Ethnic designs?

Well, we have the Lum Chinese, The old Tanto style folder(Japanese), the Persian and the Kris. I wonder what else the spyderknuts would like to see in the way of ethnic designs. I also wonder what other designs might be in the works?:cool:

Firebat

Gold Member
Don't forget the Shabaria. That was pretty cool.

Or the Singh Khalsa for that matter.

or the karambit or the mini persian or the fixed tanto. I wouldn't mind seeing another folding bowie. The chinook II certainly qualifies but it doesn't seem to fit the ethnic design mold like the others do. Oh yeah and the "fly" that is another ethnic design. Another one I would love to see is a fixed persian style knife, especially a persian style bowie. Not a big one but something combining the persian blade shape with ergos from the chinook or manix handles.

nozh2002

BANNED
How about

Pchak (sounds cool):

http://www.rusartknife.urbannet.ru/images/golovin/pchak2.html
pchak2_large.jpg

This is from Samarkand area. Main idea - thin handle and wide blade.

Thanks, Vassili.

ALso: http://quappe.narod.ru/pchaks.html

Bob was about the first in the custom industry to offer an Americanized version of the Japanese small Knife, the Tanto. Tons of custom knives have been designed with the Lum influence. Bob incorporated Japanese and Chinese styling in his oriental stylized pieces.

Personally I have designed the Gurka a stylized Khukuri, the Barong influenced from a Philippine bolo. I have a Corsican Navaja, in the works.

I have designed two versions of the Scandanavian Puukko. All of these designs are stylized versions of the inspirational piece.

All these ethnic pieces are stylized and are not traditional. There are specific attributes that can be translated to give the interpetation, the symbolism of the traditional piece...Take Care...Ed

Sal Glesser

The Kris is "this years" ('06") ethnic design. The small persian is being offered as an "addition" because of requests (and the available design). The smaller Persian is not just a "shrunk down Persian", but a new design with the ergos for a normal sized hand.

I expect to have a proto of the "Barong" at the SHOT show.

The "Gurka" is also being discussed for production.

We expect to do a minimum of one "Ethnic" folder per year. If demand requires, we would do occasional "sprints" with different materials of previous designs.

The Lum "Tanto", Lum "Chinese folder", Bradichanski "Shabaria", Schempp "Persian" and Schempp "Kris" have been interesting projects.

sal

Sal Glesser said:
We expect to do a minimum of one "Ethnic" folder per year. If demand requires, we would do occasional "sprints" with different materials of previous designs.

sal

I'd like to see a sprint run of the Shabaria.

Tom

zenheretic said:
hmmm I always thought the tanto was a Japanese design embraced by the USA :p

Ummnn no...

This is a real tanto:
04254.jpg

This is the Lum Tanto:

FB03.jpg

The only similarities is that they have a single edge.

The "American Tanto" is not a tanto.

I'd also be very interested in a Shabaria sprint. But I've made that well known ;)

It's such a great design and so hard to come by these days.

-Bryan

zenheretic

Gold Member
Cabbit said:
Ummnn no...

This is a real tanto:
04254.jpg

This is the Lum Tanto:

FB03.jpg

The only similarities is that they have a single edge.

The "American Tanto" is not a tanto.
Yes a traditional Japanese tanto is much longer, has a more elegant and reasonable tip and of course a traditional handle wrap. However most modern folk don't prefer a half sword length blade, and the hand wrap was replaced by more modern materials...seems like you are splitting a few two many hairs on this one.

Oddly I can see more similar than different between the two, and really the major difference is the grind of the tip that seems to mimic the tip of a wakazashi blade to my untrained eye...yet another Japanese blade. So TECHNICALLY, it is a knife that wasn't used in feudal Japan, if we are to assume that the picture you provided is the only version of a Tanto ever made in feudal Japan. However it certainly holds vast Japanese influence and doesn't resemble anything traditionally American. If it isn't a tanto or a "tanto inspired blade" what is it? How dare we not call it an American tanto instead of just Tanto. Obviously our opinions differ.

The grind is totally different at all points.

Traditional tanto/aikuchi = Full flat-grind with zero-bevel edge (often convex), sometimes with fuller, with a soft continuous slope from point to belly.

American tanto = Saber and/or hollow-ground with bevelled edge, and a sharply angular transition between point and belly.

The outline is inspired by the traditional tanto, but otherwise they are totally different IMO. Don't get me wrong, I think the Lum design, especially the fixed blade, is beautiful. But it is not much like the tantos I've seen displayed in museums.

zenheretic

Gold Member
Michael Cook said:
Zenheretic, isn't that an "O tanto" or great tanto?
Michael; Don't mistake me for someone who knows anything ;)

Some folks seem to think it is a total American design...oddly I still haven't seen the knife that inspired an "American Tanto" other than the Japanese tanto pictured. I think it is very much influenced or as some would say "ethnic". I guess we dare not call it a tanto however...perhaps a dwarf wakazashi...with a different grind.:yawn:

Zen... it's an american design... Not a tanto...

Quit trying to fit a square peg in a round hole...

yep. Lum tanto is a tanto only in name....shares nothing with the real deal other than vague shape and the fact that its sharp.

Ed Schempp said:
I have designed two versions of the Scandanavian Puukko. All of these designs are stylized versions of the inspirational piece.

I would love to see something with a scandanavian "0" edge grind from spyderco. With a steel optimized for that kind of grind.

Anyone else?