CQC-14 snubby

I just happened upon the new snubby "legal" commander. Does anybody have any experience with it? I've got a full-size Commander that I don't use because it isn't legal length in my area, but snubby has my full attention.

Edit: Is Emerson moving away from the "chisel" grind to a more "normal" v?

I handled one and I thought it was very nice. I'm pretty sure the edge was not chisel ground but I'm not sure about the overall blade.

Great knife with a full size handle and a smaller blade. Like a lot of small(er)blades, it can do many jobs a larger can and you can probably carry it legally. I think you'll be pleased. Does not have a chisel grind.

The 14 is a really good knife, i like the one i have alot.
I dont carry it as much as i could but in Taiwan i have no real legal limit to blade length so i can pack my 12 with no worries.

The "V" grind is one you will find on quite a few EKIs, there is not that many with chisel grinds actually. The 7s, Kerambits, La griffe and one or two others are a chisel grind but the rest are V ground.
The edge bevel is still on one side and that can sometimes cause a bit of confusion as to weather its V or Chisel ground but they all cut at the end of the day. :thumbup:

I think it's one of emerson's best handle erg's to date!!Great knife a must have for emerson fans.Small blade that packs a punch like the heavy weight.:thumbup:

i for one wish EKI would change there terminology as to the grinds because imho regardless of what they wanna call them they arent a conventional "v" grind like say on a plain edge spyderco delica, to me thats a conventional "V" grind, imho it causes a lot of confusion for folks, and of course i realise they are mostly technically correct in the description, mostly lol.

not that i dont like the grinds, not the case, but imho they dont cut like, you dont sharpen them like a conventional "v".

& EKI does not make a conventional "v" grind like described above, the '12 is imho the closest to that and its not quite a conventional "v".

personally, imho they should move to a more conventional grind as imho the way they grind offers no advantages over a std "v", none i can think of anyway.

and again, they arent bad, i just think they would be better w/a std grind.

I just took delivery of my CQC-14 Snubby this PM. It seems to be a very well made knife and is very sturdy. You do have to make sure that you angle the pivot-end of the knife forward and up when you draw it from your pocket. If you do not, the wave feature can snag on your pocket and open the blade (as it is intended to do). The short blade makes it difficult to wrap your fingers around the blade to make sure it does not open by accident when pulling it out of your pocket. I am sure with a bit more practice I will be able to draw it from my pocket without it opening unintentionally.

I just took delivery of my CQC-14 Snubby this PM. It seems to be a very well made knife and is very sturdy. You do have to make sure that you angle the pivot-end of the knife forward and up when you draw it from your pocket. If you do not, the wave feature can snag on your pocket and open the blade (as it is intended to do). The short blade makes it difficult to wrap your fingers around the blade to make sure it does not open by accident when pulling it out of your pocket. I am sure with a bit more practice I will be able to draw it from my pocket without it opening unintentionally.

The question that is always asked is "why do you want to take the knife out your pocked unopened any way ?"

I know what you mean though :):thumbup:

I do not feel the need to open my knife when I am getting ready for bed or changing clothes. There are also times when a quieter and more subtle opening technique is more appropriate...such as around non-knife people.

Bro---I only use the Wave when speed is absolutely necessary.

Exactly what I was thinking. I just really like this one because a) It is legal in my area and 2) It's an Emerson, which should translate into a tough knife. On the flip size, it is very odd to see a short blade in a full-size handle, but I'm quickly learning to like it! Gotta get me one!

I'm surprised more people don't seem to own one of these. Bump to ask for more opinions and pics if you got 'em.

I have had my Snubby for a week now, carrying and using it all seven days. I have to say that I like really like the knife but I expected better fit and finish from an Emerson knife. The action is a bit gritty too. I used to sell cutlery products and have usually been able to adjust the pivot and use lubrication to slick-up the action. This one is a bit stubborn. I do not regret purchasing it but I do wish it was finished better.

I do not feel the need to open my knife when I am getting ready for bed or changing clothes. There are also times when a quieter and more subtle opening technique is more appropriate...such as around non-knife people.

are you saying you cant pull it from your pocket with out waving it open???????

most folks have problems waving them till they get used to it, go figure i suppose lol.

At my job I wear khakis almost every day. The wave seems to catch on the pocket lining very easily. The big issue is that with such a short blade, if the wave does snag it is possible for the knife to partially open before clearing the top of my pocket. For obvious reasons that is not a good thing. With jeans on it is not so much a problem. With a longer blade it would not be a problem either. Intentionally opening the knife with the wave feature is very straight forward. I had no problems learning the technique.

I have had my Snubby for a week now, carrying and using it all seven days. I have to say that I like really like the knife but I expected better fit and finish from an Emerson knife. The action is a bit gritty too. I used to sell cutlery products and have usually been able to adjust the pivot and use lubrication to slick-up the action. This one is a bit stubborn. I do not regret purchasing it but I do wish it was finished better.

That stinks. I've got a half a mind to trade/sell my full-size Commander in order to get a legal-sized Snubby, but your post concerns me somewhat. I don't want to give a very, very nice knife for one that might have some issues. Hmmm. I'll have to think on this one some more.:confused:

I've owned a satin CQC-14 PE for about 6-7 months now. The f&f was at the same level as all of the other Emersons I've played with (I've played with about 6-9 different models), the action works perfectly and I don't have any trouble pulling it out of my pocket without "waving" it open. BTW, I've played with another CQC14 at a store and it was the same quality.

Not many people are going to agree with this, but because of my expectation from owning this CQC-14, I was unpleasantly surprised to not like the CQC-12. The cut out on the frame lock was noticeably thinner than the liner on my CQC-14 and the ergos was mediocre in comparison.

I too am surprised that not that many Emerson owners don't have this one. I love it. In fact, I'm down to 2 knives: my CQC-14 & my Hinderer XM-18.

The primary grind is a V grind, while the very edge is chisel ground. This is a great knife, and I don't think you'll regret owning one.