1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

custom Strider Gunner all titanium (photos)

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by trix2004, Jan 27, 2011.

1. trix2004

trix2004 Banned BANNED

Sep 28, 2008
    I don't see a lot of photos of custom Striders here , let me post few to make this day less boring .
    I am not sure how many of those made but I got just got one ,
    beautiful knife , only negative thing it opens and closes like a rusty door , I guess steel ball doesnt like titanium blade :cool: .
    if you have any custom striders please post them I would love to see them .
    Thank you .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  2. BP Green

BP Green

Oct 23, 2010
    Beautiful knife but I really like the sheath! :thumbup:

3. MoreToasties

MoreToasties

Jan 13, 2010
    I'm quite jealous.

4. Toyz

Toyz Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Wow - that is a nice piece.

The closest I have to a custom is a gunner grip SMF with digicam blade.

I really like some of the customs they do - especially the Wolfman one - but I'm not big on safe queens - I use everything I buy - and I am just not well off enough to carry a $2000 knife as my edc.

5. unit

unit

Nov 22, 2009
    How viable would a titanium blade be for EDC if one were so inclined?

What are the benefits/reasons to use Titanium in a blade?

***These are honest questions asked by an uninformed person regarding the matter...I am not trying to start "another strider thread".****

6. bada61265

bada61265

Oct 16, 2010
    theres no titanium in that blade. just the handle. the titanium isnt hard enough for edge holding like steel is.

7. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    Ti is also non ferrous,(non magnetic).

8. Apec

Apec

Oct 30, 2007
    A few knives use Ti blades, whether it's beta Ti or 6Al-4V.

As for EDC, Titanium doesn't corrode either.

9. strykersng

strykersng

Nov 8, 2006
    Yup, that's cool shit!

10. trix2004

trix2004 Banned BANNED

Sep 28, 2008
    Honestly I have no idea ,
    here is closer look
    blade is titanium with carbide edge
    [​IMG]

11. Jeremy Barnard

Jeremy Barnard

Jun 15, 2006
    Hmmm that looks fancy. Looks good though. How much do those run for?

12. rookie4real

rookie4real

Aug 15, 2007
    Actually there are several custom striders offered with Ti blade, this one might be as well since the OP mentioned that and the rough edge in the pictures.
    Ti is lighter than steel, not corrosive in extreme salt environment, non magnetic but it won't hold edge very well, easy to scratch and harder to sharpen and polish.
    To me it has no business in hard use knives.
    And to be technical Ti is an aluminum alloy and VERY corrosive but when it oxidizes it instantly develops a very fine film-patina that prevents further oxidation.
    When I was a kid we used to make fireworks bombs with filing down a piece of Ti and mixing its shavings with Potassium permanganate. If you strike the TI blade against a concrete block you will see a bunch of sparks.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  13. Kingofthellamas

Kingofthellamas

Nov 27, 2010
    I really like that design. I'm not real sure about ti blades though.

One of my favorite things about that knife is the Greg Everett sheath. Just gorgeous!

I have a couple custom striders. One starlingear and one MSC. I'll try to get some pics up sometime.

14. mdc5162

mdc5162 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Quite a piece of art. Too bad it opens and closes like crap. That would kill the whole thing for me.

15. tonijedi

tonijedi

Sep 21, 2009
    I love Ti for hard use knives! It doesn't get as sharp as steel, but doesn't chip and you can baton trough dozens of trunks of soft, hard, dry, green, carbonized, frozen, whatsoever wood that it will keep kicking ass! I say this from experience, I use a Mission for hard tasks... I prefer it over a FK A1. For fine works and food I have a Mora and plenty of folders...

16. neuron

neuron Moderator Moderator

Apr 18, 2010
    Beautiful pics of a beautiful knife! :thumbup:

17. unit

unit

Nov 22, 2009
    I have done this with golf clubs...sort of. I scuffed a rock with a Ti wedge and it was like the 4th of July. That was perhaps the coolest thing ever done with a golf club;)

I agree that Ti would seem to have no place in knife blades (honestly I am not too keen on Ti handles, but that also is a matter of opinion I suppose). Thanks for the replies and insight.

I have seen many such Striders with Ti blades (also CuBe blades). I have heard various uses for the CuBe, and heard about the downsides. I was just curious if Ti was done entirely for artistic value or for some unknown to me performance benefit. The edge treatment is an interesting process that apparently improves performance considerably...but will have to be re-applied if the blade is used extensively (I am told).

18. Mad_Maxx

Mad_Maxx

Nov 29, 2007
    only like the sheath

the knife is to much "cool" looking, not much as a knife
    may good to show only

Maxx

19. EricV

EricV

Nov 19, 2008
    Its a nice art knife, I like that it shows what can be done with Ti in knives. Shame about the action of it, it might be the steel galling against the Ti, the only other common option could be a ceramic detent, but that would wear right into the blade faster than the steel will.

Great sheath!

20. tonijedi

tonijedi

Sep 21, 2009
    And why you say so?
    I'm not trying to sell Ti knives and I'm not starting another Ti vs Steel war, I've been in too many already. I use Ti knives for diving and they're great... so it seems they do have a place on knife blades.

The knife shown on this thread is really nice!