1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey folks! We're having a Becker Giveaway over in the Giveaway forum, check it out and have a chance to win a free Becker 4 Machax, Becker 5 Magnum Camp, or Becker 15 Short Trailing Point!

Damascus EDC, the start of a journey: w. OCTOBER 2017 UPDATE.

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by kidcongo, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Glock Guy

Glock Guy Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 28, 2012
    Awesome thread @kidcongo!

I had a Large Plain 21 w/Ladder Damascus a while back that I sent in and switched the hardware and thumb stud switched over to silver. When it came back, I just didn't like it as much, as it looked almost *too* silver. I ended up selling that one and have been patiently waiting to grab another.

Today was my lucky day as I scored a nice one just like the one I had and it should be here Monday. I plan to make that a user and look forward to the wear and weathering that yours has shown.

Thanks again for this post, and I look forward to the updated pics of your journey with it!

kidcongo and blanco112 like this.
  2. kidcongo

kidcongo Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 12, 2013
    @Glock Guy I look forward to seeing some pics. Please add to the thread. I stand corrected, the weathered slabs, a weathered Damascus blade, and weathered blue thumbstuds, would be the ultimate “distressed” Sebenza.

3. kidcongo

Jan 12, 2013
    @Glock Guy I look forward to seeing some pics. Please add to the thread. I stand corrected, the weathered slabs, a weathered Damascus blade, and weathered blue thumbstuds, would be the ultimate “distressed” Sebenza. You win!

4. Glock Guy

Jul 28, 2012
    @kidcongo

I think the weathered look with the silver on yours looks WAY better than the silver hardware against the freshly blasted scales mine had.

Here's a picture of the one I sold, freshly back from the spa:
    seb1.JPG

And what I hope the one I have coming will look like some day...
    seb3.jpg

lemmuhj and kidcongo like this.
  5. Glock Guy

Jul 28, 2012
    Quick (and crappy) pic of mine that was just delivered today. Cleaned, tuned and sharpened. Now to get some character marks!

1.jpg

lex2006, Mike Large and kidcongo like this.
  6. Mike Large

Mike Large Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Well my friend you've done it. Pushed me over the edge. My large bog oak raindrop is in the mail now from KSF. I have an engraved plain jane so that covers my plain need for now. But had to pull the trigger finally on the damascus. Thanks for the thread brother. I'll post a pic soon

kidcongo likes this.
  7. NCHunter78

NCHunter78 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2016
    love this thread...thanks for posting

kidcongo likes this.
  8. Mike Large

Jun 24, 2017
    1508061022805423391499.jpg 15080611847601416095979.jpg Freedropper right out of the box. Looking forward to putting a bit of wear on this one

kidcongo likes this.
  9. kidcongo

Jan 12, 2013
    That’s going to be a beautiful user. Very nice. I’ve always really liked the dark wood 21s that have just a hint of grain. FYI, I’ve carried a large 21 Tamboti a lot as well, and the polished slab knives with wood inlays are just as durable as any other CRK. The polished slabs themselves get an interesting patina after use that adds to their character (you likely already know all this....but hey).

Mike Large likes this.
  10. Mike Large

Jun 24, 2017
    This is my first damascus. The first thing I noticed is it seems quieter than my others. The snap open and shut is dulled down a bit. In no way bad, just different than that sharp CLACK of my others. Also with this one I'm not feeling a 'honeymoon' period at all haha, simply ready to put it to hard use. Maybe because its my fifth, maybe the darker blade. Who knows.To most what im saying would make no sense at all im sure but im feeling yall are as messed up as I am about knives here

kidcongo likes this.
  11. kidcongo

Jan 12, 2013
    ^^ I hear you loud and clear.

You are right! The Damascus 21s are quieter! Mine is the same. Must be less resonance in the blade itself, because all else is equal.

mlamb likes this.
  12. mlamb

mlamb Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 12, 2006
    Higher material density do to folding and compression.