Cold Steel's changes and my new opinion of their knives

Several years ago I got a few knives and products from Cold Steel. LIke other company's knives I kept, sold or gave away what I bought as I saw fit. I ended up keeping a Cold Steel mini-lawman, mini-AK47 and a machete that is about 18" long. I always considered the Cold Steel folders a very strong, durable and hard work knife. The tri-ad lock always has a very strong and solid feel to it. Also, reading about the design was simply amazing in being able to understand what made it work. The thicker G-10 (without liners) handles provided a very powerful work knife IMO.

My only disappointment was CS didn't use higher end blade steels. While this was somewhat disappointing I also appreciated the benefit of using a lower cost but still very adequate AUS-8A. Keeping the cost a bit lower made it easier for me to use the knife hard, get it dirty, scratched etc. Also, AUS-8A is easily resharpened quickly. So my opinion has always been that Cold Steel knives were VERY strong and other than a few exceptions they all had AUS-8A.

About a year ago something went wrong with my mini-AK47 and Cold Steel replaced it without question. When I got the replacement I noticed the handle was slimmer which made it a bit easier to carry for an EDC knife. Other than that I wasn't aware of any changes so I tossed it in my tool box and went about life. I would like to emphasize how I was a bit bewildered how easily I could get a super scary edge on the knife as well as it seemed to keep the super sharp edge longer. The better edge performance was noticable without me knowing the blade steel was actually XHP which I was pretty used to in several Spyderco knives I have or have had. While online about 3-4 weeks ago I found out Cold Steel had been using higher end blade steels for a while and I didn't know it. This made it obvious why I have experienced better performance and also sent me looking back at Cold Steel knives to see what other changes they made. I had always loved the feel of my mini Lawman so when I found out it was now available in XHP also I got another one. Now I still have the AUS-8 knife as well as a new one which is slimmer making it a bit easier as an EDC knife.

The one thing that hasn't changed is how the aggressive G-10 handle will destroy the top of my pockets when using the clip for EDC. I don't remember what I did to my old mini lawman but there is a smooth spot under where the clip and handle come into contact reducing the damage to my pants. I don't remember what I did to get that smooth surface. My new AK I already smoothed the handle with sandpaper. I'd rather do something that I can un-do on the mini lawman if possible.

I won't carry the AK for EDC using the clip because I don't like the thumb stud's feature allowing it to open the blade while removing it from the pocket. I don't like it because I sometimes open the blade when I don't want to.

So any suggestions to smooth the removal of the mini-lawman from my pocket is appreciated.

I will say, as a work knife I prefer the thicker handle for more aggressive cutting. I don't know Cold Steel's plan is for the new blade steels is. Personally I'd like to see the models available in different steels. Example: A mini-AK47 with XHP and also AUS-8 for those who have a preference but like the mini-AK.

Last edited:
I went to Walmart and got a dual grit sanding block. It looks like a sponge with sand paper on both sides. Take off the clip and hand sand to your desired feel. I also got a flat head screwdriver and scratched under where the clip contacts after placing a few dots on ekthwr side of where the clip meets the g10. I was incredibly happy with the xhp they were using. Now they are switching to S35vn. Haven’t gotten to use it yet but i prefer xhp.

I had to remove and bend the clips of my Recon 1 and American Lawman as they were too tight. That said, Cold Steel has always been one of the most innovative knife makers IMHO: Lynn Thompson introduced the American tanto, the classic Master Hunter, the Tri-Ad lock, too wide a range of sturdy folders to list, and lately is incorporating higher end steels and materials like G-10.

It's true, paragraphs exist for a reason.
Sanding under the clip and also slightly bending out the clip to reduce pressure is normally what I do.
Cold Steel makes some good knives. They often need a little tweaking. But that lack of refinement is more than made up for by the low cost. They're a great deal.

TL;DR: OP is experiencing (and enjoying) their first knife in XHP, wants to know how to smooth the handles on the mini lawman, and is not sure what the next blade steel is for Cold Steel

(It's ok, we were all new here once)

1. XHP is truly magic (my left leg is bare because of my mini recon 1:D)
2. No one talks about this, but I put gorilla tape on the handles where the pocket clip is (I don't want to be the idiot that breaks their pocket clip)
3. Cold steel is moving from XHP->S35VN. BD1->AUS10A. and I don't think that they are going to change their German 4116 anytime soon

Add to the thread in some way constructive.. tl;dr is neither constructive nor helpful.

While I agree with the premise that it would be easier to read with a bit of structure, not everyone is an english major.
Do the best you can, but let's keep the critiques to a minimum.

They have come a long way in steel
and blade styles.

But also they have taken a big step back in some things.

