Ever lose a knife that just tore you up? And can anyone help with a resurrection? :(

000Robert

Gold Member
Hey guys,

So, in the middle of the last crappy year, I managed to make it infinitely worse for myself by losing a knife which meant a lot to me in several ways. It was my first real "grail knife" and I loved it and carried it so often that even as the shine wore off, it was a beauty to me. It always cut like a dream and did endless hard work, as its name would suggest. It truly was my EDC and I never hesitated to use it, and never would have parted ways willingly.

I struggle to even type this as I didn't want to admit it to myself but yes, like the gigantic idiot I am, I lost my 2002 Redwood Burl Sebenza with Bronze ladder damascus blade. After 18 years of faithful service in my belt pouch and pocket, it slipped away and I've finally admitted to myself that I'm not suddenly going to find it in the bottom of a drawer or under the bag in a box of cereal. I have just managed to order a new Sebenza, and though I can't be as fancy as I was last time, I look forward to trying a new model and seeing what has changed, for better or worse.

I'm wondering if anyone else has any similar stories they're willing to tell, tales of love and loss that must be a part of carrying anything that consistently. Share, and be free, others might judge you but I surely won't. I just hope that somewhere out there a new knife knut has been born, and that they treasure what they have.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My own hope at redemption is a difficult one. When I ordered the knife originally, I was hesitant about the damascus and ordered a "spare" plain blade for it, which along with the pivot bushing is now all I have left. I have asked CRK, unfortunately, there is nothing they can do. A great warranty and parts supply they may have but 19 years is a long time! Can anyone suggest a way to get this blade working again? Am I insane for thinking someone might be able to "rebuild" a handle for it, even if it is different than original? Almost certainly yes but I hope you guys understand that I have to try.

anonymous photo sharing

Thanks for reading and I hope your knives stay eternally in your pockets (or hands).

Maybe someone took it on five finger discount? Sorry to hear your loss no matter how it happened. I know that sometimes I hide stuff so good that I can't even find it until one day I find it when I'm looking for something else.

bigsurbob

Gold Member
I forgot to take the Spyderco Sage 2 out of my pocket going through the airport terminal in San Jose in 2017. Those TSA guys are tough. Not a lot of humor. As I begrudgingly handed it over and watched him place it in a garbage bag, I said, "Someone may want to mark that bag for later eh ;)?"

No smiles.

Very sorry for your loss yikes.
upload_2021-1-30_20-46-34.gif

ron finkbeiner jr

Gold Member
A long time ago I lost an Emerson Commander number 069 that Mrs. Emerson hand picked for me out of the first run of commanders ever made. I was using it to strip some wire to get a turn signal to working again on an old freightliner. I had left it on the cat walk (I think) and took off driving. Later it had occurred to me that my commander was not where it was supposed to be which was in my pocket. I was heartbroken over that.

K.O.D.

Chief Navigator, Lemming division
Platinum Member
My first one hand opening knife, and the first knife I purchased with my own money was a SOG Pentagon Elite, 1996, liner lock. I was 17, and was making $5 per hour, and got a steal on it for $35 as the store was going out of business. I had it a good 8 years. One of my jobs, the door lock was old and beat up, people having trouble getting in. Stuck the tip of the knife in the lock, and it opened no problem. Ah to be young and foolish.

The other one I lost hurts bad. Wenger Nomad my great uncle gave for my 7th birthday in 1986. It disappeared after moving home in August 2016 when I was diagnosed with liver failure. At some point during 2017 it disappeared. My dad is a hoarder, albeit fairly organized, but my mom is a shove it somewhere it's not visible person. I'm sure it's in this house somewhere, but them having been in this house for 29 years...

Also somewhere in that time period my trusty, slightly rusty Leatherman wave also disappeared. I found it about 18 months ago in a box full of picture frames under a bed. Apparently, when the guest room was remodeled into the "transformer room" for the (at the time 2) nephews when they sleep over. Probably my mom borrowed it, my dad would have put it back where it belonged. I'm guessing something similar happened to the Wenger.

My mom is the same one who borrowed my TSF Beast and left it stuck in the ground at the cemetery for a day. Luckily, it was still there the next day.

Family, can't live with them, etc...

Hopefully this year will see me get back out on my own after all the medical crap. Of course, then I can only put the blame on myself. And my cat.

I've lost other knives, but cheapies I don't care about.

Reactions: DMG

000Robert

Gold Member
My first one hand opening knife, and the first knife I purchased with my own money was a SOG Pentagon Elite, 1996, liner lock. I was 17, and was making $5 per hour, and got a steal on it for $35 as the store was going out of business. I had it a good 8 years. One of my jobs, the door lock was old and beat up, people having trouble getting in. Stuck the tip of the knife in the lock, and it opened no problem. Ah to be young and foolish.

The other one I lost hurts bad. Wenger Nomad my great uncle gave for my 7th birthday in 1986. It disappeared after moving home in August 2016 when I was diagnosed with liver failure. At some point during 2017 it disappeared. My dad is a hoarder, albeit fairly organized, but my mom is a shove it somewhere it's not visible person. I'm sure it's in this house somewhere, but them having been in this house for 29 years...

Also somewhere in that time period my trusty, slightly rusty Leatherman wave also disappeared. I found it about 18 months ago in a box full of picture frames under a bed. Apparently, when the guest room was remodeled into the "transformer room" for the (at the time 2) nephews when they sleep over. Probably my mom borrowed it, my dad would have put it back where it belonged. I'm guessing something similar happened to the Wenger.

My mom is the same one who borrowed my TSF Beast and left it stuck in the ground at the cemetery for a day. Luckily, it was still there the next day.

Family, can't live with them, etc...

