1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 3 of the BladeForums 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways is live!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Busse Combat Custom Shop Flak Jack, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday January 19!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Congratulations winners! The Week 2 Giveaway has ended over on our YouTube Channel and here are the winners:
    BladeForums Logo Sticker: Impulse600
    BladeForums Velcro Patch: garythegoat
    BladeForums Logo Tshirt: crocgator106
    BladeForums paid subscription upgrade: billygoat78

Darrel Ralph Dominator 35: norcaldude Winners will be contacted by PM / email, so look for my message!

Collab with manufacturer to make the ultimate affordable chef knife

Discussion in 'Kitchen Cutlery & Tools' started by Lotmom, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Lotmom

Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    I am aiming for $100 or under. But It depends on availability and cost. Certainly no higher than $150

marchone likes this.
  2. FOG2

FOG2 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 1, 2007
    10in blade, 2 1/4 at the heel ,and with a good steel an heat treat.
    At that price.
    I would certainly buy it, as thats the knife I've been dreaming of.
    Anyone else thinking this thought??

marchone likes this.
  3. Lotmom

Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    So it looks like I'll have to sell the knife for closer to $150. I will be purchasing a mebership here on blade forums and will start accepting early bird buyers for $120

4. amflud

amflud Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2009
    I’m interested. Will you be posting these in the for sale by dealers section?

5. Aidenag

Aidenag

Apr 16, 2009
    Im curious to see how long it takes for Henkel to send the cease and desist letters. Cause honestly, when i first loaded up this thread, i literally thought you were just showing a pic of a mass production Kramer that had the makers marks removed.

Would highly suggest doing something a little different with the knife to differentiate it from one of the most iconic chef knife designs there is. Right now the blade looks like a 100% copy, and the handle nearly identical as well. As a maker i see no issue copying a blade shape or handle shape from well known designs, it happens all the time and. Only so many shapes and styles that work correctly. BUT taking every design element from a knife is another thing entirely.

Not trying to knock you personally here fyi, just saying i can't imagine Henkel or Kramer would be amused. And also, going to be hard to sell the knife as anything but a lower priced knockoff. Should work on design elements that make it your own. Would remove any risk from possible litigation, AND set your knife apart. not even major stuff. If you like the blade shape, keep it. But then make the handle more unique/less of a copy. Something as simple as changing up how the pinstock is placed/sized would even go a long way in setting it apart from the copy it is in it's current state.

6. Lotmom

Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    Once I go into production, I will.

7. Lotmom

Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016

So, to address this, this knife DOES have some serious differences to the Kramer. firstly, the Kramer is a slicer, through and through. I'd hate to imagine what would happen if you hit a big chicken bone or frozen chunk of something. This knife is being made to be a workhorse.

Secondly, the steel used (Hap40) surpasses any of the three steels that the Kramer uses in edge retention, toughness, and hardness. The only thing it looses out in is corrosion resistance, and that's because it isn't a stainless steel.

Also, I fully agree that I need to modify the design, and I will be. Ideally, I'd like custom mosaic pins, and Im already working on a new blade shape that gives it a bit more of a fine tip. Think tall Gyuto. I have been working so far with my primary backer and we have been working on a slightly changed design.

But the points you make are a really good insight! Thanks for taking the time to respond! :)

8. Aidenag

Aidenag

Apr 16, 2009
    I don't doubt it's functionally different than the standard production kramer knives are. And yours does seem higher quality than the production kramers in material choices. I was just referring to the design elements and the issues that may bring.

If it's a $150 knife that looks identical to a kramer, that makes it the cheaper knockoff by default, even if it is higher quality. Heck, my wife picked up a designer purse in Cancun that hands down beats the hell out of the $2k "real" version in quality and craftsmanship. But it was still the cheaper knockoff of the original design elements.

With a few slight changes making it your own, you def are on the right track. Just from a business perspective you would want to make sure people know it's your knife, and not literally one of the most recognizable kitchen knife designs on earth.

9. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    The more I read about your project the more I like it. If you produce a full 26cm blade I will buy one. The Kramer pattern is excellent save its thinness. The Kramer execution produces a large slicer. Not at all what I am used to using.

For reference my daily work knife for three decades was a Wustof 4584/26. My home user has always been the 4582/26. I have little use at home for the heavy blade.

I have never found anything to replace those blades for me. You prototype looks promising. :thumbsup: