Damascus weight?

Considering purchasing a plain Jane large sabenza with raindrop Damascus but before I do i wanted to make sure the damascus doesn't bring an extra ounce or so to the total weight. I love my large sabenza and edc it everyday but 4.7 is about all I can handle before the weight just being a burdon.. thanks.

It is going to be the same or very, very close. Just out of curiosity why would you think the weight would change?
It is a Sebenza by the way:)

It is going to be the same or very, very close. Just out of curiosity why would you think the weight would change?
It is a Sebenza by the way:)
Well just watching the whole process of making Damascus... just wasn't sure is certain steels were heavier or not is all. Even one extra ounce can go a long long way when nearing the 5oz mark

A large 21 4.7oz
Large Inkosi 4.96 oz
Umnumzaan 5.0 oz

Specs are from CRK website which I am sure you have already seen.

I weighed a large classic UGwith S30V and a large 21 UG with raindrop damascus. While both are UG, neither has deep cutouts that would result in significant weight loss.

The large classic was in the 4.7 oz range
The large 21 damascus was in the 4.6 oz range.

It was nowhere near the 5.0 of the umnumzaan and was even a tad less.

I have used both extensively and never noticed any difference. Though I doubt I would at .10oz of a difference. You seem like you have a specific reason why such a small weight might effect your usage of it. As for damascus quality, I have always likedned DT Damascus to that of S30V that I regard as the best CRK blade steel. Damascus just adds flair and bling to an already perfect knife.

Hope this helps.

A large 21 4.7oz
Large Inkosi 4.96 oz
Umnumzaan 5.0 oz

Specs are from CRK website which I am sure you have already seen.

I weighed a large classic UGwith S30V and a large 21 UG with raindrop damascus. While both are UG, neither has deep cutouts that would result in significant weight loss.

The large classic was in the 4.7 oz range
The large 21 damascus was in the 4.6 oz range.

It was nowhere near the 5.0 of the umnumzaan and was even a tad less.

I have used both extensively and never noticed any difference. Though I doubt I would at .10oz of a difference. You seem like you have a specific reason why such a small weight might effect your usage of it. As for damascus quality, I have always likedned DT Damascus to that of S30V that I regard as the best CRK blade steel. Damascus just adds flair and bling to an already perfect knife.

Hope this helps.
It helps alot thanks. I have carried two small sabenzas, one plain one bocote, for about a year now, and I now have two large 21's and the weight has really taken alot of getting used to for me. It's nothing even near a problem but if I were to tote around something that was at or around the 6oz range I could see that being something that would really bug me ya know

All steels are mostly iron and have very similar densities. The same blade in different steels will not vary significantly (a few percent at best) in weight. Add that the weight of the blade itself is only a fraction of the total knife weight, and I doubt anyone could tell the difference between damascus and other steels with their eyes closed.

Last edited:
Back