1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convince me that I need a CRK

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by cdf293, Apr 28, 2018.

1. cdf293

cdf293 Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 27, 2016
    I know the title is probably going to come across as a troll post but I can assure you that it isn't.

Here's the deal: I am looking for 1 more knife to add to my stable of 6. I like to use my knives and want the option to carry a different one each day of the week if I choose to do so. I don't want a custom because I will be using it and feel that it makes more sense, for me, to stick with production knives. Having said this, I also don't have an issue spending significant money (within reason) on a knife for general daily use. My knives are used as tools, not decor, but I use them for their intended purpose, not as prybars, screwdrivers, or any task which isn't suitable.

To cut to the chase, i'm leaning towards a large Sebenza with a Damascus blade. Am I bent on Damascus? No, but I want something unique for the EDC rotation. I realize that I am in the CRK forums so I expect to receive nothing other than praise for the Sebenza. I have a genuine interest in adding a CRK as my final folder but would really like some feedback on what it is that makes you happy that you own one. If I had the option of handling one locally, I wouldn't need to ask this question and could make the determination if it's right for me without this thread. I know the best option is probably to order one and return it if I don't like it but I really don't like returning items unless there is a defect. Plus, since I will carry it and put it to work, I prefer to buy used so I don't cringe when I put that inevitable first scratch in it. Also, does the warranty follow the knife or the original owner?
    Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

2. aengina

aengina

Jul 25, 2010
    Warranty follows the knife. If you are a noticer of details, you will really appreciate a Sebenza. But if you buy one, you may catch the sickness. I thought I would be happy with only one. Somehow I ended up with seven. Lolz

cdf293 likes this.
  3. cdf293

Oct 27, 2016
    Thanks for the response and the warranty info.
    And yes, I seem to have a much greater appreciation for details after my last purchase.

4. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Dazed and Confused Platinum Member

May 3, 2011
    I was at a party last night, and in the conversation a guy sitting by me said he's getting his Masters degree in mechanical engineering. On a whim, I handed him the Sebenza in my pocket. He messed with it for a minute, said he's never heard of it before, but that he was VERY impressed with the precision he was holding.

5. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Lots of fine knives out there, but certainly worth at least giving it a try. It is the only way you will know for sure if it is for you. They make very nice users, well made, easiest to break down of any knife I own, great warranty and customer service.
    Besides they are chick magnets:)

red mag and cdf293 like this.
  6. DrRollinstein

DrRollinstein Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    They are genuinely just some of the most solidly built production knives. Very few companies can boast the level of fit and finish Crk offers. Plus that warranty is bomb.

cdf293 likes this.
  7. lex137

lex137 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 24, 2012
    I’ve got a couple of different brands knives and my Sebenza is my favorite. I even like it more than the inkosi that I have.

cdf293 likes this.
  8. bvo85

bvo85 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2017
    Did you hand him a hex key, too, so he could get the full experience? :)

9. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    I just ordered my first Sebenza, I am sure it will be everything I expect it to be and more. I have always wanted one.

Mike Large, cdf293 and OLd_gUY like this.
  10. bvo85

Apr 27, 2017
    I don't like the current Damascus blades because they are masked in a poor way around the pivot such that when you're opening the knife, you can see jagged imperfections. I'm not an expert on this, but I read they used to mask the pivot more cleanly, and it would look perfectly round, but people complained it was slightly gritty in the action. I've never felt an old one, but I did buy and return a new one because I was disappointed in how ugly the pivot area looked.

If you want a more unique piece, then consider an inlay model. Carbon Fiber or one of the stabilized woods. Depending on how much you want to spend, consider buying an older "Regular" model, in S30V because it's usually $100 to $200 cheaper than BG42 but has the same aesthetic, which will also be unique, with respect to modern sebenzas (model 21).

My recommendations for a hard use, but unique looking Sebenza depending on your budget would be:

Budget of $350 -- plain Sebenza 21 Large (not unique looking, but baseline price)
    Budget of $500 -- Inlay Sebenza 21 Large in CF or Wood
    Budget of $650 -- Regular Sebenza Large in S30V
    Budget of $800 -- Inlay Sebenza 21 Large in Mammoth Ivory

Always get the large. The small is a bit too small, unless legally you can only carry a small in your area.

tuica and cdf293 like this.
  11. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Dazed and Confused Platinum Member

May 3, 2011
    3 hex keys, it was my 25.

CF25_Arrival-2.jpg

cdf293 and bvo85 like this.
  12. OLd_gUY

OLd_gUY Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    I just got my first one after many years of wanting one. Couldn't be happier that I finally got it. The more I use it, the happier I am. Good advice from bvo85.

cdf293 likes this.
  13. cdf293

Oct 27, 2016
    Thanks for the responses everyone- I really appreciate it.
    I think I've just about convinced myself to proceed. Since I am trying to use the info that everyone is offering to make an informed decision, it sounds like it may be a pass on the Damascus. I guess I need to check into this a little more. If I were going to pass on the Damascus blade, I'd probably be more likely to go with an Inkosi.
    As far as sizes are concerned, I prefer larger knives/blades. Most of the time I have a 3.5" - 4" blade in my pocket.

