CRKT Bear Claw - review

CRKT Bear Claw

The first prototype of this knife Russ Kommer originally made as a self-defense knife for his wife. The basic of this knife philosophy is:
  • Maximal effective cutting with minimal effort, recurved edge bites into cut material and cuts equally when plunging blade and when puling it out. It's not too new idea; this kind of blade was pretty popular on medieval Asian knives.
  • Finger hole provides firm, secure grip on this small handle. It's also not novelty; the ancient Cretans used knives with finger holes in already Bronze Age.
Russ Kommer's - CRKT Bear Claw joins these well-known options in one small, modern, easy to conceal knife which is supported with pretty advanced multi-carry sheath.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=222944&a=2181632&p=17304428&Sequence=0
Let's examine it thoroughly, I think this knife is worth the effort.
How it cuts? Just amazingly! I asked my wife to cut the packing box made of thick and heavy 3-layer wave cardboard. My wife has pretty week wrists and I didn't expect she could cut too much. But she cut box wall from one side to another (more than 30 inches!) with the single stroke and without any noticeable effort. I think this cut could be even much longer if we would have a larger box. Unfortunately my photo intended to illustrate it is not successful, sorry
frown.gif

How it grips? Really like hand natural extension, when I gripped this knife first time I felt like it would be my claw.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=222944&a=2181632&p=17304429&Sequence=0
It's fairly difficult to disarm someone who holds this knife.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=222944&a=2181632&p=17304430&Sequence=0
Hardware is very user friendly because all screws have the same torx header and the driver is included into knife's package, please see upper photo. This is pretty uncommon among even much more expensive knives.
How can you carry it? http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=222944&a=2181632&p=17304431&Sequence=0
Of course as a neck knife, weight and dimensions are pretty suitable. The knife is held in the sheath very securely and you can be completely sure you will not loss it. I noticed the Zytel handle scales are a bit too thick for concealed neck carry under the sweater or T-shirt - the handle slightly prints out. Of course you can remove scales and make this knife extremely flat but it will affect handling abilities. Think I'll try to grind factory scales to half of thickness or to make thinner custom scales.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=222944&a=2181632&p=17304432&Sequence=0
Attaching the clip for tip-up carry you can hang it on your jacket inside pocket edge. The surface under sheath's clip is a bit too slippery and can cause unwanted movement or even knife loss. I solved this problem completely sticking onto this surface a piece of Velcro strap.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=222944&a=2181632&p=17304433&Sequence=0
You can attach clip for tip-down carry and put the knife between the pants waistband and the belt for crossdraw carry. In this case Velcro strap will prevent the sheath from being drawn with the knife.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=222944&a=2181632&p=17304434&Sequence=0
Two slots on the sheath provide belt attachment but here I had a bad luck - my pants belt was a bit too thick and I couldn't push it into the slots. This belt is a bit thicker than common because must to hold the weight of handgun, I think it shouldn't be problems with normal belt thickness. However I'll try to warm up the sheath and widen these slots.
I think each user minimally straining his or her imagination could found much more carry options.
How it holds the edge? Of course AUS-6M stainless steel isn't a champion in this competition. Assuming that this knife is intended for tactical use only it wouldn't be a problem, the steel is fully adequate for this kind of use and knife price. However I would like a bit harder steel for daily and especially for emergency use.
How can you sharpen it? Yes, it can be pretty tricky if you have 8x2-inched bench stones only. But you can do it with ease using each rounded sharpening surface or sharpening steel. I tried my DMT Diafold Serrated Kife Sharpener and GATCO Tri-Seps sharpener - both worked well.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=222944&a=2181632&p=17304435&Sequence=0

Resuming. If the maximally efficient defense knife for week hand is required CRKT Bear Claw is a goal! Some time ago we discussed the subject "Knife for little sister", Bear Claw could be a very sensible choice. Of course assuming that knife is a solution in this matter...
Man also can't to go wrong with this knife if a powerful cutting tool in small package is required. It can serve as ultimate backup weapon and as an emergency tool as well. However the version with serrated blade and blunt tip seems to be better for emergency use.

------------------
Sergiusz Mitin
gunwriter
Lodz, Poland

[This message has been edited by Sergiusz Mitin (edited 03-04-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Sergiusz Mitin (edited 03-05-2000).]

Sergiusz,
As usual exellent review. You did a "hit" on my decision to perchase Outdoor Edge WEDGE I.
But price will be decisive. And WEDGE's steel is little bit better ...
Regards,
MIKLE

Hmmm, I have the Wedge I from Outdoor Edge and I couldn't consider it has better steel
confused.gif

Handling comfort and security are also incomparable - Bear Claw is clear winner in these competitions!

I'm with RH; that really is a nice pair of knives, uh, I mean, nice knife. Yeah, that's it, a nice knife.
biggrin.gif

Some of us have badgering Outdoor Edge about the ... um ... material the Wedge is made out of for a long time. They recently upgraded it from 420-J2 to 6M, which is slightly better ... 6M is cheese that's been aged longer than 420-J2, basically, but it's still age-hardened cheese. I am continuing to badger Outdoor Edge about it at every opportunity -- are you listening, David Bloch? The design deserves to be rendered in steel!
smile.gif

-Cougar :{)

Thanks!
My wife is impressed, she was completely sure that Americans like much bigger... knives
smile.gif

Sttement "WEDGE's steel is little bit better than BEAR-CLAW's" is my mistake ("mislooking").
But I have no experience with "claw" blades. IMO drop pointed WEDGE's blade is more "multi - purpose" ...
Regards,
MIKLE

Interesting. That knife (and I really am referring to the knife) is smaller than I had thought. Might be worth buying...

Sergiusz:
Once again a great review.
I have owned a Bear Claw for quite a while now. I carried it for a while but found the handle too clumsy to carry, although it is the handle design IMO that makes it so easy to handle and difficult to disarm. Now I keep it around the house.

Keep the reviews coming!
smile.gif

Jim

TTTT,
Yes I can to flex the blade (near the front spine checkering) slightly with a quite decent effort for my fingers. It is natural because the blade is relatively thin and narrow near the tip.
On the other hand - it is not armor piercing knife. I had no problems with edge strength thrusting into thick wave cardboard pack. What can be required more from this kind of knife?

Nice review. Interesting picture too.
biggrin.gif

My personal two cents worth. I got the serrated version with the dull tip. Their role serves as an emergency car knife, and I'd hate to poke myself while trying to free myself from the seat belt admist the burning wreckage.

For other roles, I'm sure the plain edge with sharp tip would be better served. Either way, it's only a splitting hair.

Back