Ever buy a .."better".. knife and wish you hadn't?

I'm smitten with a Benchmade Stryker ....white....blade. I am fighting the urge. I....know..... it will be heavy like my black bladed one was and I will relegate it back to the drawer and go back to alternating my Delica and U2.

But...it's so ....bitchin! Mean an tuff an shiny an skeery an all.

I need a support group. Help me with my faltering resolve.

ANOTHER geek with an unused former "notion" is no asset to the blade community. Help me to see the light that I have seen before.

Read my lips! ................... NO NEW KNIVES!

:( :footinmou :mad:

Bought a Pearl Handled William Henry Lancet, beautiful knife, fit and finish outstanding. Problem is I want more.

Many, many times.

A funny thing happened to me in my late 40's. I used to have a very large knife collection and most were some very high end knives. Then for some reason I just got burned out on them, shipped most of them down to A.G. Russell to be sold off. Others I gave to family and friends.

Now I still love knives, but I carry low end knives like Opinels, Case sodbusters, sak's and Schrade Old Timers. For fixed blades I use one of my Mora bladed frosts or 12 inch Ontario machete.

Now I don't worry about buying a new knife; I'm only spending about ten bucks.

I have and use both a Stryker and a Delica, and while carrying the Delica is more comfortable I tend to leave it at home most often, favoring the Stryker due to the comfort and the heft of a quality piece of work. And I've got 3 Rescue Strykers lined up ready for use, although at this point they'll never see anything at all. .

I also have the Delica and use it a bunch.

One knife that I did buy and wish I hadn't because it almost never gets used is my Sere 2000. It's a tad on the heavy side and way more than I need in an EDC. It may end up on ebay!

Collecter

Yeah. I've bought a better knife and then regretted it. I bought a nice unique graphic and stone inlaid S30V small Sebenza to replace the plain BG42 one I had lost a year earlier. I can't bring myself to carry it and use it. I wish I'd bought a plain one and customized it a little as I'd use it. I loved my lost Sebbie and used it all the time, but I know they get scratched up in use and my new one is too pretty to beat up. One day I'll find the right deal on a user S30V small sebbie and have the cash to buy it, but todays not that day. It's an awesome knife with great ergos and I miss it in my EDC rotation.

John

ErikD

Gold Member
Yeah, I will fess up to it. I bought a Strider AR because of all the hype of how bullet proof they are. It was a great knife, and probably everything said about them is true. Just more knife than I really needed. It was to large and bulky for me to carry on a regular basis, so it spent most of its time sitting on my shelf. I just realized that a smaller (not really blade length, just overall package) was more useful for what I needed.

Yes, mine would be a becker magnum camp knife and the worst a rambo 3 knife I bought back inthe 80's when the movie came out, very embarrassing to admit! I took the rambo 3 united and tried to cut a sapling with it! Bad idea!! It was instantly turned into a flail!!! To make myself feel better, when I got out of basic training, went to my first duty station, I bought a handmade tak fakuta one handed folder through the mail. The said thing is I no longer have that folder, who would have known it would have been something to hold onto? This was when the first walker lock one handers were handmades, no production folders of this kind yet!! I remember the knife knuts who looked at it were amazed!! And that knife had a finish that few knives do!

On a different note:

I have a stryker bought many years ago when they first came out, in ATS-34. Not to influence you, certainly do not mean too, but I still use that knife in my rotation. Its one of those blades that can be very useful (and very well designed!). i end up going back to mine every so often.

Daniel Dorn

Gold Member
I got a William Henry Damascus and pearl Lancet, once, and that one was so perfect, and beautiful that I couldn't bear to keep it. I like to use all my knives, and that one would never see the light of day, so I sold it.

I also had a pearl-handled damascus bladed push-button custom switchblade. I actually wasn't afraid to use it, as it was used when I got it, but stupid me, I traded it off. That was after having had it appraised for $300 more than I paid for it. :eek: I have made some mistakes...

DD