Do you use all your knives?

After been in the knife community for some years now, I came to realize that I really hate to let my knives be safe queens, and find them a lot more attractive when they have scratches and signs of use and wear.
I do not own a ton of knives, but more than I need. Everything from an overbuilt ScrapYard, to corrosion proof Spydercos and to a traditional Leuku and they all get used, regardless of how rare some of them might be.
I obviously select knives after what choires I'm about to do. I won't take my RAT-3 when I'm going fishing in the harsh, norwegian ocean for example.
I also find it very educating when I use them and gain experience about the different steels.
So how do you people view your knives? Do you use a lot of them or do you prefer them in
100% mint condition?

Yep everyone one of them. I think they look better with age. I can't justify buying it if I'm just going to stare at it.

I try to use all of my knives. All of them, save for a couple of brand new ones, have BEEN used, but lately I've noticed that I just haven't been using some of them as much as I ought to.

It's about time I really looked through the knives that I have and suss out which ones I actually use on a regular basis and the ones that spend all their time in a drawer - the ones that I use, I'll keep, and the rest, I'll get rid of.

I use all of my knives except one that is NIB. I have a goto knife for fishing and another for EDC and even one for formal wear. I've only purchased three this last month, but they are all xmas gifts. Hopefully, they will enjoy and use it too.

All but one I've put away for my son, and one I only just got, which will be used eventually

Some are for using some just collecting. I collect Lone Wolf for instance, they are discontinued and I would not want to mess them up at all. I have others that I enjoy owning and I know I'll never want to use.

I try to keep a balance, some designated users and some set aside to appreciate in unused condition.
Right now I'm running 1% users and 99% set aside. :)

Nope. Some of the pieces I have are specifically to keep long term...

That's a small percentage of the collection though. I use everything that I buy as a user (as part of buying it is to see how that particular knife holds up)..

I have some that I use carefully, but I do use them all. When I get a new knife, it gets placed into my EDC rotation. Sometimes, a knife just can't break in to the "group" and then they get sold off. If I don't use it, out it goes! There was a similar thread a week or so ago about LE knifes and if you use them or not.

I don't buy stuff I don't plan to use and the ones that don't get used get given away. I have three exceptions: one is just a cheap disply knife my dad gave me, the other is an engraved kershaw chive that was a gift from the church I used to attend up in Oregon. It was intended for me to use and carry but the thing is so dang small I can't get my mits on it but at the same time I don't want to get rid of it. (and who would want one with someone else's personalized inscription on it?) The last one that doesn't get (much) use is my Ka-Bar original warhog that I bought almost 15 years ago. I've used it a little but when I found out they were discontinued I got paranoid and overprotective of it even though there's not much collector value left. I just think it's so cool and I know it'll be hard to replace.

I have a few knives I haven't gotten around to using, some are still in the original box, but I bought everything with the intention of using it.

I use most of them, but have a few NIB that are collectible.

I rotate through every knife in my collection. I'll NEVER own a 'Safe Queen'. Some favorites sneek to the front of the line, but they all eventually get carried.

I take that back. I DO have one knife that I don't carry. It a Spyderco Bob Terzuola slipjoint. It's in quarantine. That knife tries to bite me every time I touch it!

I use every knife that I own. I don't see the point in spending money on something that you're not going to use.

Nope, not even close.
I couldn't even use them all, there are simply too many.

And the dozen or so that I do use work great,
so why should I turn the rest of my collection
into a bunch of rarely used users?

I don't use any of my peanuts but they were acquired just for their scale colors. My Kershaws are a different matter. They all get used.

Back