Damascus Blade

Hi, I have a question about the Damascus Blade on a sebenza. The CRK web site FAQ said that you have to clean it after everytime it is handled. Does that mean after it opens mail? Or is it more like after it gets dirty (blood, dirt, etc.)

Also, should or can the Damascus blade be used as a regular knife? Or does the damascus design render it as a decorative piece only.
Thanks for any info you can give me.

------------------
-Humpty

"Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall. Humpty dumpty had a great fall.
Maybe Humpty should of had a knife."

Humpty,

I do not own a Damascus Sebenza, however, I have owned several Damascus knives over the years. You do not have to clean them after every use. I have never had one Damascus blade to rust, tarnish or anything like that. Damascus is beautiful and is a great using blade as it will cut after it feels dull to the touch, and it is very easy to sharpen.
A few years ago I sold a Damascus custom to a co-worker who wanted me to sharpen it, after at least two years, and when he brought it to work I asked him what he had used to prevent tarnish, etc; and to my amazement he said "nothing"....even though the knife had been in a drawer and never used this illustrates that it does not easily rust or tarnish.
I think that nickel in Damascus would not be as good as carbon steels. Damascus is excellent for a using blade IMHO!

I have a damascus blade large Sebenza. I wipe it down every time I handle/fondle the knife. I have yet to cut with it, but still looks great! I would not mind having a small Sebenza in a stainless damascus (Anne-hint hint!) for a user.

------------------
"Hi, I'm Fish, and I'm a Sebenzaholic..."
copfish@aol.com

Back