Durability of the Res-C handles?

Dadgummit

Gold Member
I know if it has the busse name it is tough as hell but I was hoping to hear from some long-term users about the durability of the Res-C handles.

I have a 1311 and the handle feels great, I have used it a few times but have only had it for less than a year. I guess I am worried if the comfortable soft rubber feel translates to easy to cut/ wear?

There are destruction tests on it from Nos on the Basic 9. Imo it's equal or greater durability than micarta / g10

Ive never beat on one with a hammer but I do know that it stomps the hog snot out of micarta and g10 when it comes to resisting abrasion from my bead blasting cabinet. Direct blasting had litteraly no effect on it other than a little discoloration from microscopic particles of the black blade coating getting pounded into it.

I think years ago the only damage I ever saw was when someone took a blow torch to a Test Team Regulator handle. Other than that I've never seen or heard of any damage happening. My 1311 is one of my most used blade and its perfect.

20170822_105517-1701x3024.jpg
This scrapper 5 has been to hell and back it took a heavy beating for years. The first time the res-c mudder handle was damaged was from me throwing it and then throwing another knife that stuck in the handle, i was able to use a lighter to melt the rubber and mash it back together with very little noticeable damage. I managed to beat the sh@# out of it daily using it as a all purpose tool with little effect other than some scratches and nicks in the res-c until the day it fell in a burn pile. I was chopping some branches off a tree in the rain and it slipped out of my hand and flew right into the bonfire deep in the coals. Burned 3 fingers pretty bad trying to get it out before grabbing a shovel to save my hand. At first I was devastated it was covered in charcoal and debris but after cleaning it up, cutting off melted chunks and remolding it a little bit it is back in action with character.
To answer your question about its durability, it is pretty tough in my experience. Not likely that you will damage it much with normal use and cuts in it are easily repaired with a lighter to soften and reform the rubber.

Keep it away from squirrels other than that it takes a hell of a beating.

I understand Timex tried to get there hands on it back in the day. Takes a Lickn but keeps on Tickn.

My CGBB13 found its way under the mower blades of my John Deere. It got thrown about 70 feet across the road. When I found it, there were deep chunks of blade that had been gouged off (not broken, not chipped; gouged). The Res C was in surprisingly good shape. You can get the whole story in the thread "Riddle of Steel" on this forum. Here in Busse. I'm a solid believer in Res C now. And it is the best handle in winter, since the tang isn't exposed.

You don't have to worry about the durability of Res-C. Under normal and ab-normal use there's not gonna be any other handle product that provides the same balance of comfort and durability as Res-C.

The only thing I've run up against is if you use your Res-C handled knife for an extended chopping or machete session it will work up one hell of a blister unless you're wearing some good gloves. Of course if your hands have callouses that have a HRc of at least 55 :rolleyes: you should be good to go barehanded. But anything less than that you better slap on some gloves if you're gonna be going at it for extended use.

Also of note, if you ever find yourself having to pound the knife from the butt end like a stake into something, a lot of your hammering force is gonna be absorbed by the Res-C...you'll still be able to drive it but it won't drive as fast as say when you're hammering down on the exposed pommel of a SARsquatch or a ASHBM.

Res-C is the stuff...for the Hogs that love it, it is not a reason to NOT buy a knife...

But rather, you find yourself longing for non-ResC models to be wrapped in the stuff.

Res-C encasing INFI is like maple bacon around filet mignon. :D

Last edited:
I think I need some res-c in my life. No experience with it so far...

I have a few in Res-C.

I like it quite a lot, especially in wet or cold situations.

It's not as glamorous as g10 or micarta, but it definitely has benefits over those two. Likewise, g10 or micarta has benefits over res-c.

Just have knives in both, figure out what you like for what, and go forth and cut stuff.

But the durability of Res-c shouldn't be of concern.

I'm frankly more excited about getting my DS than the A2tg because of the Res-C handle.

You probably won't like it much when you first get it.....but play with it for a bit and get used to how grippy it is and the different balance of the knife. Once you do, you will appreciate it's benefits much more.

Last edited:
I like my res-c on the smaller blades. I can't quite get used to it on the bigger ones, hence why I am reprofiling my CG BB13 and looking to possibly rehandle it to a firm scale material.

View attachment 775239
This scrapper 5 has been to hell and back it took a heavy beating for years. The first time the res-c mudder handle was damaged was from me throwing it and then throwing another knife that stuck in the handle, i was able to use a lighter to melt the rubber and mash it back together with very little noticeable damage. I managed to beat the sh@# out of it daily using it as a all purpose tool with little effect other than some scratches and nicks in the res-c until the day it fell in a burn pile. I was chopping some branches off a tree in the rain and it slipped out of my hand and flew right into the bonfire deep in the coals. Burned 3 fingers pretty bad trying to get it out before grabbing a shovel to save my hand. At first I was devastated it was covered in charcoal and debris but after cleaning it up, cutting off melted chunks and remolding it a little bit it is back in action with character.
To answer your question about its durability, it is pretty tough in my experience. Not likely that you will damage it much with normal use and cuts in it are easily repaired with a lighter to soften and reform the rubber.

This should be an ad for how tough the stuff can be, that blade is Mad Max apocalyptic bada** :thumbsup: and shows how tuff it can be. :)

I have a SYKCO 311 I received in a GAW that SpyderPhreak held a while back. I've used it out and about comin' up on 2 years now and so far so good, no issues at all with the handle. With the shoulder surgery last year it hasn't got the workout it should but it's gettin' used. If I had to have one complaint it would be that they get dirty very easily and will never look as perfect as the day you got it. I really appreciate it when it's below freezing outside to.

There it is, 4th from the left, in between the Dozier Toothpick and the Buck 102. :)

visHYmM.jpg

It is easily my favorite handle material. Especially in winter. As long as the dogs don't get hold of it, but if they do, I have more concerns about them chewing on the business end and hurting themselves. My oldest one is a Howling Rat (gen 2) from many years ago. Barely looks worn - maybe a little smoother than original.

Thank you to all that replied. I am definately picking at least one HOGB8 tonight and now have to decide between coated and satin finish.

I’m glad for this thread because I’m getting my very first one via dog soldier soon.

As long as you keep res-c from being chewed by rodents or melted by fire there is not much that can hurt it. It will always be far more durable than the flesh of the one wielding it! ;)

It would probably make an awesome dog chew toy. Stuff takes some crazy abuse.

Back