Coppersmith SM Lockback and Barlow

Discussion in 'KA-BAR Knives' started by BrotherJim, Feb 17, 2015.

1. BrotherJim

BrotherJim

Feb 9, 2015
    [​IMG]

KA-BAR Coppersmith Dog's Head Lockback and Barlow right out of the box ... literally. Maybe more pictures later. These pups are stunning !!!

Canal Street Cutlery made these for KA-BAR I believe, correct?

Copper, Rootbeer Brown Jigged Bone ... YUM !!!

Not handled much yet. Pull is perfect for me. Smooth and consistent on both. F/F on the Barlow is noticeable better than the lockback.

Barlow main blade is not perfectly centered (nit picky nit picky LoL) ... that's all I see.

Lockback: Slight gaps between spring and liners on the spine in the lock release area. Another gap on one side, nearer the blade. Lock release has a little hitch in the giddyup when depressed but feels as though that will breakin soon enough. With the gaps, the release does sit slightly closer to one liner than the other.

Lockback: Spring is flush when closed and spring is ever so slightly recessed at the spring/blade transition when open and locked. I don't mind this at all, nor is it uncomfortable at all as my thumb or index finger rests in this blade transition area and is able to gain a pleasing bit of purchase and control of the knife. If it were one of the other, I'm pleased the spring is slightly recessed rather than proud in the transition area.

There are no F/F "flaws" that are show stoppers or will affect performance.

Both have nice, even blade edges and bevels. Both are sharp OOTB but the lockback is noticeably sharper.

The lockback is D2 and the barlow is 14-4CrMO

The lockback is surprisingly light for the size and material while the barlow has just the heft you'd expect in a well made barlow. Both are a pleasure in the hand, well balanced with no hot spots.

I'm only a little disappointed in the F/F of the Lockback. Overall, I'm very pleased :)

Keeping my copper Zippo company ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  2. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Nice. I've been eyeing that copper Barlow for quite some time now. Will eventually end up with one if I don't wait too long.

3. hawaiianhawk

hawaiianhawk

Dec 25, 2009
    Those are some real beauties you have there.

4. Guyon

Guyon Biscuit Whisperer Staff Member Super Mod

Mar 15, 2000
    Correct. Congrats on the new knives!

5. BrotherJim

BrotherJim

Feb 9, 2015
    Thank you sir !!! Man they're nice

6. Guyon

Mar 15, 2000
    I got this one at Blade Show last year.

[​IMG]

7. Guyon

Mar 15, 2000
    BrotherJim, the knives are fantastic, of course, but I am totally digging the patina on that copper Zippo. :thumbup:

8. DunkEm

DunkEm

Dec 9, 2013
    Those are gorgeous! And the matching Zippo just makes the set.

9. Moosez45

Moosez45 Custom Antlers, Factory Knives... Moderator

Jul 14, 2010
    That Zippo has seem some pocket time........no doubt.

Moose

10. Guyon

Mar 15, 2000
    2003 run. I beens lookin' on da' 'bay.

11. wazu013

wazu013

Dec 14, 2011
    I'm really impressed with the look of the copper. I have the Wharncliffe Barlow on my short list. I think once the copper get some patina on it will really look good. Either way is good though.