1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 3 of the BladeForums 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways is live!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Busse Combat Custom Shop Flak Jack, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday January 19!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Congratulations winners! The Week 2 Giveaway has ended over on our YouTube Channel and here are the winners:
    BladeForums Logo Sticker: Impulse600
    BladeForums Velcro Patch: garythegoat
    BladeForums Logo Tshirt: crocgator106
    BladeForums paid subscription upgrade: billygoat78

Darrel Ralph Dominator 35: norcaldude Winners will be contacted by PM / email, so look for my message!

Custom Order Status Page

Discussion in 'AA Forge Knives' started by AA Forge, Dec 26, 2017.

1. mjbine

mjbine Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Adam,

I was wondering because on 10/22/2018 you said that you would post an update.

Thank you

2. AA Forge

AA Forge Custom Knife Maker Moderator

Apr 8, 2010
    I did and stated that I was going to start updating my site every other week.

3. mgray34

mgray34 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2014
    Here's a copy from the AA Forge website. It sounds like production is moving along smoothly.

10/22/18- As of right now we have 52100, 3v, cpm154 and aeb-l to finish all orders up to Dec. 2017. After thinking on it I decided to go ahead and finish out the list with 52100 even though I've been very reluctant after the past supply issues with them. It ends up being a win win because its what the orders were originally ordered in and its less expensive than O1 for me.

Because of a small trip I took with my family and the decision to stock up on 52100 to finish the list we are running a little behind our last quote, but we are starting to move quick. We currently have 7 orders on the desk that are about finished, as well as the last 50 getting ground out before the month is out. I still hope to have the whole list done around Jan. but I will keep everyone posted if things change.

If you have an order in aeb-l or a CPM steel expect it to ship in Nov.

Other than a few May orders that I somehow had mixed into the wrong month, and a couple of more complicated June and July orders, I'm mostly working on Aug. - Oct orders right now.

On average the estimated wait time is about 12-15 months, but there are a few exceptions; mostly because of their complexity.

4. mjbine

Jan 12, 2011
    Great thank you so much!!!

5. DirtyPhill

DirtyPhill

Nov 13, 2007
    Will there be an update this weekend?

6. AA Forge

Apr 8, 2010
    Sorry, I was down with the stomach flu all weekend, but an update will be coming this week.

7. DirtyPhill

DirtyPhill

Nov 13, 2007
    Update?

8. AA Forge

Apr 8, 2010
    Been trying to play catch-up all week after being sick and wasn't able to get to it.

The simple down-and-dirty update is that the switch back to 52100 caused us to not get much done over the last couple of weeks except for getting blades ground out and handle scales ready. That being said I have six on the bench that will hopefully be going out this week and soon we will be finishing the blades that have been ground out.

With having to work so out of order because of the supply issues it's hard for me to give exact quote times but I can say this, we are currently on schedule to have every order up to December 1st done by the end of February like I was hoping. I want to thank everybody for their patients with us while trying to balance the orders with in stock knives to keep everything moving. It's been a bit of a juggling act, but there is light at the end of the tunnel and I'm looking forward to having the order list done!!!

9. LostViking

LostViking Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2009
    I have to admit. As a potential new customer. This is a very disconcerting thread to read through.

I went to the website. Last update 10/22/18.

I hope it all ends well for everyone involved.
    LV,

JonathanCharles likes this.
  10. AA Forge

Apr 8, 2010

It’s just been rough having to do two things at once. Since I stopped taking orders because of the steel shortage I’ve been forced to balance orders with Available knives so I can pay my bills. Everyone on the list will get their knife, it’s just not as fast as I hoped I could have done it. This has been a long hard year and a half for me here. To have a few hundred men and women breathing down your neck every day wanting to know where there order is and having absolutely no care for things out of my control, or that I have a family to take care of is a little stressful and discouraging at times. Things have been slow, but every knife will be finished and sent to everyone that ordered one. If I ever takes custom orders again I will be doing things much different in the future, but it will be awhile before I take orders again because I need a break from the stress of customs for a bit.

