Electronic for a hunting trip

Who would have imagined 30 years ago that I would take electronic gadgets with me on a hunting trip. Who would have imagined that one would place me on a map within a dozen feet of accuracy using satellites and track my every move. Who would have imagined that I could make a phone call from the bush to anywhere in the world with another one. And who would have imagined 30 years ago that I could record the trip photographically with something the size of a credit card. Who would have imagined that these three marvels would fit in a single pocket of my hunting vest and weigh less than 1/2 pound combined. It boggles the mind.

electronics.jpg

Knife Outlet said:
Who would have imagined that I could make a phone call from the bush to anywhere in the world?

Take or make a 'phone call near me in the wild and you'll have to retain a proctologist to recover the handset! :D

One of the reasons I love being out in the hills is to get away from damned 'phones.

maximus otter

Gollnick

Musical Director
Knife Outlet said:
Who would have imagined that I could make a phone call from the bush to anywhere in the world with another one.
electronics.jpg

Ah... not with that one.

Maybe one of these
motorola-9505.jpg

What really boggles my mind is where this is possibly going next.

Edit: And while we're on this topic of cell phones. It sucks how we lag behind the rest of the world in cell phone tech. Land lines have all but dissapeared in a lot of other countries and you can make intl. calls with your cell too. They also have TV and all kinds of other stuff on phones that is just becoming available here. To be honest, I don't care for most of the extra features on phones, but it'd be nice if they could make it so your signal doesn't drop in some places and stuff. I have a quad-band phone - it's supposed to be usable in other countries as well I think?

maximus otter said:
Take or make a 'phone call near me in the wild and you'll have to retain a proctologist to recover the handset! :D

One of the reasons I love being out in the hills is to get away from damned 'phones.

maximus otter

I agree completey. It is for emergency use only. If I were hunting with you and you were injured, you would be glad I had it.

To think 200 years ago all they needed was a good Map, Compass, Journal and a Pencil total weight ounces, worked without batteries, provided instant gratification and taught you discipline.

I like my toys too, my GPS has been a constant companion since mid to late 90s, it's travelled all over the world with me.

No, it's a satellite phone. It doesn't require you to be within range of a cell tower. All you need is a clean shot to the sky and you're good to go. MOST of the U.S. has cellular coverage, but there are many places where an Iridium Satphone comes in handy.(The Bahamas, Caymans and Turks and Caicos come immediately to mind). A BIT pricey for day-to-day use. I think you can still rent them by the week if you are traveling to places that don't have cellular coverage.