1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering an Umnumzaan

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by JJ_Colt45, Dec 16, 2017.

1. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Hey all, I'm sure this has probably been discussed and revisited many times but even after searches and reading all I can I find myself still wanting more information or perhaps input and advice would be better terms ... I own a few Sebenza 21s Large and Small ... Clip ... Insingo ... and even one Tanto ... I also own Nyalas in both Clip and Insingo ... I also own a 25 and recently purchased a CRK/Wilson Large Inkosi ... and I admit I love all of them ...

I have been interested in an Umnumzaan but I have yet to find one to handle and even after reading several threads and write ups on them ... I find myself on the fence a bit about buying one still ...

The appearance appeals to me alot with the Iconic tip and I feel confident in CRK's quality ... so I'm not sure just what is holding me back.

I was hoping to get some good insight on the major differences both good or bad ... some input on the rubber O rings? ... and impressions of them compared to the other CRK models from those who have owned and used the various models for some time ... to maybe give me more to base my decesion to try one or not a bit clearer.

I appreciate any advice input or guidance to threads or articles that may give me all the information I may need to make a decesion ...

Thanks JJ

2. bhyde

bhyde UNNECESSARY EVIL Staff Member Super Mod Moderator Platinum Member

Mar 19, 2002
    This probably won't help

[​IMG]

Ikitagawa357, rexromic, ESCA and 6 others like this.
  3. JJ_Colt45

Sep 11, 2014
    lol ... well it confirms my faith in CRKs quality ... if I could just reach through and fondle one for 5 minutes I'd probably be asking Santa for a last minute gift.

Very nice collection ... do you prefer the Umnumzaan over the other CRK models? ... or am I about to get another picture to make my eye pop out?

bhyde likes this.
  4. bhyde

Mar 19, 2002
    Not sure how to explain the differences because it's just different than the others you mentioned but has genealogy closest to the 25 or Inkosi. The major difference is in how you open it. You slide your thumb along the scale rather than the arcing motion you would use with the Sebenza family of knives. Some, albeit a small percentage, find this challenging enough to move them on to someone else. Sometimes, the detent is a bit strong as well and does take a little breaking in to get that worked out.

Thin-Slice, blanco112 and JJ_Colt45 like this.
  5. JJ_Colt45

Sep 11, 2014
    I've never had any issues with strong detents or learning a slightly different motion to open a knife ...

I guess maybe the biggest thing holding me back is wondering about the rubber O rings ... do they need replaced often? ... and maintaince on the Umnumzaan compared to the other models?

6. bhyde

Mar 19, 2002
    :)

That picture is posted a few places..was waiting on one to come in to take another family pic.
    I do prefer the Umnumzaan for the most part, but really do like the Inkosi and 25. Getting by the way the Umnumzaan opens is the biggest challenge as I previously stated. Really, I don't think you would be disappointed in the Umnumzaan. The o-rings are not really needed per Tim Reeve. They are there to quiet it down just a bit and work really well. Don't have an issue with them and they are pretty cheap for a bunch from other places if that was a concern. There were some concerns with a special tool to take down the version I have and collect in the early days, but CRK rectified that with the hex pivot (1/8in) so it's pretty easy to service.

JJ_Colt45 likes this.
  7. bhyde

Mar 19, 2002
    Maintenance is really easy too..It's pretty hard to pinch a washer the way it goes together.. The other worry about the Umnumzaan is the use of loc-tite for adjusting the pivot..but this isn't any different than the Inkosi or the 25 and to me is actually not an issue. I don't use the loc-tite, but it is recommended by CRK.

HST and JJ_Colt45 like this.
  8. JJ_Colt45

Sep 11, 2014
    Well that helps ... I am actually really liking the Inkosi I just picked up ... and always liked the 25 also. If the O rings aren't a major concern ... and maintaince isn't terribly complicated ... I think this were my 2 biggest questions ...

I have to say I keep looking over you picture ... do you have a preference with the tips ? ... do you prefer the harpoon over the tanto or other? The harpoon tip is one feature that really caught my attention.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  9. JJ_Colt45

Sep 11, 2014
    I've never found the need for loctite on any of my CRKs either but I guess if you keep them up you notice and keep things tightened properly.