11. AA Forge

Apr 8, 2010

I also plan to put a final update on my site very soon. I haven’t updated it because to get done as fast as possible I’m working way out of order right now, so I’m not really giving a month quote right now. That being said we are on course to have every order up to Dec 1st done by the first quarter of next year.

I’m simply asking you guys to be patient with me. You will get your knife, I’m just having a hard time with the time frame is all, but we are getting that squared away little by little. When I had the rug pulled out from under me with nj steel barons inability to keep anything in stock it screwed everything thing up I was trying to do. In the future we will never take orders again for a specialty steel!

DirtyPhill likes this.
  12. mjbine

Jan 12, 2011
    I guess I don't understand. I have an email from you stating you will not work out of order and that is why I am still waiting for an 01 knife of your design, not a custom design, with a choice of handle. That was in your control because 01 was never out of stock. Honestly this update ticks me off. If you are not able to judge your daily capacity how can anyone feel comfortable once you open your books again. Everything that has been paid in full is an interest free loan that your customers trust you with. Imagine if we charged a late fee for each month late. The original ETA for my handle choice was 3-4 months. Now on 17+. Your knives are great and that it why I went with ask for my handle choice on your design but I feel wronged by all of this and I know others have to.

13. DJC72

DJC72 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 1, 2014
    I am over a year in waiting on a pair of knives. I’ll wait patiently but I understand the anxiety of other costumers. From starter programs to taking full payment upfront, it always seems turn into a mess for all involved. Murphy’s Law usually prevails. Once I receive my blades, I’ll check out your available knife page on occasion but will never again pay for a product in advance.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  14. AA Forge

Apr 8, 2010
    I completely understand where you are coming from and I can promise you that I will never take full payment up front ever again.

15. AA Forge

Apr 8, 2010
    Mike, that email stated that I wasn’t working out of order at that time, but things have changed. I’m working on your knife now, but sourcing some if the turquoise gemstone accents you wanted that match is proving to be a little difficult. I’m working out of order now to get everything done as fast as possible, I have all steel types on hand, that is not the issue right now it’s just the workload. I know exactly how many blades I can do a week and how long it should take me to finish the entire list but as far as when I can get the exact materials for an exact knife for an individual quote it’s a little hard right now that’s all I was saying. Right now I’m more worried about getting the entire list done as opposed to working in exact order, I’m very sorry if this frustrates some of you guys, but it’s what I have to do right now to get it done.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  16. AA Forge

Apr 8, 2010
    Right now we are on schedule to have the entire list done by March.

As far as taking custom orders in the future, it will be quite a while before I do. After all of this I want a long break from customs.

17. DirtyPhill

DirtyPhill

Nov 13, 2007
    Will there be an update this weekend?

18. AA Forge

Apr 8, 2010
    I was hoping to, but my birthday was this weekend so I took the weekend off from work. I plan to have it up in a day or two.

19. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Ij was hoping to, but my birthday was this weekend so I took the weekend off from work. I plan to have it up in a day or two.[/QUOTE]

What day was your birthday? Mine was Sunday, Jan 6. I am celebrating the 13th anniversary of my 39th birthday, you can do the math? :p

20. LostViking

LostViking Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2009
    I don’t think math is his thing.

On Sunday he said he would have an update in a day or two.
    Monday=1
    Tuesday=2
    Wednesday=3
    Thursday=4
    Friday=5

Perhaps I am ill informed. But the last update I saw was October 22nd 2018.

I was rather excited about AA Forge. But I must admit that excitement has cooled.

I don’t have a dog in this fight. So I won’t continue to beat the dead horse. But I can see why folks are frustrated. Especially when a batch of new knives goes up for sale on the AA Forge website every week.

Updates promised every week have been left unattended since 10/22.

Steel shortages, complex models, hard to source handle materials. family vacations, stomach flu, birthdays.

Any one or two would probably be fine. But taken in aggregate, along with another promise to update by this Tuesday leaves one to wonder.

Why is it so hard to tell the truth? And actually do what one says?

Perhaps a full or partial refund is in order to show good FAITH.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 4:43 PM
    marchone likes this.