Consider the Cordwood Challenge

Hey Guys,

About a month and a half ago I ran across Steven Edholm's Skillcult.com blog and YT channel. He does a lot of stuff that really clicked with me, and one of the things was his Axe Cordwood Challenge. In the spring of 2016 he cut a cord of firewood solely with his axe. And he had a video essentially throwing down the gauntlet and challenging other folks to try it, to become more of an axe user vs axe "appreciator". There's a lot of folks online lately who hang a lot of axes, and own a ridiculous number of axes, and I do a bit of that myself. But there's a lot more videos of folks using axes very poorly on the web than folks using them well. If you fell, buck, and split a cord's worth of firewood with an axe, by the end of you know pretty well how to handle one properly or you've got a nifty new scar ( or fewer toes maybe)?

Here's Steven's video about the Challenge.

By the end of November I decided there were a bunch of reasons this was something I needed to do. So here are some things it has taught me,

I can chop left handed (I'm a righty). I can stand in one spot and cut the felling notch, then switch grips and chop the back cut lefthand to fell the tree. My left hand back cut isn't as pretty or efficient as I'd like, but it drops the tree where I want it.

I can buck an entire tree into firewood lengths in less than an hour. And I'm not saying that's world beating, I'm saying that it takes less time than you think. I cut eleven trees down to fill my cord, and it took me about a month's-worth of a couple hours here and there. It is not a gargantuan task that you think it is before you start.

I am 200 times more efficient at splitting wood now than before I started. Splitting is probably the thing that I was most concerned about, and I started out using a Y-crotch splitting block as detailed in Bernard Mason's book

Now I split as the wood falls, with the same axe I bucked it with. The stroke is essentially just like golf, except I square up with my foot behind the piece to be split in case it glances. Pretty much the way that Buckin' Billy Ray does in this video, except none my axe cut wood is ever standing up to split into the endgrain from above, and I don't use a double bit. If the wood is clear and I hit it right, it is usually one hit/one split on the size wood I've been cutting. If the axe sticks, which it does a lot because much of it is NOT clear, then the axe just turned itself into a pickaroon and you can move the piece into position to split into the endgrain. You just keep moving and swinging till all the wood is split, and then you bend over and start picking it up. It is mind blowing how much faster that is for me, considering that I was previously a maul and chopping block wood splitter. Splitting was almost a minor chore while I was doing the challenge.

Bucking the wood is what takes the time, and that's what builds your accuracy. As far as I'm concerned, accuracy is Moses and the Prophets in terms of skill with an axe. If you can make the axe go where you want it 99% of the time, you can do the work with far fewer swings of your axe.

Steven's got a pretty good post on his blog detailing the challenge for folks who wish to join, and I hope some guys from this forum will try it. Be warned that he's got some gory pictures of axe wounds for the tenderhearted.

I was hoping to add some pics, but for some reason Photobucket isn't uploading for me, it has been a while since I've use that account. In any case I made a video about my experiences chopping this cord, to prove I'm not blowing smoke.

I'm not calling myself an axeman, but I'm much closer now than before I did the challenge. I also have a much better idea about what I like in an axe, from a functional standpoint, and what I like in an axe handle for hours of chopping. There are things that I see people doing to their axes that won't hold up to serious work like this. Leather or paracord handle guards for one, not because they don't protect your handle, but because they are IN THE WAY. Once you get reasonably accurate your handle damage goes way down anyhow, and you don't attack the wood from the same angle that you do on the chopping block, so the handle isn't getting struck straight on by endgrain, its much more oblique angles when you do make handle contact.

I hope some folks will seriously consider doing this. I feel strongly that for all the "Axe is Back" stuff on the internet, there are a ton of guys talking about axes that are all hat and no cattle. Why is it so awesome to spend 12 hours polishing an axe head up to 10 billion grit till its optically perfect but its not worth the time to spend 12 hours in the woods making firewood with your axe? Is the axe only "back" as an item of wall decor for the man cave?

There are many things which started out as fine working tools that end up as wall hangers -very sad .They are also ground and polished by someone who knows nothing about use or sharpening.
It won't improve as modern hand tools are throw away's not designed to be sharpened .

