1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED! Live stream of the winners being picked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ6xurJWkhs

Hey folks! We're having a Becker Giveaway over in the Giveaway forum, check it out and have a chance to win a free Becker 4 Machax, Becker 5 Magnum Camp, or Becker 15 Short Trailing Point!

Exactly how high are the tolerances on CRK?

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by Valmak, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Valmak

Valmak

Aug 9, 2017
    Everybody always talks about how CRKs have very high tolerances. Does anybody know exactly how high the tolerances are? For example, are the tolerances within +- .001 inches or what?

2. mt666tm

mt666tm Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2012
    As tight as they may be, you just can't beat 'Zero Tolerance' ... a ha ha :confused:

thefamcnaj, Lapedog and Valmak like this.
  3. bhyde

bhyde UNNECESSARY EVIL Staff Member Super Mod Moderator Platinum Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Depends on what part you are talking about, but generally speaking...well within .001in for most parts.

4. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    They are .001 better than the competition in most cases.

5. mt666tm

mt666tm Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2012
    Killing time on Knifeart and i came across this:

"To say Chris Reeve is a perfectionist is an understatement. Any criticism he receives, might be the level of tolerances his knives are held to. Surface grinding his blades, handles, and other components to tolerances within 1/10th of 1000th of an inch on the Sebenza 21 alone, many would consider it overkill for a folding knife. This allows for no play in the blade in side to side motion whatsoever. This knife is held to requirements by the maker and manufacturer which rival the aerospace industry, setting it lightyears apart from competitors"

6. Valmak

Valmak

Aug 9, 2017
    Ok so the handle on the small Sebenza 21 is supposed to be 3.935" long. So in reality they are between 3.9349" and 3.9351" long.

7. nickpp

nickpp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Not sure what you point is? Is that not close enough for you?

8. Valmak

Valmak

Aug 9, 2017
    lol. no point dude. just curious. is that ok with you?

9. bhyde

Mar 19, 2002
    Not necessarily-
    The handle length isn't functional to the extent it has to be that tight, so I would expect that to have an industry standard of +-.005in
    Mostly, when it's dialed in,...they are much closer to a nominal dimension..but really would not expect reputability from batch-to-batch to be within +-.0001

thefamcnaj likes this.
  10. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016

rexromic and mt666tm like this.
  11. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    I'm curious, where are you getting your information from ?

12. Wanimator

Wanimator

Mar 7, 2014
    The phosphorus bronze washers aren't held to this tolerance and they to a large extent dictate the blade play.

13. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    In the old "clean a sebenza" thread, I believe Chris said to not polish the washers because you can ruin the hand fitting of the blade/handle by removing too much metal. So washers are one of the parts that need to be hand fitted to get that sebenza action.

Mo2 likes this.
  14. kniferbro

kniferbro

Jan 22, 2011
    On the recent Facebook Live thing Tim did I remember him talking about flatness tolerances of the handles being ridiculous, like in the 10,000ths maybe even tighter. I wanna say in the 100,000ths but that seems crazy!

Edit: I think it was Ryan filming?

15. bhyde

Mar 19, 2002
    @RyanRaben and myself

that would be around .0001in flatness. I believe the tolerance has a bit more room than that, like .0005 but the majority are much flatter.

Lone_Wolfe, kniferbro and RyanRaben like this.
  16. RyanRaben

RyanRaben Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Yep, not sure if it was Apple or AT&T that didn't agree with all the machinery around while filming. LOL. Only made it a partial way through and @bhyde and his fancy Verizon and his Android device came in to save the day. ROFL :) I am an Apple fanboy so I was kinda bummed my awesome phone could not keep up. LOL all in good fun though.

kniferbro and bhyde like this.
  17. blanco112

blanco112 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 1, 2016
    Legit question: should we really be saying low tolerances and not high?

peterbright likes this.
  18. peterbright

peterbright Serial Monogamist Platinum Member

Jul 29, 2016
    You have restored my faith in humanity. The answer is YES!

blanco112 and thefamcnaj like this.