Do your morals have any impact on your knife purchases?

shinyedges

Unfaltering Love & Undeviating Will
Gold Member
Platinum Member
Does it matter if the company you purchase your knife from has shady practices? Or is owned by an individual who has below average integrity? We all know that no one is perfect, were all human. But a continued display of a lack of morals isn't a mistake, does it bother you to support such a person with your money?

This isn't about any company or person, just curious how fellow forum members feel about it.

Mods i wasn't sure where to put this so move if necessary.

Won't buy from a person like that for 1 reason above all else,
If I have a problem with my order, they are unlikely to be helpful. Don't need to go any further.

I dislike buying from companies like Emerson and Cold Steel who market their products as weapons. Makes knife owners look bad in my opinion

Morals alone, no. On a more practical level, I need to be able to trust a knifemaker.

If I don't like a knifemaker's personality, that isn't enough to stop me from buying their products. However, those that I consider unlikable generally have a history of being rude to customers, lying about their products, or just generally poor customer service. That most definitely will stop me from buying their knives. If a maker gives me any reason to believe that they can't be trusted to stand behind their product, they won't be getting my money. I've had knives wear out on me in the past and I have to be able to trust that they will make it right if that happens.

I create so many reason to buy knives that I'll happily jump on any excuse not to buy one. ;)

Camoninja didn't make me wait too long.....:yawn:
I could see this one coming... Was that the purpose of your thread?...re Strider-bashing. If not, you sure set it up nice.
I get tired of it.

Every one is entitled to there opinion. However this thread isn't about marketing. While you might not like it, I don't think selling a knife as a weapon is immoral. When a company lies to the customer through false advertising or copied another companies design exactly does that effect your decision to purchase there knife?

Does it matter if the company you purchase your knife from has shady practices? Or is owned by an individual who has below average integrity?

If it were known to me that a company was like this, that would also suggest to me that their products may possibly be questionable in regards to quality. I would certainly stay away from them if that were the case. I personally don't know of any at the moment but with this economy that could surely change at a moments notice.

I specifically put in my thread this isn't about a company or person . It is question of how a customer feels about a company or person that is dishonest or immoral.

I don't know all the details of the strider issue you speak of but if my original post makes you think of strider, I have to ask you why? This isn't a bash fest and if you don't want to contribute to the thread please don't cloud it up by derailing it.

What is your stance on my OP ?
Camoninja didn't make me wait too long.....:yawn:
I could see this one coming... Was that the purpose of your thread?...re Strider-bashing. If not, you sure set it up nice.
I get tired of it.

If there is something I don't like about the maker, but I do like the knives, I'll usually buy them second hand. That way I figure I'd not directly helping the maker. That being said, there are makers through their repeated actions that I'd still never deal with.

Last edited:
I'm trying to keep this from being a bash thread , by your post I take it you will not purchase a knife from a immoral or dishonest company.
Nothing ever from strider.

For me I focus a bit on where the knife was made as well as where I purchase the knife. I buy American and I avoid the Zon if possible.

If there is something I don't like about the maker, but I do like the knives, I'll usually buy them second hand. That way I figure I'd not directly helping the maker. That being said, there are makers through their repeated actions that I'd still never deal with.

+1... i was actually coming in to say this same thing

Nope, I buy what I want. I care a lot more about the knife in my pocket than the money in someone else's.

Yes. There are more than enough upstanding individuals and companies out there, that I do not have to buy from liars, crooks, companies with attitude problems, and even just plain jerks. Even makers with annoying fanboys.

More than enough really good folks out there who make outstanding knives.

When I think of buying a knife off a big manufacturer I don't really look at reputation as far as being a nice person affect my decision . But if there is proof that they wont fix a knife that they made then it would factor in my decision making... Im not talking about if it takes a long time to get fixed. I am patient .. but if they flat out wont fix it I wont buy from them. I have never ran into that yet.

If we are talking Chinese company's that do direct knock offs .. I will not spend a nickel on you . And I really don't think buying from them has any real benefit for the knife community as a whole . Them are plain old scumbags in my book. And they ruin the value of many legit designs by there presence.

On the custom side of things. It becomes more personal for me. If I talk to you on the phone or hear multiple accounts of any number of transgressions you will not see any money from me. If you make me feel like I am bothering you by asking you to make me a knife that's a buzz kill for me . As far a makers making similar knives .. They all have similarity's . They are all competing for the same dollars and they have to make what sells...so that forces them into that trend.

Yes. There are more than enough upstanding individuals and companies out there, that I do not have to buy from liars, crooks, companies with attitude problems, and even just plain jerks. Even makers with annoying fanboys.

More than enough really good folks out there who make outstanding knives.

I hear you on the fan boys .. That can kill my interest in a maker real quick.

Back