Desert ironwood grips question...

Greetings all, I posted this question over at the 1911 forum earlier and didn't get a satisfactory answer to one particular question. I am well aware of desert ironwood's tendency to darken with hand oils/age/UV? as I have a Dozier that has darkened considerably. Since I have recently purchased a Colt 1911, I have been looking at wood grips and have seen some drop-dead gorgeous desert ironwood grips. However, they are quite pricey and I would be more than pissed if they too darkened as much as my Dozier. One respondant mentioned something about the grips being coated with a clear laquer (sp?) of some sort.
Does anyone here have any direct experience with desert ironwood gun grips? Have they stood the test of time and usage? Does clear coating them retard/prevent the darkening?
Thanks in advance for your answers,
Mongo

You might ask in the knife makers section.Though they'll probably tell you don't use a finish just live with the darkening.

Mongo
Everything darkens except black. Its allready dark.
I wish that I had a good answer for this. A finish will wear or peel, making the knife look worse.
Bob D.

Just another thought... Mr. Dozier, I hope you don't take it that I am upset that my knife handles darkened. I think of it as kinda a badge of honor... it sees much use.

Hakan (he's a member of thehighroad.org , check the autoloader forum) makes some really nice stuff, for good prices. I'd get in touch with him if I were you. He should be able to fix you up with some quality stocks, and give you good advice on how they're finished, and how to preserve them.