1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damascus EDC, the start of a journey: w. OCTOBER 2017 UPDATE.

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by kidcongo, Aug 23, 2017.

1. mlamb

mlamb Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 12, 2006
    Cody i’m glad you resolved your issue. I’m beginning to wonder, if CR should re-think the thumb stud due to the steel fractures? It doesn’t seem to be that common, but exists.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    kidcongo likes this.
  2. bluemetalchurch

bluemetalchurch Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2014
    Cody,

When a hairline crack like that happens is the user responsible for the blade replacement or does the warranty/company cover it?

kidcongo and Mike Large like this.
  3. kidcongo

kidcongo

Jan 12, 2013
    It will be covered under warranty. They even sent me a prepaid UPS label to ship it back. It’s just one of those things.

If I could figure out where I want to host future photos I’d post some pics (open to suggestions). The crack is basically across the top of the blade between the double thumbstuds. Almost unnoticeable, but there nonetheless. Funnily enough I wasn’t cheering that I would get a new blade. I really liked the blade I had, and the character it had developed. Still....it is what it is.

mlamb likes this.
  4. kidcongo

kidcongo

Jan 12, 2013
    I like the thumbstud system they use with the interference fit, as it is so clean and solid and “forever”. I guess the challenge is if they press it in and the hole is just a tiny bit too small, or the thumbstud slightly oversized, something will eventually give. I imagine that’s stating the obvious, but there is a few knives out there that have had the same problem as mine, but not so many that I think it’s an issue that requires a design change.

I haven’t counted them in a while, but I have at least 4 or 5 Sebenzas that most would consider “users”, maybe even “hard users”, that get cut no slack at all. This is the first warranty issue I’ve had with a Sebenza, so I am not, under any circumstances, calling into question the quality of CRK or the Sebenza design. These knives put up with just about anything you can throw at then.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Curl of the Burl and mlamb like this.
  5. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    I’ve resorted to imgur, it’s easy to create an account and easy to use.

kidcongo likes this.
  6. Mike Large

Mike Large Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 24, 2017
    The Chris Reeve fan group on Facebook is great! As well as the bst

ljusmc and kidcongo like this.
  7. TYPE-R

TYPE-R Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2017
    Hey Cody,
    I EDC a Basketweave Damascus and if you'd like I can post pictures of the blade every couple of weeks. It doesn't see a lot hard use. Mainly cutting packing tape, padded and plastic envelopes and the occasional plastic strap, but I do use it everyday.

kidcongo and Glock Guy like this.
  8. Glock Guy

Glock Guy Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 28, 2012
    I can't speak for Cody, but I would love to see how Basketweave looks after time!

TYPE-R likes this.
  9. kidcongo

kidcongo

Jan 12, 2013
    For sure. This thread is open to a community effort. Feel free to add!

TYPE-R likes this.
  10. TYPE-R

Apr 27, 2017
    Great! I'm not the best photographer so bear with me.

My Small 21 Bog Oak with Basketweave
    [​IMG]

Blade on the 1st day, June 2, 2018 (only took picture of the front)
    [​IMG]

June 26, 2018
    It's picked up some light scratches on the both sides of the tip.

Front

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Back
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    kidcongo likes this.
  11. kniferbro

kniferbro

Jan 22, 2011
    I use imgur as well. Set up an account specifically for bladeforums and its been super easy.

kidcongo likes this.
  12. ljusmc

ljusmc

Mar 14, 2013
    You guys are killing me! I had a Large 21 with DT Raindrop Damascus a few years ago and sold it in a fit of insanity. Now I feel like I need another one.

[​IMG]

TYPE-R likes this.
  13. WValtakis

WValtakis Gold Member Gold Member

May 29, 2004

~Chip

TYPE-R likes this.
  14. MIKE969

MIKE969

Feb 2, 2014
    Question for you, did the crack appear at a seam of the two alloys of the Damascus, or did it form in the middle of one of one of the alloys? In other words, was the failure caused by a separation of the alloys of the steel?

15. kidcongo

kidcongo

Jan 12, 2013
    No the crack formed directly between the thumstuds as if the blade was not Damascus at all. The “layers” in the steel were not part of the cracking process and nothing delaminated at all. In fact the crack is perfectly straight between the studs even though the pattern is wavy on the spine.

I believe it’s just the classic crack that some CRKs have been known to suffer between the studs. One day it was suddenly there.

16. TYPE-R

Apr 27, 2017
    It's been a few weeks so thought I'd update the thread. Will probably do a monthly update going forward.
    The knife was carried everyday but didn't get a lot of action. It mainly cut tape because we didn't get many deliveries due to the holiday.
    Not much difference in the blade from the last update.
    On a side note, the action has smoothed quite a bit the past 2 weeks and has become a joy to open.

7/10/18

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]