Does Cold Steel have its own take on the Kephart knife?

A mid-range Kephart in SK5 would be pretty sweet. 3V for upper-range would be good too. I don’t know if it’s possible under the current management, but what the heck.

Take a look at the original CS Western Hunter 36PE, it’s close to a Kephart.

I am not aware of a CS version but I have and absolutely adore the KaBar - Becker BK-62 Kephart. Ethan Becker actually used an original Horace Kephart knife as a model and, as close as modern production methods allow, replicated that knife nearly exact. I have seen and actually handled the original Kephart that Ethan has.

The knife excels in everything it is not and has so much of what is left; an absolute brilliant design faithful to the original.

Because he loves history, and particularly knife and weapon history, Lynn Thompson often has been well ahead of the trends over the years. Occasionally, he was so far ahead that he introduced knives that weren't huge sellers because the knife world wasn't on the same page yet and Cold Steel was forced to drop the line.

If you really want to find Cold Steel's versions of "Kephart" knives, search for its long-defunct Red River and Hudson Bay lines--replicas of the traditional trapper trade knives made in the U.S.A. in Carbon V steel back in the early 1990s. They were offered in the Special Projects catalog, so you won't see them referenced in the Cold Steel catalog archives. If you're patient, you might find them for sale periodically.

IMG-1803.jpg

IMG-1804.jpg

IMG-1809.jpg

IMG-1810.jpg

You can see from the above pictures that there were two different sheaths. I believe that the nicer, heavier sheath (maroon-tinted leather) was earlier, though it may have simply been a different maker/manufacturer.

This photo also shows both sheath styles, as well as the original plastic bag wrapping that the knives came in when new.

IMG-1806.jpg

This isn't a great picture. But, unless my memory fails me, it depicts all of the models that Cold Steel offered.

IMG-1802.jpg

-Steve

I always wanted their scalping knife in CarbonV, That's a Nice collection, Congrats.

Just a point of clarification: None of those pictures or knives is mine. I pulled them off of the Internet for illustration.

Also, I looked up some catalog information and discovered that both the Red River and the Hudson Bay series are in the regular catalog archives, after all. You can read more about them in the 1995 and 1996/7 catalogs on the Cold Steel Web site.

As I mentioned, they were short-lived offerings, despite their very affordable prices and historic heritages. I marvel at the prices Condor, Becker, and even Ontario are asking for similar (if slightly less rustic) fare these days.

-Steve

Because he loves history, and particularly knife and weapon history, Lynn Thompson often has been well ahead of the trends over the years. Occasionally, he was so far ahead that he introduced knives that weren't huge sellers because the knife world wasn't on the same page yet and Cold Steel was forced to drop the line.

If you really want to find Cold Steel's versions of "Kephart" knives, search for its long-defunct Red River and Hudson Bay lines--replicas of the traditional trapper trade knives made in the U.S.A. in Carbon V steel back in the early 1990s. They were offered in the Special Projects catalog, so you won't see them referenced in the Cold Steel catalog archives. If you're patient, you might find them for sale periodically.

IMG-1803.jpg

IMG-1804.jpg

IMG-1809.jpg

IMG-1810.jpg

You can see from the above pictures that there were two different sheaths. I believe that the nicer, heavier sheath (maroon-tinted leather) was earlier, though it may have simply been a different maker/manufacturer.

This photo also shows both sheath styles, as well as the original plastic bag wrapping that the knives came in when new.

IMG-1806.jpg

This isn't a great picture. But, unless my memory fails me, it depicts all of the models that Cold Steel offered.

IMG-1802.jpg

-Steve

Wow. You just blew me away

Back