deepening the trackers quarter round

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by xXSteevoXx, Sep 2, 2018.

1. xXSteevoXx

xXSteevoXx

Sep 2, 2018
    Hey what's up.
    Now I know there's a thousand and one tracker threads but just hear me out.
    I've been slowly modding mines out and I'm at the point where I'm going to take the draw up higher and deepen the quarter round to resemble a WSK, with a more aggressive hook instead of almost a 90 bevel where the draw meets the chopper.
    Whats the best set of tools in you opinion to do this.
    I saw a clip of a guy using a dremel but that seems a little to washy for my liking. I probably could make a belt grinder work but again, not too certain about that.
    Advice is much appreciated.

2. hexenjager

hexenjager Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Hi Steevo. Welcome to the forum.

You'd probably have more luck with this type of question in the maintenance, tinkering and embellishment subforum. That's the sub where modding is most discussed.

Good luck with your project. Please post pics of it sometime so we can see it. :thumbsup:

Dadpool and xXSteevoXx like this.
  3. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    I'm all for modding.
    Not exactly sure what all you mean but if this is a good sized knife and sounds like you need to get into a recessed area to take off some significant amount of metal you might consider using an angle grinder. A hand held grinder with a tough fiber reinforced abrasive disk.
    Carefull though these things eat metal.
    Clamp the knife down solid to a stable work bench so you can have both hands on the grinder or alternatively I have clamped the grinder in a vise and held the work in my hands.

4. Bill Siegle

Bill Siegle KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 3, 2000
    The method I use on the few I have made is to rough em in on a small wheel on my grinder them complete the forming with a half round file.

xXSteevoXx likes this.
  5. xXSteevoXx

xXSteevoXx

Sep 2, 2018
    Like a bench grinder? I suppose I could use an angle grinder with an abrasive disk.

6. xXSteevoXx

xXSteevoXx

Sep 2, 2018
    Yeah ill get some pictures up. I was trying to make the quarter round more gut hooky like on the wsk, but pictures will do more justice

hexenjager likes this.
  7. xXSteevoXx

xXSteevoXx

Sep 2, 2018

8. xXSteevoXx

xXSteevoXx

Sep 2, 2018
    [​IMG]
    Mocked
    [​IMG]
    Original
    [​IMG]
    RPO

hexenjager likes this.
  9. Bill Siegle

Bill Siegle KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 3, 2000
    I use a 3/4inch wheel on a Bader belt grinder. You could do some roughing in with w Dremel tool, a drill with a drum sander attached, or do all your shaping with a nice half round file. All depends on your experience level. The file would of course be the slowest method but probably the most sure method. Remember all the power tool stuff works faster and can create unwanted marks and gouges very fast too. With a new condition double cut half round file about 10in long, I’d think you could knock out this project in a couple hours.