Cold Steel LTC Khukri vs. Ontario Khukri

Anyone want to share their experience with these blades?

Thanks in advance for the feedback..

[This message has been edited by Ameezan (edited 03 June 1999).]

The old style Ontario khukuri is an odd design. Its khukuri shaped but its primary grind goes the wrong way. Its thicker at the edge than at the spine. This could just be poor QC on the one I had though. It was a weak chopper and slicer and any other kind of cutting. It was however extremely strong. They have modified the design to a full flat grind and I would bet that this would have better performance.

-Cliff

I haven't heard especially great feedback on the LTC either from people who have tested them. Have you handled one Cliff?

Joe, I have handled one in the sense that I have picked it up and looked at it. I was in a store and the price was super inflated so I passed. I would not call it a khukuri as the shape is similar but not really the same but that is just semantics.

The most detail I have read was from MPS who said that it would not outchop an Ontario machete, this surprised me, but I have no reason to doubt what MPS said. The ironic thing is that his negative comments actually made me want to buy it as I couldn't explain, based on my experiences, why he saw the performance he did.

What I can say is that the CS handle is much more ergonomic and secure than the Ontario assuming that the CS handle on the LTC is similar to what is on the Trailmaster and Recon Scout. I really don't like the Ontario Spec Plus handles much at all. I have commented on this in detail here :

http://www.physics.mun.ca:80/~sstamp/knives/trailmaster_recon_scout.html

-Cliff

Experience with Ontario kukri:none

Experience with CS LTC kukri: Patuca, EC Jan 97 to Jun 97. (hey dp, remember it?)

Leather sheath is a bad thing in a wet/humid environment. Carbon V blade held an excellent edge for multiple uses. Handle is fabulous when your hands are dry or wet/sweaty. For clearing in a jungle environment, excellent. For backyard brush, not bad either (the neighbors get nervous, though).

I don't have any experience with the Ontario model, but I bought an LTC Kukri factory 2nd for about $40.00, and I love it. Great camp knife because it is so light and easy to carry on long hikes, when weight becomes a big factor. I used it mostly as an axe to cut brush into firewood, which it does with surprising ease. The handle can be a bit abrasive on the hand after tons of chopping, but for the most part it's very comfortable. It's also quick & light, for self-defense against animals of all types. Get a factory second if you can't find a new one cheap - it's a work knife, so blemishes in the finish are really irrelevant. My .02

------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

While on the subject of khukri comparisons, I came across a Blackjack Reinhardt Combat Khukri a while back and haven't been able to find out much about it. I've thought about selling it, storing it, or just using it, but I can't quite make up my mind. Any input would be appreciated.

------------------
Don LeHue

The pen is mightier than the sword...outside of arm's reach. Modify radius accordingly for rifle.

Ameezan,

I know your question is specifically addressing two specific brands but, I am curious why you mentioned these instead of the Ghurka House and Himalayan Imports models?

Stay sharp,
Sid
------------
knife dealer

Yeah, I remember Tobii3; the LTC is a poor hardwood chopper, but a great brush and vine clearing blade. The handle is fine for short term use, but I developed a wicked blister when I chopped up some small branches for an extended period of time.

Not sure about Ontario's piece, but I'd say the LTC is just an updated rendition of the old "bolo" machete.

Both seem decent for production pieces, but Sid's right about considering GH and HI; I have a 15" AK...NOW THAT'S A GREAT HARDWOOD CHOPPER!

Dave

Hi Sid,

The main reason why I asked about these two khukris is because I just both of them last week in the quest for the ultimate khukri.

Here are my selection criteria for my ultimate khukri:

1. Ergonomic design
2. Chopping capability
3. Macho look
4. Light weight

Ameezan

Ameezan, light-weight and good chopping ability are at odds with one another. The further you go in one respect, the worse the other will get.

Specific to chopping, it depends on what you are chopping. Is if something that you can cut in one chop or two, or really hard woods, you would want a really thin profile, however this same geometry will bind up readily in most normal woods and a thicker convex grind would be better.

-Cliff

[This message has been edited by Cliff Stamp (edited 07 June 1999).]

I just recvd a July 4 promo pamphlet from CS in which they offer a proto-version of their "Gurkha Light Kukri" for $40!!!

It should be noted - and the pamphlet does NOT state this at all - that this is NOT the same Kukri that they retail for $240 (and at $170 as a factory 2d), which is of 5/16" stock and weighs 22 oz. This item is the same size & shape but only 1/8" stock, like the LTC Kukri, and weighs about the same as the LTC: 15.9 oz. But unlike the LTC, which has a more bolo-type blade, this model has a traditional kukri shape. I have no idea how this blade performs, just posting an FYI.

------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Back