A question for bvo85- on the Damascus knife you returned, was it a cosmetic thing in the pivot area or was it a gritty feel? Or both? I can't stand a gritty action and that would be an immediate turnoff to me, regardless of cost.

To everyone who is responding- are there any things specific to CRK that I should be cautious of if looking to purchase used? I'm referring to issues beyond what I would ordinarily be concerned about with any used knife, such as stripped screws, blade alignment, lockup issues, etc..
    If I were to buy used, it would be from the exchange or a reputable online dealer, no eBay or Amazon purchases for this.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  14. lex137

lex137 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Most of the time sellers put as much detailed photos as possible, you can always ask for photos that you want. Often times people will sell a brand new never used (like I did) because a CRK that I really wanted came up for sale.

cdf293 likes this.
  15. OLd_gUY

OLd_gUY Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    PM sent

16. cdf293

Oct 27, 2016
    Got it.
    Thanks.

17. bvo85

Apr 27, 2017
    To respond to a few questions:

1) It was cosmetic in the pivot area. when you open the knife, you could see the part of the blade around the pivot that wasn't etched (was stainless shiny). But that area was mooshy and not a nice round shape. That's by design because in the past, they used to focus on making it perfectly round, but they turned out slightly gritty.

2) For $700, I strongly, strongly suggest you look for a Large Regular Sebenza in S30V. If you can find one in BG42, even better, but those are harder to find and might not be possible in that price range. The benefit here is that the knife will appreciate in value due to it being discontinued/rare. Also, it looks cooler due to the scalloping on the handle. Do some research for "Regular Sebenza" on the forums. S30V is newer steel. They were made in BG42 from around 1996 until 2000 and then 2000 to 2008 in S30V, and discontinued in 2008 in favor of the Sebenza 21, which I believe is the 21 year anniversary of the start of CRK sebenzas. If you ever decide you don't like it, you can get it refurbished back to looking like new from the factory for around $30 round-trip shipping and resell it, possibly for a profit.

3) The main thing you want to avoid are modifications to the knife. If someone scotch brighted the handles or anodized them a different color, or ground something into the handle/blade, then it voids the warranty and CRK will not refinish it for you. Anything else, I don't really worry about other than maybe a large chip in the blade edge or the tip broken off. If the screws stripped, they are $3 each and not a big deal.

One last point I missed earlier. Go with either Large Regular Sebenza or Sebenza 21. They use pivot bushings (look it up if you aren't familiar). The 25 and Inkosi series do not use pivot bushings. Some people prefer the non-pivot bushing model, but in my opinion, it's the pivot bushing that makes a sebenza a sebenza and I'd rather get a ZT or something else than go with a bushingless-CRK knife.

cdf293 and OLd_gUY like this.
  18. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    I find that the Damascus doesn’t hold an edge as good as S35VN, but not by much. With use, the etching on the Damascus will fade. I believe you can send it in and CRK will re etch it, but only one time. I’ve got two that I use regularly, bought used and have not experienced any gritty action on either one.
    Personally, I’d buy one from here. Before pulling the trigger, look at the sellers profile to see if they’re a regular in the CRK forum or if they’re just selling a knife that happens to be a CRK. Ask questions, has it been taken apart, been back to CRK for service, if they’re the original owner. Make sure it comes with everything that was included form the factory.
    Lastly, pick up one that has inlays, doesn’t matter which inlay. Trust me, you’ll be happier with a inlay.

cdf293 and OLd_gUY like this.
  19. cdf293

Oct 27, 2016
    I sure am glad I posted this thread.
    I'm getting a lot of help and learning plenty of things I didn't know I wanted and needed to know about CRK.
    Thanks! I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to respond but I especially appreciate the educational input from bvo85.

I have other knives with washers and bearings and want the CRK experience, so the large Sebenza (or 21) it is.

OLd_gUY likes this.
  20. VermontEdge

VermontEdge

Jun 10, 2015
    I was in your shoes not long ago, and since jumping on the CRK train I’ve been tempted to buy other knives. However, what brought me here in the first place and what keeps me from diverging from CRK is reliability, plain and simple.

First of all, as previously stated, the warranty follows the knife, which is wonderful.

Secondly, that warranty is golden. Love the option for spa service, and knowing that handle scales, screws, washers, and blade are all replaceable.

Third, the tolerances and ease of breakdown is a true thing of beauty. I used to get so nervous breaking knives down, worried that I would put them back together to find blade play or poor centering. The fact that I can break a crk down and reassemble it perfectly and feeling like new is so wonderful.

Finally, they’re just great cutting tools. The hollow grind, the lockup, the steel (I hear great things about Damascus and have one on the way right now).

Anyway, I’ll end with this. These knives beg to be used, and really shine when they’re put to the test. I can understand someone unboxing a first crk and (potentially) saying “this is it?”. But the beauty and appreciation comes from the details and comes from use.

Needless to say, I can’t recommend CRK highly enough. I’ve been through eight crks and currently owning three, I couldn’t be happier.

Let us know what you decide!