Cracked blade?

Ironbut

Gold Member
View attachment 812290 View attachment 812291 Anybody ever have this happen? My blade is cracked behind the thumb stud. It’s barely visible, but goes the whole way through & you can just feel it when you run a fingernail over it. I just noticed it yesterday & I shot an email to the mother ship, but they don’t have business hours on weekends.

View attachment 812290 View attachment 812291 Anybody ever have this happen? My blade is cracked behind the thumb stud. It’s barely visible, but goes the whole way through & you can just feel it when you run a fingernail over it. I just noticed it yesterday & I shot an email to the mother ship, but they don’t have business hours on weekends.

Never seen this before or even heard of it. How bizzare. One has to wonder how long it has been like that undetected?

I know! I was switching out my Inkozi for this one yesterday & I tried to wipe what I thought was a piece of lint or hair off the blade. Only it wasn't lint, and it was on both sides. Like the thumb stud was too big for the hole or something & cracked the blade. But why hasn't anyone else's cracked? Weird!

Heard of it, Yes
Seen it, No

It is entirely possible, as the thumbstuds are friction fit, so they are slightly oversized to the hole they need to go in.

I believe this is one of the main reasons behind not being able to get new thumbstuds in discontinued blades, such as regulars, as it risks the possibility of cracking the blade.

I've seen one or two threads about this happening. It seems very rare and CRK replaced the blade.

I had it happen once on a BG-42 serrated blade. It was old 97 if I remember right. CRK replaced it very fast. You will have no problem if you send it back I am sure.

OK, glad to see I'm not the only one this has happened to. I've had the knife for almost two years & I think the crack just appeared in the last two or three months, because that's when I got my Inkozi & put this one in the gun safe for a well deserved rest. If it was there before I'm pretty sure I would've noticed it when I wiped it down with oil before putting it away.

I'll just wait for instructions from Idaho now.

Reactions: HST
Not had it happen with CRK, but with other brands. If a blade is going to crack it is the likely spot to do it.
I have had 2(again other brands ) land up with cracked blades(at the stud) after shipping to the new owner. I certainly didn't notice either before selling and have to wonder if it could have to do with temp change on the flight-or course it could be I just need better glasses:) One was a sell back to the original owner and I had just had a couple weeks and never used or carried.

Seen it on a very heavily used Large 21. The owner wasn't even aware it was cracked until I pointed it out - he wasn't sure if it had come that way, formed later or how it happened. z

Definitely a very rare occurrence on a CRK of course. Usually I only see/hear about it when a new model and usually new steel to a company is first being run.

I filled out a Service form on CRK website & uploaded pics. Customer Service replied saying that it certainly appears to be a warranty issue, so I'll get it in the mail tomorrow. I'm glad I picked up the Inkozi a few months ago, so I'll have one to carry until the 25 gets back. I have "several" very nice knives that I can carry, but the CRKs just feel right.

Wow,
Thanks for showing me the problem..
Had to look close at my Inkoski.
All good...

I am sorry this happensd to you but it makes me feel better about EDCing a Mnandi.

No thumbstud.

That is an interference fit thumb stud. If the hole is to big it falls out, too small and you get a through fracture.

Happens infrequently, but more than you think. Shows up once a month or two on the Facebook page with similar issues. But they take care of it via warranty.

Heat treat is certainly a possible cause, but I would think it could also happen when putting in the thumb studs. If I remember correctly they won't replace thumb studs on the regulars-in case they are damaged they can't replace the blade.

Thanks for sharing.

I am looking at my 21L and the area is so minute that, one can bypass if there is a crack in that region. I can't really remember how many times my folder has dropped and hit hard surfaces but so far apart from snail trails, no big issues.

I'm wondering if a heat treat issue? or just a stress fracture.

Possible I think..but also may have something to do with a tenth of a thousandth or two more on the diameter of the thumbstud than needed or maybe even a bit of axial misalignment when being pressed in. Probably a bunch of factors..but as blanco112 blanco112 said, it comes up about 1x a month on FB and I am sure a few other places.
CRK will take care of business though :)

Possible I think..but also may have something to do with a tenth of a thousandth or two more on the diameter of the thumbstud than needed or maybe even a bit of axial misalignment when being pressed in. Probably a bunch of factors..but as blanco112 blanco112 said, it comes up about 1x a month on FB and I am sure a few other places.
CRK will take care of business though :)

I've only been on the CRK Facebook page for about a month, so this was the first I've ever heard of it happening. As I mentioned before, I'm fairly certain that the blade wasn't cracked when I put it away a couple months ago. I normally wipe the blade down & oil the pivot at least once a week on my carry knife, and I would've seen it. I can understand a stress crack from the thumb stud being pressed in, but I would think it would've shown up long before now. Damned if I know! Maybe the good folks in Boise can tell me after they get it. Until then, I'm carrying my Inkozi again & I'll keep checking it for cracks.

Back