1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Damascus with pure nickel

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by David W Babcock, Jul 30, 2018.

1. David W Babcock

David W Babcock Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Good evening,

I’m thinking of making a small billet of 1084 and pure nickel random Damascus. I’d like to do a san mai construction and use the Damascus (concerned about pure nickel on cutting edge) construction with the Damascus on the outside and a 1095 or maybe W2 core. Any thoughts? Are any of these metal combinations I’ve considered have any “be careful of factors”? Is the nickel a concern if it hits the cutting edge? Do I even need to consider a three piece construction?

Thanks in advance

2. Vicarious Reality

Vicarious Reality

Apr 9, 2008
    My nickel stainless from chad works just fine for a shaving sharp razor, because that is what it is made of