CS Trail Master in O-1 Steel vs. Recon Tanto in SK-5

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by Gile, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Gile

Gile

Jun 6, 2018
    Hi everyone,

I am new here, so apologies upfront if this is a redundant topic.
    While looking for a combat knife I narrowed the selection to Trail Master in O-1 Steel vs. Recon Tanto in SK-5.

Could someone let me know the difference in the blade performance, from the point of durability/toughness (breaking point when flexed sideways)?

Thank you,
    Gile

2. Man with no name

Man with no name

Jun 24, 2015
    Nothing wrong with a Recon Tanto, but of the two knives mentioned I would choose the Trail Master. It is a substantial blade capable of so much more that it is no contest. The blade size and thickness is strong enough to do anything you would ever need a knife to do and beyond. There are some great Proof videos showing just what the Trail Master is capable of.

jux t and DocJD like this.
  3. mark70

mark70

Apr 8, 2017
    :)
    the trailmaster is basically a bowie, but it can be used in multiple contests the recon SK-5 is a blade for a specific use (combat) is much lighter and more agile than the trailmaster

the trailmaster uses O-1 steel because obviously it is more suitable than the SK-5 for this type of knife the secret of a good blade is the heat treatment and cold-steel performs it optimally on all its products

Nocturnal13 likes this.
  4. shortwinger

shortwinger Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Do you mean you "want" a combat knife, or are you in the military and plan to take a knife to combat? If you are in the military and looking for a knife to carry on your daily gear I would eliminate the Trailmaster. I have one and absolutely love it but for me atleast, its too long and too large for an everyday carry knife unless you have a specific job that would require that large of a blade.

I also have a Recon Scout and an SRK (both in SK5) and would take either over the Trailmaster for a knife to attach to my gear. For me, SRK would probably win out and get carried 8 out of ten times. It's smaller, lighter and virtually indestructible.

I don't have a Recon Tanto but just handled one a few weeks ago at Smokey Mountain Knife Works and it had a similar feel. The blade has a great reputation and it feels good in hand so I wouldn't hesitate to get one.

Of course if you are just looking for a cool combat style knife, all the models mentioned above would be great. The Trailmaster would probably steal the show, it really is an impressive and intimidating blade.

nephron likes this.
  5. mark70

mark70

Apr 8, 2017
    :)gurkha kukri O-1 and leatherneck -SF D2 are the arrival point to face any situation from elephant hunting to zombie combat;)

6. d762nato

d762nato Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I don't think your going to flex a TM sideways much unless its locked in a vise and you have a piece of pipe attached to the handle. I have seen a RT purposely beat on utube until it snapped in half, but it was quite brutal testing and abuse. The TM will be the tougher knife in the flex dept but it will be quite a bit heavier also. Those are really two different knives altogether the TM at 5/16's thick and the RT at 3/16's. For everyday carry I'd go with the RT myself, it just depends on your need for said knife.

7. nephron

nephron Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2017
    I think the name says it all, Trailmaster & Recon Tanto, Recon Tanto hands down.

Nocturnal13 likes this.
  8. Man with no name

Man with no name

Jun 24, 2015

9. Gile

Gile

Jun 6, 2018
    Thank you everyone. I got the answer I needed.

10. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Recon Tanto for a medium size fighting knife is easier to carry and conceal . But the Trail Master can cut down a tree AND fight .

11. d762nato

d762nato Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Not even a clue??? :D

nephron likes this.