Dates a little off on my Seb

Well I bought this large carbon fiber Sebenza NIB about 2 years ago from Knife Art. I have used it and cleaned it a few times. I guess I never really paid attention to the date stamp on the knife, B 08, and compared it to the birth card, Oct. 24 2012. Is it odd for the two dates to be so far apart? I think its a little odd, also I think it makes it kinda unique. Does anyone else have a knife that the dates are that far apart? I hope people that have had lots of CRKs pass through their hands chime in with your opinions.

2014-09-14 21.42.44.jpg

IIRC, the dates on the slabs give a general timeframe as they are all made in batches. Each part isn't necessarily made alone at the time of the date stamp. If it was, it would be prohibitively expensive to continue to setup and tear down the CNC's.

IIRC, the dates on the slabs give a general timeframe as they are all made in batches. Each part isn't necessarily made alone at the time of the date stamp. If it was, it would be prohibitively expensive to continue to setup and tear down the CNC's.

Thanks for the reply. I remember reading what you said somewhere before, rings a bell. But they machine that many batches to last them years at a time? Maybe it's not that odd eh.

That is extremely strange. Yes they make them in batches, but I doubt they last more than a couple quarters. Yours dates back to the 1st year of the 21. Maybe they found it in the corner somewhere:)

Is the handle stamped with Idaho Made? AFAIK, CF models all come stamped...strange that it is years back and not just a few quarters. Not sure when the stamp came out (I think after 08 though), but if it isn't stamped, it might be a swapped lock side... on that note, what is the lock up like?

Last edited:
Is the handle stamped with Idaho Made? AFAIK, CF models all come stamped...strange that is is years back and not just a few quarters. Not sure when the stamp came out (I think after 08 though), but it isn't stamped, it might be a swapped lock side... on that note, what is the lock up like?

Good point-O8 certainly would not have the stamp(believe 2010 is when they started using it)

Last edited:
The code on the knife handle slabs is the date that part was machined, the date on your birthday card is the date those parts were assembled into a knife. Parts can easily sit unused in a shop for years before they are assembled. :)

Yes,..It is a bit longer in the tooth than normal,..They certainly would not make enough for years, but may utilize stock that they have on hand or "found" in a corner. Very possible that it may have been a "straggler" that found it's way in the finished parts bin by an operator that had one laying around and was cleaning up....If you happen to be the recipient, then that is kind of cool!

There are things that I don't really think too much about. Parts are just "parts" as long as they have the correct shape. The "stamping**" would only be a minor cosmetic difference. It's just another "part" as long as it passed QC.

(**very incorrect term. Metal is removed via engraving and not displaced using blunt force- Just a pet peeve of mine and not quite sure why :) )

and of course we have what we like to call a double post...It's fun for all! Double the pleasure? Yeaaaaah...I guess

Yes,..It is a bit longer in the tooth than normal,..They certainly would not make enough for years, but may utilize stock that they have on hand or "found" in a corner. Very possible that it may have been a "straggler" that found it's way in the finished parts bin by an operator that had one laying around and was cleaning up....If you happen to be the recipient, then that is kind of cool!

There are things that I don't really think too much about. Parts are just "parts" as long as they have the correct shape. The "stamping**" would only be a minor cosmetic difference. It's just another "part" as long as it passed QC.

(**very incorrect term. Metal is removed via engraving and not displaced using blunt force- Just a pet peeve of mine and not quite sure why :) )

Agreed - If the lock up is good, I wouldn't worry too much about it... If the lock up is bad and especially if the handle is not engraved with 'Idaho Made', I would be a little concerned as the handle might have come off an older knife...

The dates being different on the slabs is common. I don't think its the norm, but have seen them apart many times. The dates on the slabs are when they were made. They are made at different times, so its not that uncommon to see different ones as they just grab them and start assembling. The date on the BD card is when the knife itself was completed. The scales on my edc classic large 21 for example show A02 and B01 respectively.

Is the handle stamped with Idaho Made? AFAIK, CF models all come stamped...strange that it is years back and not just a few quarters. Not sure when the stamp came out (I think after 08 though), but if it isn't stamped, it might be a swapped lock side... on that note, what is the lock up like?

It is stamped with Idaho Made on the back of the lock side. I would put the lockup about 80-90%

Thanks for all the replies, but I think I figured it out. What I have here is a "PP" pre-production run of the CF large Sebenza made in 2008 that someone forgot about until 2012. Also they engraved the lock side for testing purposes...or something like that. :rolleyes: In all seriousness it is kinda strange and makes me like it even more.

Last edited:
Could you please post a pic of the front side of the CF scale.
I'd love to see a used one.
TIA
red mag

That scale was just waiting around for you! It was sitting in a corner just waiting for your knife to be built. It is your special knife. Glad you two finally got together. :)

That scale was just waiting around for you! It was sitting in a corner just waiting for your knife to be built. It is your special knife. Glad you two finally got together. :)

Haha, thanks! It's nice to think of it that way. I will never sell this knife.

I also called CRK today just for fun. I have never called them yet. Angela(I think) answered and was very pleasant to talk to. She also confirmed what was already stated. The slab just sat around for some reason until it finally got used. She did say that it was pretty odd but not un-normal. For some reason I can not get a pic of the front scale side to upload for a pic, sorry red mag. But the pics I took of the front side scale don't show many marks, I'll keep trying though.

Thanks for trying and the written answer.
I hope i didn't cause too much trouble.
red mag

Back