doc martains made in china now...

I went to buy a new pair of doc martins today and in my opinion they just didnt feel like the old docs im used to...and sure enough, the inside said china.. I was so let down...i used to love those boots. Is everything someday going to be made in china....gees

Only until people stop buying what's made cheaper there instead of better elsewhere -- then China will raise their quality, too, and their prices, and then we'll all be competitive again.

We cannot compete with our own greed.

I think I will move this to Gadgets & Gear, though, to let our gear freaks know to watch out for the bait & switch. :(

I told a friend of mine about Docs now being made in China a few months ago. Just this past weekend he showed me how the sole of his shoe is coming off. He said none of his older pairs of Docs ever did that...

Mark

Maybe it will cheer you up to learn that this problem is not restricted to America. Here in good old Oz you will find it hard to find a pair of shoes that are not made in China, other clothing items as well. :grumpy:

Very lame. I was figuring on a new pair of Docs sometime soon (read: when I had money). I guess Danner is where it is at then.

Think about this...

When people buy stuff that is made here, in large numbers... the small company that produces the product is making them as fast as they can, and people are still standing in line waiting. WHEN this happens, the company prices more machines/people... and then thinks... "MEXICO" or "China."

Easy way out? Nope... cuts costs, the people that want them because of the name will still buy them. Whens the last time you have seen "Nike" or any of the other big names with anything but china written on the tag?

Yes i see your point, but when i see made in china i feel like im really being taken for a ride. Im at the point now, where instead of owning lets say 5 pairs of boots that are so so; id rather just own one real expensive and great pair. Im finding there is no such thing as a bargin, and today more then ever you get what you pay for. Someone on here said it best a while back. Buy the best you can, it only hurts once. Same thing for my sebenza, yeah it was expensive but it was worth every penny, and i never regreted spending that much since the day i bought it. :)

I was going to get a pair of Danners untill I picked them up and they said made in China on them. Ended up buying a pair of Redwings that manages to grab every piece of sharp metal I get near. Had them a month and a half and I doubt they will last a year:\

Steven Roos said:
Very lame. I was figuring on a new pair of Docs sometime soon (read: when I had money). I guess Danner is where it is at then.

Be careful. Some of the Danners are being made in china now. Its Bulls**t.
:mad:

As often happens I tend to agree with Esav and he puts it better than I could.

My comments:

Don´t blame the Chinese for making cheap stuff, don´t blame the brand owners for taking production overseas, don´t blame Walmart for putting pressure for low price on the suppliers, blame the consumers for buying crap.

Dont blame us Mexicans either, many of us do believe in quality, even if we have to import stuff from the USA and pay for it more than Americans.

Luis

Esav Benyamin said:
I bet Wal Mart wrote the book on the new QC standards for them :D

As long as they come with that "10 foot smile" (Wal Mart rule) I guess we should all be happy...nevermind the fact the feet fill blister and that the boots will fall apart after a month.

:D

Don Luis said:
Don´t blame the Chinese for making cheap stuff, don´t blame the brand owners for taking production overseas, don´t blame Walmart for putting pressure for low price on the suppliers, blame the consumers for buying crap.
Dont blame us Mexicans either, many of us do believe in quality, even if we have to import stuff from the USA and pay for it more than Americans.

I am blaming Chechen lesbians for this one. :mad: :D :mad: :D

Hi All-

The parent company, AirWair, has clearly allowed quality to slip. This fact has been uncovered many, many times on BladeForums, as well as other boards. If you're really interested in a good pair of Dr. Martens, you'll need to locate an out-of-the-way store for new old stock (NOS) that has been sitting around a few years waiting for a paying customer to arrive.

The only way to exit this mess is to REJECT poor quality by keeping your money in your wallet and saving to invest in higher-quality goods.

~ Blue Jays ~

As far as I can I stick to this formula

Watches - Swizerland
Boots - Italy
Tents - US
Knives - US
Camera - Japan
Optics - Europe
Outdoor Clothes - UK. US

Doing this I am rarely dissapointed.

Temper said:
As far as I can I stick to this formula