1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 3 of the BladeForums 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways is live!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Busse Combat Custom Shop Flak Jack, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday January 19!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Congratulations winners! The Week 2 Giveaway has ended over on our YouTube Channel and here are the winners:
    BladeForums Logo Sticker: Impulse600
    BladeForums Velcro Patch: garythegoat
    BladeForums Logo Tshirt: crocgator106
    BladeForums paid subscription upgrade: billygoat78

Darrel Ralph Dominator 35: norcaldude Winners will be contacted by PM / email, so look for my message!

Couple Questions on BK62

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by Sulaco, Jan 11, 2019 at 9:09 AM.

1. Sulaco

Sulaco

Nov 15, 2003
    I've been waiting on a good copy of Horace's fixed blade knife for a long time and this one seems pretty close.

Couple questions though, and I apologize if these have already been asked/answered. I don't spend a lot of time on the internet.

Is the primary grind flat or convex?

Is appears there is a secondary grind, a v-edge?

I have very large hands. Any of you bigger guys have trouble with the shorter grip length? I typically need a minimum of around 5" of grip length or my pinky falls off the end. Not a deal breaker, just curious.

Any ideas if there are lefty sheaths available or will be? I have plenty and can get some, just like these and would be neat if there were.

What's the finish? tumbled or something? I plan to patina it in heated up red wine vinegar to stop corrosion, if I do get one.

Thanks.

2. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    Hi Sulaco,

The primary grind is flat, and there is a secondary V edge bevel. Very similar to other Ka-bar knives. I don't think they do convex-anything from the factory. The thickness behind the edge is appropriate for a blade this size & thickness - it's not over-built, but neither is it delicate. The tapered tang is a really nice touch on a factory knife, and the balance point is right between my first and second fingers, which means lots of control and it won't tend to slip out of the hand under its own weight.

The grip is not long. I have large-glove, but skinny hands. It's big enough, but not huge. Hopefully Dubz will comment here, he's mega-handy. The fact that it's straight lets you make use of all of it.

The finish is tumbled, very smooth. It's nicely done, with no tooling marks on the major surfaces. It FEELS like it came wiped or waxed in something, so you might want to clean it thoroughly before attempting an intentional patina.

3. Sulaco

Sulaco

Nov 15, 2003
    Thanks!

4. Rebel Nimrod

Rebel Nimrod Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Just like the original it was copied from, the handle is fairly tall, but kinda short. It works, but no extra length. If you have extra wide hands it could be an issue. They left the flat grind blade a little thicker than I was expecting.

5. The Warrior

The Warrior ◄Dubzerator► Moderator

Mar 11, 2011
    I have xl hands, and it is a little short, but not a deal breaker, since the handle is straight, and there's no contours hitting in the wrong places. The handle is narrow, but orients in the hand very well. I don't find it uncomfortable at all. I did a mustard/vinegar patina on mine as well. Here's a link: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/becker-bk62-mod.1632929/

[​IMG]

6. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    it's a good 3 to 3 1/2 finger grip, and the rounded butt is comfortable.
    I used mine pretty much out of the box to gut, skin, disjoint, and debone a deer without stopping to sharpen and while it didn't shave arm hair when I was done, it still carved meat just fine.
    there was also no hand fatigue or hot spots - which kind of surprised me due to how thin the handle is.

7. Xr6x

Xr6x Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 17, 2015
    We are all very lucky Ethan was so very Kind and Generous to allow KaBar to copy his pride and joy so we all could own this piece Awesomeness :thumbsup::thumbsup:

8. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    My hands are a bit larger than average and even though the scales are thin it is pretty comfortable because of the shape ...

if you need a left handed sheath some have been using other sheaths with good results ...think a few are posted in one of the BK62 threads ...

but if you'd like a nice leather sheath made for you I highly recommend Makael ... he made me a beautiful leather sheath fir a BK5 and inside a weeks time ... and he does nice work.

Xr6x, Tanker 1/66 and tanglediver like this.
  9. Xr6x

Xr6x Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 17, 2015
    I'am not much of a leather fan but I'am more than satisfied with what came with the 62 :thumbsup: it just works and looks the part ;) but I do want to say I totally agree that Makael definitely makes some very nice looking Leather Sheaths for sure :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The Warrior likes this.
  10. tjswarbrick

tjswarbrick Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2011
    I too wear XL gloves.
    The handle surprised me in being a 3-finger affair and slimmer than a tweener. But I agree with those above. Much like the utility knife in the kitchen, it is just right for the tasks which should be performed with the knife. Cutting, trimming, slicing, bushcraft, that sort of thing. I don't see it as a stabby or choppy kind of blade for which I would need an ultra secure hand-filling handle. Bring a 9, 20/29, or axe for those types of things.

Xr6x likes this.
  11. 1066vik

Nov 28, 2009
    exactly - there's a reason nessmuk & kephart carried small hatchets in addition to their sheath knife and multi-blade slipjoints.
    each cutting edge had more than 1 purpose and it gave them 4-5 cutting edges to define specific tasks for.

tjswarbrick and Xr6x like this.
  12. Swampdog

Swampdog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 14, 2007
    I am left-handed and ordered a "traditional foldover" sheath from Makael for my BK-62, the sheath is actually ambidextrous, he does excellent work.

13. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Four finger grip on the handle for me and a little room to spare. Some of you guys must have large hands.

It is a great knife and I'm proud of it.

14. 1066vik

Nov 28, 2009
    maybe a little...
    [​IMG]

if I'm wearing gloves, the full size handles become a 3-finger grip...

The Warrior likes this.
  15. The Warrior

The Warrior ◄Dubzerator► Moderator

Mar 11, 2011
    Yup, a little...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1066vik likes this.
  16. tjswarbrick

tjswarbrick Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2011