Hopefully this year will see me get back out on my own after all the medical crap. Of course, then I can only put the blame on myself. And my cat.

I've lost other knives, but cheapies I don't care about.

I hope you beat that cancer!

K.O.D.

Platinum Member
I hope you beat that cancer!

Thus far, I've been in remission for two years from the blood cancer. I was lucky in that my childhood brain tumor wasn't cancer. Liver is fine too. Thanks for asking. Cancer sucks. Lost both my grandfather's to it.

jfk1110

Gold Member
Sorry for the lost treasure! Hate when that type of thing happens. I've lost A few over the years but nothing really stands out in my mind. However, while I was hospitalized in 2017 someone lifted my Sebenza 25 & ZT 561 from my belongings. Talk about twisted.. I still have my stomach in knots every time I think of those two knives and where they've gotten off too!!

Hope you find A solution for the extra blade!! I'm sure there is someone around here with the skills to make you some nice titanium handles for it. Try posting your wants up in the services wanted section!
Good luck!!
James

000Robert

Gold Member
Thus far, I've been in remission for two years from the blood cancer. I was lucky in that my childhood brain tumor wasn't cancer. Liver is fine too. Thanks for asking. Cancer sucks. Lost both my grandfather's to it.

I'm glad that you beat it. And I hope you never have to worry about cancer again.

000Robert

Gold Member
Sorry for the lost treasure! Hate when that type of thing happens. I've lost A few over the years but nothing really stands out in my mind. However, while I was hospitalized in 2017 someone lifted my Sebenza 25 & ZT 561 from my belongings. Talk about twisted.. I still have my stomach in knots every time I think of those two knives and where they've gotten off too!!

Hope you find A solution for the extra blade!! I'm sure there is someone around here with the skills to make you some nice titanium handles for it. Try posting your wants up in the services wanted section!
Good luck!!
James

That's pretty cold stealing from someone in the hospital like that. They need to be staked on an ant bed.

jfk1110

Gold Member
Yup! Believe me I had all sorts of things planned for this person if I caught up with them!!!
In the end it just kept me twisted so had to let it fly to the best of my abilities! Some days I fail but for the.most part is generally not even thought of!!! Till a thread like this comes back around! Hahaha

K.O.D.

Platinum Member
That's pretty cold stealing from someone in the hospital like that. They need to be staked on an ant bed.

Doctors can be knife nuts too. One ER doctor I had carried a Spyderco Leafstorm on the job.

I can see maybe if it's left laying out it might get locked up in the nurses station, but jeez.

Eliteone2383

Gold Member
My pawpaw had bought me an old timer folding knife. Not the most expensive knife mind you but you couldn't put a price on the sentimental value. Anyway I was crabbing with a buddy off a pier and laid my knife down after cutting some bait. Buddy walked over and accidentally kicked the knife in the water. I grabbed a net and tried for the better part of an hour to find my knife but it was gone. That one really hurt.

000Robert

Gold Member
My pawpaw had bought me an old timer folding knife. Not the most expensive knife mind you but you couldn't put a price on the sentimental value. Anyway I was crabbing with a buddy off a pier and laid my knife down after cutting some bait. Buddy walked over and accidentally kicked the knife in the water. I grabbed a net and tried for the better part of an hour to find my knife but it was gone. That one really hurt.

Too bad you didn't have a large magnet hooked to a rope.

3fifty7

Gold Member
As a kid I lost a few (quite a few), recently one sticks out though. The 2020 forum knife has been “misplaced” for about 6 months now.
View attachment 1511873
I’m not big into traditionals but I do like a single blade wharncliffe.
I’ve replaced a couple others I lost as a kid the only other one(aside from a forum knife if mine doesn’t turn up) is a Buffalo Skinner.

Found it !

Just so happened to be exactly where I left it, in the original box in my glove compartment for some reason.

Looking back at my last picture it’s been three and a half months.

Mossyhorn

Enlightened Rogue
Gold Member
Don't give up yet. I lost a Super CQC 8 years ago. I looked all over and thought it was gone forever. It turned up about 5 months later when it fell out of my recliner. I hope you find it.

hhmoore

Gold Member
The 2020 forum knife has been “misplaced” for about 6 months now.
I saw this back when it was first posted, and thought to myself: I'm not sure what I did with mine, either...
I bought two (plus a slip). Didn't open them right away. When I did (maybe a week or two later?), I took a couple of pictures to post; then put them back in their boxes. Fast forward to now, and I don't have a clue what I did with the boxes...or even if it was me that did something with them. I know they're not on/in my desk; and I haven't seen them in any of the various places I store knives.

Glad to see you found yours!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

sgt1372

Platinum Member
My favorite "pocket knife" was and always has been a black PE Kershaw Shallot 1840CKT that I bought for around $75 OTD in the late 80's at a gun show for what I considered a lot of $ back then.

It always had a loose clip and I never had the sense to tighten it. Lost it somewhere; I know not where. Thought about it constantly until finally I did something about it and bought a replacement.

That was before I got into the "hobby" and now I have the replacement as a user PLUS 6 variations including a S110V and 2 Damascus versions for a small but still incomplete collection of Kershaw Shallots.

Bigfattyt

Gold Member
I am still looking for a Spyderco I lost about 3 years ago.

I'v lost a J. Oeser one off custom. A two bladed xl gunstock, but found it again after a week. That happened more than once with that knife.

I feel your pain.

It’s not nearly in the same value class, but I left my Beretta Loveless hunter on the tailgate of my truck after skinning a deer and the next morning it was gone. A neighborhood dog apparently ran off with it. Five years later I was tilling my spring garden and to my amazement I saw it in the dirt when the tiller had brought it to the surface. So never say never...

index.php