CS Trailmaster

longbow

Gold Member
Just rec. a CS TM. It is the Carbon V version I believe. The reason I say I think it is the V version is that it has the black coating on the blade but the blade isn't marked Carbon V. I have had a Recon for years and it is a beater and to me seems heavier as comapred to this bowie. Surprised as how light in the hand it feels. Let me ask this, has anyone sharpened the top clip on one these? Don't know how much work it would take but the taper on the clip has a very defined edge as it is. I would like to see the handle a bit bigger as it seems kind of narrow to me but not bad really. Nice and grippy with the kraton too. Wasn't as sharp as I have seen other CS knives but a quick edge steeling and a bit of a strop on my gun belt and voila hair shaving sharp now. Will report more as I use it. keepem sharp

PS Cut in half a pair of socks tied to together that I used as a tug toy for my AmStaff. Free hand held.

Yeah, the handle on the trailmasters is really narrow, and I had some durability problems with mine. If I found a used one for cheap I'd definately make a new handle for it. Any extended use usually resulted from blisters and hotspots because I couldnt get a good purchase on such a narrow handle.

longbow said:
Just rec. a CS TM. It is the Carbon V version I believe. The reason I say I think it is the V version is that it has the black coating on the blade but the blade isn't marked Carbon V. I have had a Recon for years and it is a beater and to me seems heavier as comapred to this bowie.

I bought one of the trail masters when they first came out....I wish I kept that one!
It cost quite a bit more than the new one I have now, but I believe it was WAY heavier than the black coated one.
The edge was completely different, too.....there was no visable bevel on the original one - it looked like it was stamped out of a metal sheet. But it was much sharper than the new one I have - it popped all the hair off one forearm in one sweep!
I've been looking wistfully at the original TMs I see for sale now and then with stag handles.......... <sigh>

not sure about the trail master specificaly, but i did hone the back tip on my srk. it doesn't have a secondary edge but it came to an edge. all i did was get the black coating off the edge then hone it as it was. not razor but you could deliver a cut with it. pretty easy to do

My Cold Steel Trailmaster Bowie is almost six years old now and it's still going strong. I'll never part with it, especially now that you can only purchase the Carbon V blades with the black coating. :barf:

Thank God I bought mine when I did. :)

longbow said:
Just rec. a CS TM. It is the Carbon V version I believe. The reason I say I think it is the V version is that it has the black coating on the blade but the blade isn't marked Carbon V. I have had a Recon for years and it is a beater and to me seems heavier as comapred to this bowie. Surprised as how light in the hand it feels. Let me ask this, has anyone sharpened the top clip on one these? Don't know how much work it would take but the taper on the clip has a very defined edge as it is. I would like to see the handle a bit bigger as it seems kind of narrow to me but not bad really. Nice and grippy with the kraton too. Wasn't as sharp as I have seen other CS knives but a quick edge steeling and a bit of a strop on my gun belt and voila hair shaving sharp now. Will report more as I use it. keepem sharp

PS Cut in half a pair of socks tied to together that I used as a tug toy for my AmStaff. Free hand held.

Bet I know where you got that one... :)

Yes it is Carbon V.