Nice post and video Nice to see an axe used to do the job it was designed to do. Instead of an attempt to show what a display piece can do.
I would like to add one point. If someone who has the trees and means would like to do the challenge and does not burn or have use for the wood. I am sure in the colder winter states it can be donated to the elderly or disabled. Or less fortunate that do.

There is no substitute for having a purpose to use an axe, and generating and processing firewood is as good as any. With chainsaws having become cheap and fast, felling and bucking with an axe is not a common activity anymore but when you think of it sure beats forking over couple of hundred $ for a fitness club membership so you can practice being a hamster in a wheel.

Good post!

Dudley Cook's 'The Ax Book' has some great info about cutting cord wood solely by axe. While I disagree with many assertions made in that book it's still the bible for cutting firewood.

Now I split as the wood falls, with the same axe I bucked it with. The stroke is essentially just like golf, except I square up with my foot behind the piece to be split in case it glances. Pretty much the way that Buckin' Billy Ray does in this video, except none my axe cut wood is ever standing up to split into the endgrain from above, and I don't use a double bit. If the wood is clear and I hit it right, it is usually one hit/one split on the size wood I've been cutting. If the axe sticks, which it does a lot because much of it is NOT clear, then the axe just turned itself into a pickaroon and you can move the piece into position to split into the endgrain. You just keep moving and swinging till all the wood is split, and then you bend over and start picking it up. It is mind blowing how much faster that is for me, considering that I was previously a maul and chopping block wood splitter. Splitting was almost a minor chore while I was doing the challenge.

He sure makes it look easy (then again, he makes everything look easy :D )

I tried it a bit with some dry juniper and a boys axe (all I had at home) and it worked amazingly well - though with that short handle the swing was different and probably more dangerous.

Got up to work (my other home) and tried it briefly with some big ponderosa rounds - no way, no how (ok though, single bit, maybe 3# axe) Might try again with a double, but I doubt I can do those without the two mauls I usually use. Might manage it when those rounds are dry and not frozen.

He sure makes it look easy (then again, he makes everything look easy :D )

Got up to work (my other home) and tried it briefly with some big ponderosa rounds - no way, no how (ok though, single bit, maybe 3# axe) Might try again with a double, but I doubt I can do those without the two mauls I usually use. Might manage it when those rounds are dry and not frozen.

All wood splitting videos are made with straight grain easy splitting wood.

Give this guy or anyone a couple large rounds of London Plane or Elm and they will be singing a different tune. Red Alder makes great splitting videos. You just show it that you have an axe and it falls to pieces by itself.
:D

Give this guy or anyone a couple large rounds of London Plane or Elm and they will be singing a different tune. Red Alder makes great splitting videos. You just show it that you have an axe and it falls to pieces by itself.

Norway maple, too. Practically jumps out of the way of the axe.

Oxbogw,
As somebody that spends time in a gym I am watching your video thinking, this guy doesn't need a gym membership only to hear you go off a bit at the end. It was just ironic.
Nice work BTW

Nah, that guy seems like the real thing to me. I don't know 1% of what a lumberman knows, but I've known guys like that in other fields well enough to know it when I see it. That's how he makes it look easy, by experience. Just my reaction, nothing else.

He does know how to split wood. But he chose to video splitting easy wood. Show me a video of someone splitting London Plane.

i mean i would do this, but apparently only 90 year oaks can windfall over here, that and i'm lazy. i know i'm supposed to fell the trees but see reason B

He does know how to split wood. But he chose to video splitting easy wood. Show me a video of someone splitting London Plane.

Does that grow up where that guy lives? Maybe, I don't know. Here's one where he's working on some twisty, knotty stuff, no idea what it is though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWbpiLXtfvQ

The crap I'm burning tends to be like that, though I've yet to find one I couldn't beat into submission with the mauls. That stuff he's doing is tougher than what we have down here.

Not trying to toot the man's horn for him - he just seems to know his business, unlike so many others making vids of their follies. I would never have tried splitting with a double bit, but now I'll give it a shot. If it works, great, if not, back to swinging those mauls.

