1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Damascus Cable knife update and mill sheet

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by Ghostman3, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Ghostman3

Ghostman3

Jan 12, 2016
    So I work for a drilling company and have 1.125" drill line readily available to me and requested a mill sheet on it. I know some people are interested in making cable Damascus and I am as well. I thought this info might come in handy to some. I picked up a few pieces so I'm going to try it in the near future. Looks like a fairly simple medium-high carbon steel??

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  2. Ghostman3

Ghostman3

Jan 12, 2016
    So I spent some time today forge welding the cable together and trying to get a knife out of it.

https://vimeo.com/182254243

I turned my forge up with both burners running as high as it will go which is 20 psi. The steel just won't get any hotter than this. I feel like it's barely got enough to forge weld. Although this is basically my first time so I could be wrong. I did get it to weld together some but welding cable isn't the easiest it doesn't seem.

[​IMG]

https://vimeo.com/182254375

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The edges were very hard to try to weld. Basically they wouldnt weld together and I cut the piece off into a rectangle.

https://vimeo.com/182254426

[​IMG]

This is how far I got.

3. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Did you twist it as you heated it? That is important in welding cable,

4. Ghostman3

Ghostman3

Jan 12, 2016
    Yes sir. Before hammering I twisted it as much as I could. I welded the ends together with a mug gun and I found that I had to flatten and spread the ends before I could hit the cable. I tried hitting the cable first and they would try to pop loose or out.

5. Ghostman3

Ghostman3

Jan 12, 2016
    Seems the core welded ok-ish together. Here pictures after I cut it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Greenberg Woods

Greenberg Woods Wood Fanatic and Rosewood Addict

Dec 27, 2013
    Interesting stuff. I've been looking for good cable for a while.

7. Ghostman3

Ghostman3

Jan 12, 2016
    I can ship you a piece if you want?

8. Greenberg Woods

Greenberg Woods Wood Fanatic and Rosewood Addict

Dec 27, 2013
    Shoot me an email.

9. Ghostman3

Ghostman3

Jan 12, 2016
    So here is the knife from this. I know all the welds didn't set but most did and I still think it will be functional so I'm going to finish it. This was and still is my most successful fully forged blade; not that I've forged a ton lol. I etched in vinegar and it's kind of hard to see but you can see the pattern. Going to do a small brass guard and some type of wood handle.

[​IMG]

https://vimeo.com/198063013

10. Ghostman3

Ghostman3

Jan 12, 2016
    Working on the guard

[​IMG]