1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Embarrassing knife stories?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Randanator, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Randanator

Randanator

Aug 19, 2018
    The other week I dropped my Leatherman Sidekick on the floor at church because i was bored and playing with it, which made a huge noise and caused a few heads to turn. Do you guys have any embarrassing knife stories?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  2. Blues Bender

Blues Bender Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2014
    I tried to jimmy a door open with my Protech and accidentally closed the blade on my finger. Needed 3 stitches, and I still have nerves damage (numb) over 8 months later.

3. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    It was a birthday gathering; and someone required a knife to cut the ribbons of the box which contained the birthday cake. I offered my folder for the job... it was returned within seconds when it was found that it edge was completely dull... yeah, it was a little embarrassing moment to live through.

4. katanas

katanas

Jan 6, 2012
    Dull knife! In Public! :eek: You should be given an infraction with points. ;)

5. 19-3ben

19-3ben Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Reported for dull knife. ;)

For me, it was when I was brand new to knives. I bought a Buck 110 and didn’t realize that the spring on a back lock pulls the blade into the handle once it hits a certain point in the closing process. I was a newb and my fingers were in the way. That thing got me and cut me deep right across the top of my right ring and pinky finger. I hadn’t even waited till I got home to open it up, so of course I’m in the drivers seat of my car in a big box parking lot dripping blood everywhere. Luckily I have a first aid kit in the car and was sorted out with bandage, hand above heart, and pressure within 2-3 minutes.

As per standard protocol, that knife became mine at that moment and I also learned to get my fingers out of the path of a closing blade.

Smaug, bemymonkey, Odog27 and 5 others like this.
  6. Stumpy72

Stumpy72

Jul 5, 2018
    A while ago--before I started lurking here, before I knew which way was up and before I knew WTF I was doing, I bought a Sanrenmu. At the time, it seemed like a sensible alternative to all those shockingly expensive (i.e: >$100) knives. I’ve since moved into ZT’s, a Reate, an Olamic and a Sebenza, but I still have that stupid Sanrenmu. I keep it as a reminder of what can happen when I go buying things before I know what I’m doing.

7. wazu013

wazu013 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 14, 2011
    I took a bunch of $5 import autos out to the flea mkt to see if I could trade for something better. I came across this 13" AKC switch and swapped 10 cheapos for it. I left there thinking I made a great trade. I ran home and took some pics and posted it on a switchblade forum. Well it turns out that back in the early 90's some clown copied 13" AKC switches and flooded the market with them. So instead of getting a great deal I got shafted. If it's too good to be true it probably is.
    042.JPG

Smaug, Lapedog and stonproject like this.
  8. USMCPOP

USMCPOP

Jan 6, 2016
    My wife and I were on a night bus enroute to Bangkok, Thailand. In our shared bag, I had a big knife I'd bought from a Hmong hilltribe smith in a refugee camp. At a police or military checkpoint, all male passengers had to get off so they could check for drugs, weapons, illegals, whatever.

They went through the bus and asked where the foreigner's bag was located. My Thai wife just pointed to the bag overhead. In is, they found the knife, which was somewhat like a Bowie, about 10" or so blade. Outside they confronted me about the "weapon". I explained to them in Thai that it was no big deal, just a knife I was bringing home. It didn't hurt that I had ID indicating that I was working with the Embassy. They finally stopped fussing and gave the knife to the bus stewardess for safekeeping.

The stewardess and passengers were a bit annoyed at the delay. She admonished me, saying she had announced prior to departure to check guns and weapons before leaving. I guess they would hide them up front, LOL.

The embarrassing part - or funny. What did they think of finding ladies underwear in my bag? My wife never let on that she knew me.

