Cold Steel Sure Balance Sport throwers

I just ordered and received 3 from Midway for $36 total shipped and I have to say I like them overall particularly at this price point. I prefer a heavy throwing knife since I throw no-spin and these hit hard and stick deep. I will add them to my rotation.

Technical Information:

Folding or Fixed Blade: Fixed
Blade Steel: 1055 Carbon
Handle Material: 1055 Carbon
Serrated: No
Blade Thickness: 3.5mm
Overall Length: 13-3/8"
Weight: 12.8 oz.

little video here

Last edited:
I wrap the handles with paracord but otherwise I love them too! Heavy, tough and easy to throw while being easily resharpened. Great for no-spin!

This is my cold steel sure balance.

Just keep in mind these are made in china with irregular quality, and they will fail completely if you hit something hard.

Case in point (or not-point as this shows)

rock tip.jpg

This knife hit a rock with moderate force. The rock was scratched a little and the tip bent and shattered completely off as you can see.

As big as this knife is, its pretty weak, in the place it matters most.

Just be careful.

- Hal Zucati

Last edited:
Sounds like you got a good deal on the CS Sure Balance sport knives. I am a little partial to the larger (thickness) standard CS Sure Balance model, but no doubt for the cost, Cold Steel is a good value (for the $$ cost) as long as you throw at wood and not hard surfaces like rocks. I did however throw at frozen log rounds most every day last winter that the logs were frozen. Obviously not as hard as a rock, but more than most knives should be subjected to. I am not pushing CS, or saying it's better than xyz, but just saying you could do worse for the money.

"

Just a quick apples to apples comparison between the two used Cold Steel SureBalance throwing knives...

apples2apples.jpg

1.1.13 - .80 inches of material shattered off the end of my knife when it impacted a hard surface. That's almost a full inch of metal gone depending on if you measure from the front or the back of the fracture.
2. When the two pictures are sized to match the angle and length properly, you can see that my knife has much more and deeper penetration wear suggesting that it has been either thrown harder, more often or has been used in a softer target media allowing for deeper penetration. Your target is an end-cut log, and so is mine, so I'm going to go with the thrown harder thought, assuming that we've both thrown a bunch o times, as you indicate. Though you do say your wood was frozen, so perhaps that's why it didn't penetrate as deeply..

Just thought overlaying the two images and then illustrating the actual material loss and overall impact on the knife when it does fail, would shed some light on usage of these knives.
Throw them softly into nice soft targets, and all will be well. Mess up and miss, or hit something hard, and its game over.

Still, for the price these cost ($20 each I've seen them some places) I guess its the "quantity" equation that factors in here. Buy a bunch of cheap knives, and who cares if they break.

I guess I look at it like this, you buy cheap, you own cheap, and you throw cheap. The best the knife will ever be is a cheap knife from China.

(I really do sound anti- Cold Steel... ) Which I'm actually not... just saying, this knife really disappointed me.

- Hal Zucati

I just picked up three of the heavier CS Sure Balance on sale from Midway, looking forward to giving them a try.

i have few CS throwers , man,halzucat , and i moded a gi tanto , they well made tough knives.

1055 steel with relatively lower HRC is very very tough , in generally speaking those cheap knives from CS are very tough and it is hard to break it(may be more easily to dent compare to harder steels.) .

for throwing knives they are cool .

i have a suggestion here for you that you sell your knives and do not say other maker's products are sooooo suck , do your own business to prove your throwing knives are cool for the money .

good luck man.
dingy

I just got a set of CS mini flights, they are great but I hadn't made 2 dozen throws when I point bent and that from hitting another knife. I am throwing at a wood target inside where there are no rocks. The other 2 knives are still un bent.

Greatest risk to these things is always hitting one another. Draw three bullseyes on that target and throw at different ones each time. You will be amazed how little you hit one with another even if they are only 10" apart. That is the main reason I have 20 target faces on my practice range. I never throw at the same bull twice if there is a knife sticking in it.

Last edited:
Hi, I did make 4 targets, I have a 30 x 30 plank target area and four target point, it does make a difference. It is so good tho throw good knives the set I fist got is junk

Hi, I broke the tip of my CS mini flight, about 3/16" how will it affect the balance if I regrind it thanks

Hi, I broke the tip of my CS mini flight, about 3/16" how will it affect the balance if I regrind it thanks

moves the center of balance forward the more material you remove.

Really depends on how sharp a tip you want to put back on it and how steep you go with the bevels...

re-pointing it shouldn't make a noticeable difference, but having said that, it depends on how sensitive a thrower you are.

- Hal Zucati

Not enough to matter very much. My favorite knives, hand made, supposedly alike and balanced differ as much as 1/2" between them in length. I can not even tell it when I throw no spin.

Howdy Mike,

Did you get that point filed back on? I occasionally bend one, mainly on Boker knives and I will slip the point into a crack between planks on the top of a picnic table and can usually carefully straighten it. But I have re-contoured a few too. Often you can improve on what they gave you.

Howdy Mike,

Did you get that point filed back on? I occasionally bend one, mainly on Boker knives and I will slip the point into a crack between planks on the top of a picnic table and can usually carefully straighten it. But I have re-contoured a few too. Often you can improve on what they gave you.

Hi, Bob I re ground that point and haven't bent one since. I ordered another knife so I can throw a knife at each target point

I have been giving my CS Sure Balance knives a workout lately. I am impressed with how they throw. I have up to two spins down fairly well after just a few weeks of throwing them. no bent tips, just a few dings from throwing them a bit too close together. So far I think they area very good knife for the money.

I have found them to be a good value also. I have many thousands of throws on mine. I keep them pretty sharp with a file. But no bent tips nor anything broken. I do wrap the handles for the tactile effect and better control. All that weight is just nice! You don't have to throw hard to do damage and get a satisfactory result.

Last edited:
I got my fourth CS mini flight and when I pulled ,it out of the sheath the tip was bent, it was painted that way, it should of never left the factory, I hope the replacement is ok

Back