Detent ball question

I got my Lg. regular back from CRK. They replaced the lock side with a ceramic detent ball. The question is, is the detent ball harder than the BG-42 steel. The blade has pitting and it is a little gritty opening. I am thinking of putting some diamond paste on the detent ball to see it that will smooth it our. I do not want to flatten the detent ball doing this so hoping the detent ball is hard that the blade. Thanks in advance for your help.

Bill

Try putting the CRK grease on the track path, I've read the folks have done this and has helped the gritty feel. Don't know how long it will last.

I have had two sebenzas from the factory with that very same gritty feel. They open smooth 10 or 15 times but then gets gritty? Is this what you are experiencing? If so, it just needs to broken in a bit more and a dab of CRK grease on the ball and track will do just fine. Worked for both of mine, and both were super gritty. Hope that helps

The gritty is from the pitting. I am trying to fix that. Just gathering ideas on how I may do that. It will be a user so not a big issue just love tinkering. Thanks for your help.

The ceramic detend is extremelly hard way more that any steel available. I also have a large regular from 96/97' or so and it has a metal detend ball as far as i can tell. Was wondering if they actually were able to change those.

Question: when i do send it should i ask for the ceramic detend ball or keep the steel one?

They did replace the detent ball. I am not sure if it is steel or ceramic. I did not think to ask them to use a ceramic ball as I just assumed that they had switched to ceramic a while ago. I guess I could use a magnet to see if it is steel. If I were you I would ask for ceramic. I will check mine as soon as I can and let you know.

If the ball looks like steel (chromed shinny) then its steel. But if its BLACK its ceramic

The detent balls are steel. They also can be replaced. I had an Original Sebenza that had a flattened detent ball from use over the years causing a weak detent. Sent the knife to the spa and it came back as good as New with a new detent ball. They did such an amazing job, I thought I got a different knife back.

The detent balls are steel. They also can be replaced. I had an Original Sebenza that had a flattened detent ball from use over the years causing a weak detent. Sent the knife to the spa and it came back as good as New with a new detent ball. They did such an amazing job, I thought I got a different knife back.

Good to know. Was wondering how they take it out since no hole poking tru from opposite side and no other access as far as i can tell. Just waiting to collect one more crk before i send them in

Don't put diamond paste on the detent. Just keep it lubed so no more pitting occurs. The detent should wear in the detent track with time. If the pitting is very bad then I'm not sure the best solution. You may need to solve that another way.

Thank for the input I am still thinking of ways.
can you dissemble it and take a photo of the area with pitting?

my issue with sanding the area down with sand paper and polishing would change tolerances. if it were just done on the detent track area it might not be so bad but may result in unwanted action (i say this because i dont know).

Back