Smaug, bemymonkey, Odog27 and 3 others like this.
  9. Dogdrawz

Dogdrawz

Aug 15, 2016
    Had a fixed blade Case with a leather sheath & was super sharp. As I was sheathing the blade, I felt a bit of resistance so I pushed a bit harder, more resistance, pushed even harder. Got to the point the knife just wouldn't continue. Turned over the knife & to my surprise, the knife had sliced right through the sheath. Glued the sheath & the knife is still razor sharp.

bemymonkey, GABaus and Rykjeklut like this.
  10. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Had a moment to play with my Regular Sebenza, and was amazed (again) at its smoothness. Put in back in safe and bought a used large Sebbie on the same day off of the Exchange. I've been carrying it for two wks and was personally embarrassed at how dull it was. (I also carry a fixed 3-in cross-draw (INFI) which is sharp as an ex-wife's tongue.) Finally put the Sebbie on my Edge Pro last nite; (40 degree included angle, 320 grit.) and it slides thru Yellow Pages like a mad beast. Now I feel better.

11. Randanator

Randanator

Aug 19, 2018
    I know next to nothing about quality switchblades, I would have fell for it too.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    wazu013 likes this.
  12. PoorUserName

PoorUserName

Aug 28, 2017
    I have several Mora knives, I bough a Mora Scout knife, When i received the knife it was a bit smaller than i expected, I removed the knife from the holster and promptly sliced my finger, The blade was extremely thin and super sharp.

Smaug likes this.
  13. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp The Looking Edge Sharpening Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 30, 2016
    When I was 12 I had a crush on a girl that lived up the street. She came over in the mornings to carpool to school as her folks went to work super early.

Being a purebred knife knut I already had a pretty sizable collection of knives and one morning she made the mistake of mentioning she liked one of them on my desk. Surely she wanted to see and hear about EVERY SINGLE one of them then right?

Long story short a cheap balisong slipped from my hand during a dazzling display of flipping prowess, flew across the room and scratched her arm. Thankfully it was pretty dull and didn't do any real damage. We didn't date. Lol

14. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Have to say that's pretty embarrassing if you like knives and people know it. ;)

15. RBid

RBid

Apr 6, 2014
    Things get embarrassing for me every time I try to thumb a front flipper. I put on quite a demonstration of ineptitude at the Olamic table at Blade West. Busker 20, Ryan 0.

16. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I was at KSF's store and asked to look at a CRK folder... frame lock. I don't own any frame lock knives and I asked that they open it for me. That was a little embarrassing actually considering I have so many knives.

bemymonkey, SharpieB and Sonnydaze like this.
  17. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp The Looking Edge Sharpening Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 30, 2016
    Does it work? Not exactly being a practical knife, as long as it works I'd think it's ok. Sure, it's not a real AKC, but it is still an insanely cool switch.

wazu013 likes this.
  18. stonproject

stonproject Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 22, 2013
    I had a cheap piece of crap bali when I was really young. It had taken one too many falls I guess because once when I went to flip the knife open the handle flew off and hit me in the face :D

autogateman, Smaug, Steve1950 and 2 others like this.
  19. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Let’s just say don’t fall asleep sitting up on your bed with a sharp knife in your hand. Luckily it was minor, just raked the edge across the four fingers of my right hand. (Was holding knife in left)

The worst cut was on my index and even that was fairly minor. Could have been alot worse. If you’re going to play with your knives past bedtime keep ‘em closed.

willc, Steve1950, T. Erdelyi and 2 others like this.
  20. katanas

katanas

Jan 6, 2012
    I have NEVER done anything embarrassing with a knife! :cool: I did embarrass myself with a sword by rubbing oil the full length (30+ inches) without changing my grip thereby removing a thin section of my index finger; but that was a sword, not a knife. :rolleyes: I embarrassed myself with a rifle by shooting a hole in the ceiling (I learned that pulling the trigger on an M-1 carbine is NOT the way to start cleaning it), but that was a firearm not a knife. ;) NEVER a knife, well, unless you count the time.....never mind. :eek:

Lance Leon and kbirk2003 like this.