Esee Becker kitchen knives

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by Brad "the butcher", Jan 31, 2018.

1. Brad "the butcher"

Brad "the butcher"

Dec 15, 2008
    What's your opinion on the 4116 stainless vs the old sets of vg1?....

4116 is what coldsteel uses on their cheapset series

2. tjswarbrick

tjswarbrick

Mar 31, 2011
    When where the ESEE Beckers done in VG1?

VG1 is a "high carbon" stainless with +/- 1% C, 14% Cr, and .3% Mo. A little nickel, and no Vanadium.
    Pretty basic stainless, but a solid base.

4116 is only medium carbon at +/- .5%, similar Cr, double the Moly, and a touch of Vanadium.
    Seems a pretty cheap steel; some speculate it's very close to the X50 Cr MoV 15 used by Wusthoff, Henckels, and other German house brands.

I bought the ESEE/Becker set as a secret Santa gift 3-4 years ago. I assume the 4116 version, but don't have them or the packaging nearby to check. They wound up at my sister's place. Light, thin, shaving sharp out of the box.
    Last summer I did some prep work while visiting. They were so dull!!! Slipped off onions, and tomatoes were a no-go with any of them.
    I hit each of 'em with 3 progressive grits on the worksharp. Chef's took a very nice edge. When done, all would shave, but the big one would really cut.
    Sister was thrilled that her knives worked again. (B-I-L is a very handy guy, but sharpening kitchen knives is totally off his radar.)
    I told 'em to stop cutting on plates and sticking them in the dishwasher!
    6 months later, that laser edge is gone, but all 4 would still slice a tomato without too much trouble.

I expect VG1 would take a little more effort to sharpen, but give a finer result, without as much toothiness. And hold it longer.
    But it really depends on the heat treat and equipment used.

Tanker 1/66 likes this.
  3. ocnLogan

ocnLogan

Jul 31, 2011
    Yeah, I'm not aware of a Becker/ESEE set of kitchen knives done in VG1. The Becker/ESEE kitchen set of knives I'm aware of (the "Series 1" set) use 1.4116 steel, just like the Cold Steel knives you're talking about.

I bought my parents a set a few years ago, and for the price I paid for the set, it was a screaming deal. As stated before, they were very sharp out of the box, and have good ergos/etc. The edge retention feels vaugely similar to other similar knives (Victorinox fibrox line of kitchen knives mostly) based on my limited testing, but with better edge geometry.

No experience with Cold Steels kitchen knives, so I can't comment on them specifically.

If you want other good relatively inexpensive kitchen knives, I've been very happy with the Tojiro DP lineup (VG10, each of my knives have been between ~$35-75). Our Victorinox Santoku (~$35-40ish) is good as well.

19-3ben likes this.
  4. Rebel Nimrod

Rebel Nimrod

Jan 23, 2014
    Had a set for a few months, holds an edge pretty well, better than run of the mill Walmart sets. Probabily not as good as higher end VG-10 blades. For the money they are exceptional! I would recommend them.

5. Brad "the butcher"

Brad "the butcher"

Dec 15, 2008
    Thanks guys

6. BRL

BRL

Apr 27, 2011
    I touch them up every time but love em still. Too bad my chef's has two edge dings and a broken tip and no one will fess up.

7. zuluninja

zuluninja boricua grinder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 25, 2009
    Bought them last year and they promptly kicked out several knives off the block; excellent cutting geometry and easy to touch up.

8. Jonny1280

Jonny1280 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2012
    I like mine a lot.
    I use them more than all my other kitchen knives.
    They take a good edge and are comfortable to use.

9. Guyon

Guyon Biscuit Whisperer Staff Member Super Mod

Mar 15, 2000
    No VG versions I'm aware of. Here are mine. Love 'em and even have a spare set I bought at a discontinued sale price. The other two are Cutco / Ka-Bar Dogshead knives I bought as new old-stock. They ARE VG-10.

0201181800.jpg

Tanker 1/66 and Xr6x like this.