Cold Steel Makes Grind Change To Recon 1

Thought this would be interesting for any would be owners of a new Recon 1.

I just received one of the new batch Recon 1's with dark earth G10 and noticed that Cold Steel are now using a sabre grind or 2/3 height flat grind, instead of the previously used hollow, making a tough knife even tougher! If you prefer one type over the other (I was expecting/hoping to get a hollow grind...) then speak to your dealer.

One benefit of the new grind is that they now sharpen all the way to the choil and looks quite a bit neater and better finished. You can see the difference on the BladeHQ link below, they have up to date pics, compare the black G10 to the dark earth Recons.

http://www.bladehq.com/cat--Cold-Steel-Recon--630

Last edited:
I prefer the hollow grind, being that it's a sizable chunk of steel at the spine, but I would much much much prefer how they sharpened that earth G10 version. I unsuccessfully tried to sharpen a mini recon 1 back to the sharpening notch, that last eighth of an inch or so is fugly and not sharp now.

Grind change also happened to American Lawman. Just got the new FDE and it's now flat grind. They also fixed the sharpened area so it now extends all the way back without leaving a small un-sharpened area.
Check out this video(not mine) to see what the new one looks like:

In the video he describes it as a very shallow hollow grind. I haven't had one in hand yet, so idk for sure. Not a huge deal for me, one way or the other, but I'm REALLY glad they've taken the edge bevel all the way back. :thumbsup:

Grind change also happened to American Lawman. Just got the new FDE and it's now flat grind. They also fixed the sharpened area so it now extends all the way back without leaving a small un-sharpened area.
Check out this video(not mine) to see what the new one looks like:

Thanks hky.

You know I've never gotten around to replacing my old Fubar'd lawman, was a good work knife that died in the line of duty. (triple ply cardboard is spiteful.)

a funny note is the old coating that everyone used to complain about is still in good shape.

If you ever needed to use your blade as a makeshift pry bar, the older style with the radiused plunge cut would afford a lot more lateral strength.

i like hollow much better,cuts better and is easier to sharpen
Not to mention a much longer sharpening life. The edge on a flat ground blade will get wider with every sharpening. A hollow ground blade will take many sharpenings before it starts getting wider. This is especially true with a high hollow grind.

The dark earth and olive ones should have the new grind (both new for 2017). Not sure about the black ones. I assume they've changed them as well, but even if they have you could potentially get a NOS one with the older grind.

Last edited:
I dont know why many people here don't like hollow grinds,high hollow grind is excellent and easy to sharpen ,performs better than most flat or convex grinds for my uses

I dont know why many people here don't like hollow grinds,high hollow grind is excellent and easy to sharpen ,performs better than most flat or convex grinds for my uses

For me it's an aesthetic thing. Since hollowgrind can be made cheaply, just running them through wheel. Most cheapo knives are almost exclusively hollow grind. High-end company like ZT or Benchmade mostly do flatgrind

It depends on the knife for me. I don't dislike hollow grinds, but I feel a flat grind is better on a large hard use knife (a category which the larger Recon 1s sort of fit into). On the other hand, the paper-thin deep hollow grind (and acute edge angles) on the Tuff Lite are awesome on that particular knife. :thumbsup:

If you cut soft materials i think high deep hollow grind is best period.doesn't matter if its cheap to produce or not.I love full hollow grind but is rare on knives.

Hey guys. I’ve been away a long time from cold steel and it’s douche of an owner. But recently been looking at classic Japanese or Ventura made models. Was hollow ground a choice on the recon 1’s?

Back