Convex grind / Satin Jack Tac question

First off, will the Satin Jack Tac be offered in a full flat grind? I wasn't sure if the convex version was just a special issue or if it will be the only grind available.

If not, and it is only being offered in the full convex, would I run into problems using an Edge Pro to sharpen it? It seems like it wouldn't work too well since the flat of the grind wouldn't really be flat and it would tend to wobble on the blade tray. I am not really liking the sharpening method I read about that you have to sharpen the entire flat of the blade instead of just the edge.

I was really looking at a Satin Jack Tac to replace my Mad Dog I sold last fall as my backpacking/camping knife, but I don't know if I want to worry about it being a pain to sharpen, and don't need the extra lateral strength (re: weight) of the convex grind.
Thanks!

Full convex grinds aren't too difficult to sharpen. Regular stropping will keep the edge sharp for ages. I've brought the edge back on my Fallknivens by stropping them on my jeans.

Check out the Fallkniven forum on the other forum. There are a couple of threads about putting a bevel/micro bevel on a convex blade.

David

im not going to lie to you on this one - it probably will be a pain to sharpen on an edge pro (i have one and wondered about it the first time i saw it as well). if it was a saber convex grind, id say that you could rest it on the spine area's flat area, but with a perfectly full convex knife im not sure. you may be able to push down on the edge hard to keep it from moving around on the table, but im pretty sure it would (my fingers nearly fell of from doing that with my strider mt when i reprofiled it (about a year and a half ago).

its definitely worth learning how to hand sharpen, if your willing to. the stropping process is really easy for it, and its a lot easier to carry into the feild then the edgepro is.

as to stropping the entire blade flat to sharpen it, thats not required. you can put a v grind for the cutting edge and be just fine.

you might be able to get busse to flatten out the grinds for you (they are doing a lot more customization work on production blades now that the new production protocalls are in place), though it would be at an additional fee.

but, then again they may offer it with a flat grind.

remember you can strop with sand paper on a mouse pad, use super fine grit from the knife supply suppliers. works well.

Back