht lock into three different positions (closed, push dagger, and fully opened), but to my surpris, they turned out to be, what look like, butterfliies!...I think I want one...But I want to see one first....and they are made fom aus10a...

http://www.coldsteel.com/Tripleactions.html

------------------
Off in search of Knirvana....yek

I called Cold Steel and asked about it, these knives are a modified paratrooper knife. The handle is hinged on one side and the blade slides down into the handle.
Unfortuantely, due to Cold Steel being based in CA, it is illegal for them to manufature butterfly knives.

Jonathan

Well that just bites...Oh well...If Cold Steel DOES start pumping out butterflies, I will be first in line to get one....I miss the Balisongs....

------------------
Off in search of Knirvana....yek

Cold Steel does not manufacture knives. They buy them from foreign manufacturers and resell them. It is illegal to import butterflies, so unless that law is changed or Cold Steel starts reselling knives made in the US, there will never be a Cold Steel butterfly.

-Cougar Allen :{)

The importation of butterfly knives is not illegal. They were once considered illegal under the "switchblade" classification by customs but the courts overuled the decision. Unfortunately because of the initial "scare of legality" some companies that produced decent quailty butterflies quit doing so and now all we have are cheap imports and high dollar customs.

Jonathan

[This message has been edited by Jonathan (edited 30 December 1998).]

Um ... you're right, but your information is dated. Basically what happened is, some years ago US Customs decided the law against importing switchblades also covered butterflies and stopped their import. It went to court and the judge overruled the bureaucrats so butterflies were imported again, for several years. Then Customs again decided to define butterflies as switchblades, and this time they haven't been overruled by a judge (not yet anyway), so they're not allowing any to be imported. That's where it stands now.

Law is made as much by bureaucrats as by legislators and judges.

-Cougar Allen :{)

Yes, BUT.....

Cold Steel has been eyeballing Colorado as a place for a new plant, or relocation, and the rumor mill says that a large part of that may be because they want the piece of the Butterfly pie that Benchmade dropped.

Cold Steel could make butterflies in Colorado and then disperse them, as Benchmade was doing from Oregon.

We shall see.

Just for the record most of Cold Steel's fixed blades and all of their Carbon V models are made in the US by *******.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator
Do it! Do it right! Do it right NOW!
www.wowinc.com

Well thaddeus you are almost right. Ontario used to make them. I did not give the correct number of astericks and will not reveal the manufacturer but Ontario is not the right answer currently.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator
Do it! Do it right! Do it right NOW!
www.wowinc.com

Not meaning to harp on a subject but there are thousands of butterfly knives coming into the country now on a weeky basis. I would dare say that over 95% of the butterfly knives in the US are imports. Are all of these being overlooked or are we just not current on the import status of butterfly knives. (If we could once again have an American made quality butterfly knife available we would have no need for imports, you listening Benchmade)

Jonathan

"Modified paratrooper knives." huh? I looked at the site photo but don't know what a paratrooper knife is . . . it LOOKS like one side of the knife opens, then the blade is rotated in/out of the remaining side, as one would operate a normal folder, but then the other side of the handle is folded back to lock the blade in place. Am I on the right track here? If so, the design seems a bit cumbersome: no "flicking" open of the blade until one of the handles is flipped out of the way, requiring two motions rather than one, and in opposite directions at that! But they sure look strong, and cool too (although the handle shape doesn't seem all that practical, not a lot of "grippiness" to those straight aluminum sides - but in contrast have you seen CS's scimitar? hoo boy!).

You are close to it. The left handle will actually swing away and up from the blade and right handle, then the blade slides straight back along side the right handle and is closed when the left is even with both once again. (This description might have confused more than clarified..haha). And yes it is a ratehr cumbersome design, especially with so many easy to use one-handers on the market these days.

Jonathan

------------------
Live every day as if it was your last, for some day it shall be.

Hey fellas............I had a switchblade imported direct from Italy. Not that I would suggest that to anyone. Being that it is illegal to import such products.
smile.gif
But I will say that for 34$ Real horn, nice steel, really nice spring and action. I was really impressed for 34$. It got here fairly fast as well. Huh.......wonder where I can get a "real" Balisong. hmmmmmmmm. I love the internet. by the way it was from SKM

Is it particularly wise to make such admissions on the internet? Granted, you have a certain amount of anonymity, but still...

Razor

Back