CRK Wins AMERICAN MADE KNIFE OF THE YEAR Award at Blade 2018

Oh yes! Big congrats to that whole team. They've really done wonderful things the last few years!

Huge surprise!

To be honest though CRK is extremely deserving year after year. I wonder if there is another knife built as good.

The Impinda is a completely new pivot system. They have a patent pending on it.

Hrmm..don't think the pivot system is new. Don't remember there being a pivot bushing in the assembly I had seen. Basic same system as the Inkosis/Umnumzaan and 25's IIRC.
It's the backspring design that is new and is being patented.

I'm not a big CRK guy, but that Impinda looks really, really nice. And congratulations to the team there for a well deserved win.

I've heard Tony Bose puts pivot bushings inside his custom slip joints, so I know it's not unheard of to do such a thing. I know almost nothing about slipjoints, but it seems like it might be a bad idea to have a non-bushing model slipjoint built as a user servicable piece, in the way all CRK folders can be taken apart and reassembled so easily.

It's my assumption that the tightness of the pivot on a slipjoint would have to be set very perfectly each time, more so than a standard locking folder. To keep the slipjoint from disengaging during use if it was too loose of a pivot. But I know almost nothing about slip joints, and I imagine CRK's engineers put significant thought into this endeavor so maybe it's actually preferential to use a non-bushing system on a user servicable slip joint for some reason? Curious to learn more about it, for sure, from an engineering perspective at least!

Hrmm..don't think the pivot system is new. Don't remember there being a pivot bushing in the assembly I had seen. Basic same system as the Inkosis/Umnumzaan and 25's IIRC.
It's the backspring design that is new and is being patented.

Yeah, no pivot bushing. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

Nice! Congratulations CRK!

This slipjoint really interests me. I like the Spyderco UKPK quite a bit, and this seems like it may be around the same size..

I don’t care for the smaller traditional slippies, but sign me up for a larger one!

I wonder if the blade is always under tension like in a typical slip joint. This would make it difficult to assemble, even with screws instead of pins. If the blade is not partially tensioned by the backspring, then if the tang wears you get play in the blade.

It looks like CRK got the award for American Knife. Lion Steel won Manufacturing.

Ummmm I love crow LOL...

I guess I am spoiled by the sebenza... I like a knife that solidly locks open and that I can open and close effortlessly with one hand... I don't see why anyone would go to a slipjoint after having a sebenza

For some reason slip joints have become a recent thing, probably nostalgic for many buyers. Or just the simplicity and hey- they make great letter openers!

There is something about the symmetry in slip joints just like the Benchmade Axis lock. Even though the Axis system has springs and moving parts, it allows the frame and scales to have symmetry.

And speaking about symmetry, have you looked at or considered the alternative slip joint from Spartan Blades- the Nymph? Won a design award in 2014 and is quite ingenious in it's operation besides being a really small pocketable blade.

Back