Compressor for motorcycle and car tires?

Title says it all. I'd like to get a compressor for my motorcycle and car tires. Any suggestions. I'd like to keep it under a hundred dollars. Ryan

Check out the "Slime" brand, available lots of places & well under $100. I have one that's served me well for years.

Another recommendation for the "Slime" brand. I've kept one in the back of the car years, used several times a year for car, motorcycle and mower tires. Never had a problem with it. I think it was about $65 - 70.

My old Cambell Hausfeld just quit on me and I bought a Slime brand. I haven't used it yet so these reviews are encouraging. I have a Sears jump starter, light, inverter, pump, that I have used for @ 5 years and it is still going strong. I have probably used it a dozen times for jump starting and several times a year for adjusting the pressure on tires. And a few times car camping for a light and inflating the air mattress.

I've had a small Porter Cable dual tank for almost 20 years and it keeps on running, although sometimes seizes up a bit. Paid just over $100 for it and clearly got my money's worth. Use it for tires of all vehicles, cleaning out garages and loaned to a friend to use some air tools (never do that). Specials now on amazon on top few branded ones.

PORTER-CABLE C2002-WK Oil-Free UMC Pancake Compressor with 13-Piece Accessory Kit
Bostitch BTFP02012 6 Gallon Pancake Compressor
PORTER-CABLE PCFP02003 3.5-Gallon 135 PSI Pancake Compressor
DEWALT DWFP55126 6-Gallon 165 PSI Pancake Compressor

If mine dies, this will be it's replacement. Makita MAC700 Big Bore 2.0 HP Air Compressor Cast iron, oil lubricated, quieter than PC. Might last longer than my Porter Cable did.

I use a Cambell Hausfeld that has a small tank on it. It works for everything that the tank volume can handle up to about 100 psi (car tires, bike tires, trailer tires, wheel barrow tires, etc.). It does not work well with tires that run in the 60 psi area simply because of the higher pressure and volume (light truck tire). It is a the kind of compressor that you keep in your garage, versus in your trunk as it runs on regular electrical current or it the tank is large enough to handle a tire once it is fully charged.

First question is: Does it need to travel in the car trunk for parking lot use?

The common "muffin" style air compressors at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. commonly used for air nailers and framers works really well for car tire volumes, motorcycles are much easier due to less volume.

The "Slime" brand cigarette lighter style air compressors work well roadside for a low car tire but, on a pickup tire it will get pretty hot and takes a very long time. On a Honda Accord sized tire, it works well and gets the job done in 60~120 seconds. For larger pickup tires, the Porter Cable, Bostich, DeWalt, etc. compressors work much better and are not as large and bulky to store as a better cheap wheeled unit with more volume (think ~$120 from Harbor Freight/Northern Tool).

So, for
  • roadside uses the Slime units from any big box store are a good option. Mom has an old Campbell Hausfield she got ~20 years ago that still works well in the trunk of her Honda
  • car and motorcycle tires, either a portable "Slime" or plugged in unit will work acceptably but a 120V nail gun air compressor from a big box place (~$100 on sale) is much better
  • pickup and other larger sized tires, 120V nail gun air compressor or a small wheeled unit is the way to go

Thanks for th spots...I'm gonna go to lowes and get the porta cable I think it's called....its a hundred bucks on sale....I know a lot of bikers use the slime one on the road but I don't need one....if I get a flat I'm getTing my bike towed..lol...ryan

Good choice, it should serve you well. Don't forget the air chuck! :)

The Harbor Freight brass head air chuck works real well for ~$3. The plastic chucks from Wal-Mart and other places aren't worth the gas money to go get them. :mad:

Back