Could you wear a Busse out?

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by Murman, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Murman

Murman Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 11, 2015
    I'm thinking with normal sharpening and use a big blade will out live the user. I've seen some intentional destruction but I don't thing that, used for cutting, you could wear one out. What say you? Pictures of your worn blades please.

2. Srtr

Srtr

Feb 9, 2016
    most people couldnt wear out a poorly heat treated 1095 blade.

Give me enough time and i could break anything lol.

Cereal_killer likes this.
  3. zombieassassin

zombieassassin Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2015
    As long as you stay away from watermelons, INFI will last forever.

Korean Hog, honorearth and stjones like this.
  4. littlehoot

littlehoot Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2015
    I'm guessing there's a story there somewhere

5. Murman

Nov 11, 2015
    Lol yeah I said a couple weeks ago that I used my Randall on a water melon and zombie is razzin me about it.

6. zombieassassin

zombieassassin Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2015
    All in good fun brother.
    Nice score on that AALB

Murman likes this.
  7. elof_alv

elof_alv Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2009
    That depends on who's sharpening the blades. There's one or two magicians around these parts that loose about quarter inch of blade width to reprofile the edge...

8. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
    I wore my two year old out yesterday, so I guess Anything is possible really.

9. tomthebaker

tomthebaker Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Just watch out for rocks.

10. Murman

Nov 11, 2015
    what is happening when you use a busse and ceramic rod stroping doesn't return it to sharp?

11. rwdata

rwdata Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Time to sharpen.

Murman likes this.
  12. gk4ever2

gk4ever2 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2008
    I would guess the sharpening angle is not quite right and the rod is not contacting the very tip of the edge, especially if the sides of the edge are slightly rounded (like with a convex edge). With free hand sharpening a v-edge can become slightly convex with inconsistent sharpening angles. So in other words, the rod could be removing some metal on the sides of the edge but not at the very edge itself, and therefore you would not see much improvement in sharpness.

Try using a magnifying glass to inspect the edge to get a better idea of where the metal is being removed. You can also color the edge black with a marker, sharpen it a little, and then inspect the edge to see where the metal is being removed - this will help show if your edge is flat or somewhat rounded, and if the angle is correct or not.

MADDMAN and Murman like this.
  13. 360joules

360joules Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 2013
    That knife has obviously seen its last days. Once the "best by" date has passed, it's only a matter of time before you just have to throw it out.

Murman likes this.
  14. tomthebaker

tomthebaker Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 9, 2005
    I convex my edges. When it is no longer hair-popping sharp, I use a leather belt with compound. When that no longer works, I use a 1000 grit belt, then leather.

Murman likes this.
  15. evltcat

evltcat Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2011
    All I manged to do was wear off some coating, and roll the edge. Little 800 grit action and back at it...
    Chopped food, an evil looking nutcracker, and cut a wood frame chair to small enough bits to fit in a trash can.
    Stripped her and she looks marvelous!
    [​IMG]

Still Voracious likes this.
  16. extrastout

extrastout Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2013
    only by there marketing

17. extrastout

extrastout Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2013
    lets drink!

18. F'lar

F'lar Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Going strong for years. Been drinking. :confused:

Attached Files:

19. MADDMAN

MADDMAN Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Used my Moabolo to cut a 14ft couch into 5 large pieces so that we could remove it from the basement a couple of weeks ago... Darned if I didn't have to use a leather strop to touch her up a bit afterwards--for a second she was almost dull... almost.

20. Switchblade_renegade

Switchblade_renegade Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Last year I gave a buddy of mine a MBC cause I know he would go hard on it, earlier this year he snapped about half inch of the tip clean off by trying to pry a trailor hitch apart!! I was like damn Dave you really do use a knife for everything!

hydeinmind likes this.