Does that grow up where that guy lives? Maybe, I don't know. Here's one where he's working on some twisty, knotty stuff, no idea what it is though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWbpiLXtfvQ

The crap I'm burning tends to be like that, though I've yet to find one I couldn't beat into submission with the mauls. That stuff he's doing is tougher than what we have down here.

Not trying to toot the man's horn for him - he just seems to know his business, unlike so many others making vids of their follies. I would never have tried splitting with a double bit, but now I'll give it a shot. If it works, great, if not, back to swinging those mauls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fWo0P0MdJM

Here's a good example of that flick technique. I'm no master of it at all, but she seems to be.

Buckin' Billy Ray is totally legit. He'll use a maul as needed, but prefers the double bit at which he excels. Very few videos on the internet show the kind of comfort level and competence he has with an axe in hand. When it comes to other axe work besides chopping I have no idea, but when it comes to splitting with a double bit the dude is top shelf and splits stuff I would definitely split with a maul. I doubt he could split whatever horrible wood you can think of with his double bit, but within the limits of that tool he kicks ass and my guess is that he'd run circles around most people when it comes to splitting difficult wood with a maul as well. That's because he grew up to it and also works in the industry. No substitute for time spent and cumulative experience.

golf swing splitting and splitting with an axe can be awesome or frustrating, or alternately both. I've been surprised how effective it can be when I get everything just right- aim, velocity and timing the twist right. That is often not the case, but that's why I keep doing it! It allows for high velocity since the swing is very long and body mechanics favor power when striking at foot level, which is a huge advantage. Putting wood up on a block annihilates that advantage. Like buckin' billy ray and pretty much everyone I see that is a really effective efficient splitter, I split the vast majority of stuff with the round on the ground both so I don't have to pick it up and handle it over and over and because of the increased swing space that allows for the generation of more power. Actually, it's not just the space, but body mechanics as well. Golf swing just goes one step further and leaves it lying there or tilting any which way. I also suspect that axe cut wood splits easier that saw cut wood by this method. I didn't believe it at first, but I keep thinking it's true when i'm doing it. It might be because there is less mass to divide apart initially at the wedge shaped end of an axe bucked log so the split begins with less energy absorbed and it's easier going from there. If the flick is timed right and adequately exaggerated, it can work really well. It is really fun and satisfying when it works as Tim can attest. Can it work on super tough wood? Likely not, but then you just move on and do whatever does work. I'll beat on a log for quite a long while before I give up, but that is the only way I'm going to get better at it.

The cordwood challenge isn't for everyone for sure and a lot of people simply don't have access to the wood regardless of whether they want to do it or not. It is a rewarding and edifying experience though.

I would like to try if I can make the time. No way I could split like he does since I have mostly Hickory and Oak.
However I know I have the stamina to do it but time I don't know about. How about the face cord challenge ;)

I know no one that is willing to be recorded for posterity while tangling with ornery elm/ironwood (and Plane, I guess) rounds. For one thing the sound would have to be off because profane expletives become part of the ritual.

i can testify for buckin, i don't know him personally but i can tell you he knows what he's doing. i didnt know you watched buckin, skill, i'll keep an eye out for ya. if you want to figure out who i am, so far i'v been the only one to send him a hung axe

I know no one that is willing to be recorded for posterity while tangling with ornery elm/ironwood (and Plane, I guess) rounds

I'll do it! email me some logs! The toughest thing I've encountered hereabouts is green bay. Some really crossknit pieces I have to let season, and it's still not always a go. If I have something ridiculously hard, I throw it in a ditch or burn it in a burn pile. Not shortage of easy wood around here. I guess some people aren't so fortunate.

I didn't watch the video but this comes as no surprise to me. Seems like every youtube video I've ever watched of wood processing is like that and I sure don't have much luck finding that kind of wood where I live. Mulberry, Oak, Hedge, Red Elm .... nah. I am trying to picture myself bucking a 3 foot diameter Burr Oak or cutting any wood at all while it's green ... or splitting it if I do. Nah, never gonna happen. I want to HEAT my house, not convert endless cords of wood that burns like a rolled up newspaper into heaps of ash.

Back