10. bhyde

Mar 19, 2002
    I prefer the drop point (harpoon) over the tanto- There is a tanto there because I am trying to collect one of each version from every year of production and any transitional models that I may find in between. The dealer exclusives such as the TNK Tanto had two flavors. I have the Dynamic tip, but have had no luck finding anyone willing to let go of the standard tanto yet. I believe that is the last old pivot Umnumzaan I need to complete the collection.

JJ_Colt45 and mrknife like this.
  11. JJ_Colt45

Sep 11, 2014
    Well thanks for all the information ... and sharing your impressions on the knife ... and the picture I may be looking at til the sun comes up lol.

I like my 21 Tanto but for the Umnumzaan the drop point or harpoon is one of the major draws for me. I have a feeling you may have answered my questions enough I'll be ordering one soon.

And good luck finding that last tanto tip to complete your collection.

Thanks again JJ !!!

bhyde likes this.
  12. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    I bought the original tanto version from TNK as soon as it came out and have used it a lot over the years. I have never needed to take it apart and have replaced the o-rings only once maybe three or four years ago. One of my favorite and most used knife.

JJ_Colt45 likes this.
  13. JJ_Colt45

Sep 11, 2014
    Thanks for your response unwise ... I'm thinking an Umnumzaan is definately now on my wish list ... it may even move up and take over for my Christmas present.

I do appreciate everyones help it's why I love the forums so much ... even though I had researched and read and watched videos ... I guess for me there's nothing like real feedback from fellow enthusiasts to give that little vote of confidence ... or is that enabling? ... :oops: ... well either way I do appreciate it.

Thanks JJ

14. uofaengr

uofaengr Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Since it seems like you have a pretty healthy CRK collection, and you don't mind the big knives, I think you'd enjoy having it in your collection. I'd recommend picking one up used to see how you like it. The Umnumzaan is one of those knives that's cool as hell, but I've never been able to justify keeping it---I've had two. Whenever some time passes and I see pictures of it, I start wanting one again. But I say go for it.

15. JJ_Colt45

Sep 11, 2014
    I've been looking at them for awhile now and kept hoping to run into one at a gunshow or somewhere to handle first ... but I can't deny I still see them and want one ... so I think after getting some questions answered I will probably sooner than later buy one ... if for some reason I find it isn't for me I'll pass it along at a small loss and someone else can give it a try for a small discount.

16. blanco112

blanco112 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 1, 2016
    All I can say is I waited a long while to get my Umnumzaan even though it was one of the first CRKs I considered. I just kept getting other models instead. When I finally pulled the trigger the only thing I regretted was waiting so long. It's everything we love about CRK in a simple, yet more interesting package.

JJ_Colt45 likes this.
  17. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    The umnumzaan is quiet when it locks up. The o-rings dampen the distinct “ thawk” that is so familiar with CRK’s. You can get different color o-rings for it. I’ve had one that the o-rings became flat where it contacts the slabs. IMO, the slabs with the cross cuts provide better grip in wet conditions.
    The only drawback is that I struggle to open the knife with my off hand. I guess I’m not that anal about CRK’s, after all they do make a good selection of left handed knives :)
    If you like the Inkosi and 25, the umnumzaan will prove it’s worth.

Thin-Slice and JJ_Colt45 like this.
  18. JJ_Colt45

Sep 11, 2014
    Glad to hear this ... that's kind of the same spot I've found myself in for awhile ... I keep looking but just haven't pulled the trigger yet ... but I think now it's on my buy list on the near future.

Thanks again to everyone responding JJ

19. JJ_Colt45

Sep 11, 2014
    I am luckily pretty ambidextrous ... but lean towards right handed ... but I'm looking forward to the Umnumzaan now instead of wondering about it.

20. miso2

miso2 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2014
    It may not be necessary to convince the op anymore, but just in case......

[​IMG]

Glock Guy, Thin-Slice and uofaengr like this.