Logos..... Broken Skull
A nice knife ruined with that huge logo.
What I do like about it?
Thinner than Endura's.
G10
XHP steel.

Really wish they would tone down the logos
and that they would make a Mini Broke Skull.

I'd rather do something that I can un-do on the mini lawman if possible. So any suggestions to smooth the removal of the mini-lawman from my pocket is appreciated.

from Mr.SATism:
2. No one talks about this, but I put gorilla tape on the handles where the pocket clip is (I don't want to be the idiot that breaks their pocket clip)

from Sonnydaze:
The OP did not want a permanent solution...I believe...
The tape works well and is removable at a later date if desired. I've used black electrician's tape (smooth) before on a BM 755 MPR that was extremely tough on pockets...

Really wish they would tone down the logos
and that they would make a Mini Broke Skull.
+1 on the CS mini BS. Their 'billboarding' is their trademark, and although it is too 'noisey' for A LOT of us, my favorite logos are the Recon 1 and the American Lawman. At least their logo development department is handled by very talented people

from Mr.SATism:

from Sonnydaze:
The OP did not want a permanent solution...I believe...
The tape works well and is removable at a later date if desired. I've used black electrician's tape (smooth) before on a BM 755 MPR that was extremely tough on pockets...
The only problem that I have with the tape is that when I do want to remove the tape, I also need to grab some wd40, or my wipes for my glasses. But I honestly don't see myself needing to remove it, and the person that I gave it to certainly isn't complaining about it.

Dude, split up the words. Good post, but impossible to read.

Pretty sure I just caught a headache trying to read OP's post. With that said I love my new Recon 1. XHP steel, Tri-Ad lock, slim profile, and light weight. One of my most carried folders. Great knife. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I actually wish the new Lawman had the thickness of the old models. The new slim handles are a bit awkward to deploy for my hands.

Let's break this up a bit:

Several years ago I got a few knives and products from Cold Steel. LIke other company's knives I kept, sold or gave away what I bought as I saw fit. I ended up keeping a Cold Steel mini-lawman, mini-AK47 and a machete that is about 18" long. I always considered the Cold Steel folders a very strong, durable and hard work knife. The tri-ad lock always has a very strong and solid feel to it. Also, reading about the design was simply amazing in being able to understand what made it work.

The thicker G-10 (without liners) handles provided a very powerful work knife IMO. My only disappointment was CS didn't use higher end blade steels. While this was somewhat disappointing I also appreciated the benefit of using a lower cost but still very adequate AUS-8A. Keeping the cost a bit lower made it easier for me to use the knife hard, get it dirty, scratched etc. Also, AUS-8A is easily resharpened quickly.

So my opinion has always been that Cold Steel knives were VERY strong and other than a few exceptions they all had AUS-8A. About a year ago something went wrong with my mini-AK47 and Cold Steel replaced it without question. When I got the replacement I noticed the handle was slimmer which made it a bit easier to carry for an EDC knife.

Other than that I wasn't aware of any changes so I tossed it in my tool box and went about life. I would like to emphasize how I was a bit bewildered how easily I could get a super scary edge on the knife as well as it seemed to keep the super sharp edge longer.

The better edge performance was noticable without me knowing the blade steel was actually XHP which I was pretty used to in several Spyderco knives I have or have had. While online about 3-4 weeks ago I found out Cold Steel had been using higher end blade steels for a while and I didn't know it. This made it obvious why I have experienced better performance and also sent me looking back at Cold Steel knives to see what other changes they made.

I had always loved the feel of my mini Lawman so when I found out it was now available in XHP also I got another one. Now I still have the AUS-8 knife as well as a new one which is slimmer making it a bit easier as an EDC knife. The one thing that hasn't changed is how the aggressive G-10 handle will destroy the top of my pockets when using the clip for EDC.

I don't remember what I did to my old mini lawman but there is a smooth spot under where the clip and handle come into contact reducing the damage to my pants. I don't remember what I did to get that smooth surface. My new AK I already smoothed the handle with sandpaper. I'd rather do something that I can un-do on the mini lawman if possible.

I won't carry the AK for EDC using the clip because I don't like the thumb stud's feature allowing it to open the blade while removing it from the pocket. I don't like it because I sometimes open the blade when I don't want to. So any suggestions to smooth the removal of the mini-lawman from my pocket is appreciated.

I will say, as a work knife I prefer the thicker handle for more aggressive cutting. I don't know Cold Steel's plan is for the new blade steels is. Personally I'd like to see the models available in different steels. Example: A mini-AK47 with XHP and also AUS-8 for those who have a preference but like the mini-AK.

:thumbsup:

I love their knives but their pocket clips and clip placement has become a deal breaker for me. For me, the clips are super tight, too short and curved. Just makes me a little :mad:

Back