1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRK Perforated Washer Question

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by linuxology, Jun 6, 2018.

1. linuxology

linuxology Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Has CRK always used perforated washers on their knives? Also, does anyone know if they sell extra pairs? If so, how much are they?

2. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    I believe on some of the very first ones they did not.

3. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    They were solid at one time, and there are a couple different styles of perforated that have been used.
    You have to send the knife in to get washers. I don't have the newest price sheet, but the price I have is $1.50. If yours has the solid washers, the pivot and maybe the stop sleeve will have to be changed $13.50
    +return shipping

4. RyanRaben

RyanRaben

Oct 10, 2014
    Originally they used Nylon washers on the Original models. Then they switched to solid phosphor bronze washers because they could control the consistency of the PB much more than from the supplier of the Nylon... then around 2010 they started added holes in the washers, then a little later they started doing the more rectangularish holes.

The holes are designed to hold in more grease.

5. Josh K

Josh K Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 29, 2008
    If you do ask them to swap the washers ask them to keep the original solid ones as well.

Lone_Wolfe and OLd_gUY like this.
  6. bvo85

bvo85 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2017
    CRK will not send you washers. You have to send your knife into them, and they'll install and fit the new washers for you. There's a small amount of fitting involved, that I imagine means taking an abrasive to the washers to remove a few microns of materials to get it to fit exactly into your knife. That is why CRK won't sell you the washers directly, because they want it to fit properly.

7. kniferbro

kniferbro

Jan 22, 2011
    Edit: wrong info!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    ljusmc and bvo85 like this.
  8. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    I’ve read that on BF before, but a few weeks ago I was told over the phone that they needed to be sent in too.

Blue Puma and kniferbro like this.
  9. kniferbro

kniferbro

Jan 22, 2011
    Oh wow really. Interesting, I thought I had heard that from Tim on the CRK Facebook page.. I must have confused it in my head.

10. Richard in LA

Richard in LA Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Nylon washer on a P sebenza From 93. Ridiculously smooth action, and no telling how many years worth of crud that is in the pic

Attached Files:

Lapedog and RyanRaben like this.
  11. RyanRaben

RyanRaben

Oct 10, 2014

Looks fake. I better take that off your hands. ROFL

12. blanco112

blanco112 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 1, 2016
    They have definitely sent out washers for the Inkosi without having to fit them so either the policy has only recently changed, is inconsistently applied, or the person was mixed their models up.

4mer_FMF and Blue Puma like this.
  13. 4mer_FMF

Jun 9, 2016
    I have some 21’s in the shop. When they call to arrange return shipping I’ll ask if they can throw in some small Inkosi or Umnumzaan washers.

blanco112 likes this.
  14. Josh K

Josh K Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 29, 2008
    They wouldn't send me a pivot for the Inkosi, which I doubt is a piece that's fitted. I'm curious if they send you washers.

15. Richard in LA

Richard in LA Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Most definitely fake! Guess I’ll toss em in the rubbish receptacle.....

RyanRaben likes this.
  16. Thin-Slice

Thin-Slice

Jul 4, 2016
    In addition it has less surface contact (blade with washer) which translates to less friction and smoother opening.

aji1 likes this.
  17. 4mer_FMF

Jun 9, 2016
    I just got off the phone; my 21’s are inbound. I asked if they would include a set of Umnumzaan and small Inkosi washers. They said yes. I asked once before and was told no. Perhaps I spoke with someone new on a previous call.

BTW, Kayla is so sweet and patient on the phone! She’s definitely great for the job. Just speaking with her makes me want to run out and buy another CRK!

Lone_Wolfe and aji1 like this.
  18. aji1

aji1 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2016
    She is also great and responsive by e-mail! I recently had some questions that were stupid enough that I was embarassed to post them here. She was quick to answer and in a way that didn't make me feel dumb.

She basically sold me an Impinda when they are more broadly available.

19. Thin-Slice

Thin-Slice

Jul 4, 2016

Zaan and inkosi they can ship no problem but for 21 because of bushing they measure them based on knife so they do not ship them by themselves as far as I was told.