Explain to me the advantages of a PJ 21/Inkosi.

OhioApexing

Sharpener
So micarta/wood/carbon fiber inlays and scales have their own self-explanatory advantages: functionality (improved ergonomics), aesthetics, individuality (particularly with burls) amongst others I’m probably forgetting.

But evidently Plain Janes are wildly popular. Aside from the softer price point, what are their advantages over more expensive models? I have yet to own a PJ, but something has been inexplicably drawing me to them.

So micarta/wood/carbon fiber inlays and scales have their own self-explanatory advantages: functionality (improved ergonomics), aesthetics, individuality (particularly with burls) amongst others I’m probably forgetting.

But evidently Plain Janes are wildly popular. Aside from the softer price point, what are their advantages over more expensive models? I have yet to own a PJ, but something has been inexplicably drawing me to them.

Well, for one thing they are slimmer.

as noted price point-which can play big if you are having a hard time coming up with the price or justifying it (something you get over quickly).
and slimmer
some like plain ti scales on their knives, they were the rage in the not too distant past, and I still enjoy them and like the worn look they get over time. While It isn't a real problem, I don't find wear on polished ti to be attractive-bearable but not attractive to me. The micarta gets a decent wear look though, and still my favorite knife.

I don't own a CRK and probably never will but I for one like the PJ better than the inlayed models from an aesthetic standpoint.
I'd also wager the guess they're better in real work environments where oils etc. might take their toll on woods.

I don't own a CRK and probably never will but I for one like the PJ better than the inlayed models from an aesthetic standpoint.
I'd also wager the guess they're better in real work environments where oils etc. might take their toll on woods.

Micarta and cf should be fairly resistant to absorbing chemicals, especially cf.

Micarta and cf should be fairly resistant to absorbing chemicals, especially cf.
I still wouldn't trust them around stuff like strong solvent. But yes they definetly are more resistant than the natural materials and my go-to work knives don't have full metal handles either.

I still wouldn't trust them around stuff like strong solvent. But yes they definetly are more resistant than the natural materials and my go-to work knives don't have full metal handles either.

Considering that the inlays are attatched with what is essentially a double sided tape I wouldn’t trust the inlay models around solvents either.

I definitely agree that the plain J models are better working knives while the inlays are kind of more for bling appeal.

I like the plain janes because I can beat them up at work and not feel bad about it. Plus the plain titanium is easier to grip when my hands are wet. My Spalted Beech Small Sebenza only gets carried on weekends or fancy outings.

Exactly what you pointed out, there's something about them that draws you in.
For me, it's the simple look, the more I look/use it, the more I like it. The scars a plain wears make it more appealing. That worn look is just plain sexy. I know how most of the dings got to be on my plain and it just makes me smile.

I dislike PJ sebenzas and find inlays boring. "Don't buy no ugly knife"...so of course I like my graphic with it's polished blade, anodized handle and polished Ti. It will cut and last just as long as a PJ but be prettier :)

I prefer the PJ over inlays or micarta for a few reasons; slimmer, not as "flashy", great grip/feel with the blasted Ti, love the look as they wear, price, etc. In most things I prefer utility over flash so the PJs fit that bill. GCCs and UGs are cool but personally I don't like most of the designs as they are often abstract and really don't speak to me. They also usually have polished flats which I despise.

Not a fan of the inlays, I prefer the slimness of the PJ.....but the right graphic would be cool :thumbsup:

I started with inlays but I find that my PJ small inkosi has pushed them out of my pocket. It just feels right. It is easier to slip in and out of my pocket than the inlays and feels invisible in my pocket. If I'm wearing jeans, the watch pocket makes a perfect sheath.

On larges especially the PJs are more comfortable in my hand and I like how they wear. They do feel much slimmer in the pocket. And yes price is a huge factor. When I look at micarta vs PJ I can't justify the price difference.

Back