Spyderco Shaman untapped clip screw holes

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
The knife arrived yesterday afternoon. I was moving the pocket clip to right side tip down carry position, when to my chagrin, I find that the screws not only are extremely tight to thread in, they don't even seat all the way down in that position, leaving the pocket clip dangling on the knife. The holes seem not to be fully tapped. Really frustrating. I found myself having to grind the screws shorter! Because why not finish it the way I like? I already knew I would have to (reviews advised me in advance that I would have to sand the inner edges of the scales and grind off the choil nub that interferes with hassle free closing of the compression lock, and I already knew I would have to reshape the handle per my pic below for it to be comfortable for my hand in both choked up and standard grip - I'll get to that tomorrow, the pic is a photo edit), just this is one more thing that got added on to the task list. And the clip still has play, so I might have to risk shortening the screws even more... I'm at the point where every time I buy a knife, I pretty much expect I am going to have to mod it in some way for it to be either better for me, or just plain adequate to what it should have been in the first place. I hope I don't sound bitter, but I truly believe that this faulty liner should never have left the factory. I am dealing with it, and I am pretty sure after all the hemming and hawing, I'll have a knife that I love. But not everybody is a tinkerer...

Spyderco%20Shaman%20Mod.jpg

Last edited:
As someone who also seems to have more than their fair share of dud knives, why don't you just return it, or failing that, send it in for warranty repair? Grinding the screws short is not the solution here. You're going to have like a single thread of engagement on the screws, when the people responsible could just fix this properly for you.

As someone who also seems to have more than their fair share of dud knives

Sorry to hear that.

why don't you just return it

Just not how I roll, I guess. I've never returned a knife, or anything else I have bought. I just eat it, maybe whine a little, and move on.

send it in for warranty repair?

CBSA will flip a coin on whether to steal it from me or not on the way back across the border.

Grinding the screws short is not the solution here. You're going to have like a single thread of engagement on the screws

Ouch. Good point. I guess I don't always think things through.

when the people responsible could just fix this properly for you.

You make a good case, and I would call Spyderco, but they've always said the same thing to me in the past when I've had similar issues. "Send the knife in for warranty". But I'm in Canada. Border security arbitrarily steals folders coming back across the border. I will not take that risk. I'd rather carry it clipless in my pocket than not at all. But I'd rather use the deep carry clip that MXGear has put in the mail for me. Mr. @Sal Glesser, is there any way for me to acquire a new set of clip screws and a non-lock side liner that has fully finished clip holes? I'd pay shipping costs on that gladly, as I doubt CBSA would want to steal a liner and a few screws.

Sorry to hear this. I'm a huge Spyderco and own my fair share of them and knock on wood I've never had a single issue out of the box. But, unfortunately I've seen more complaints recently on the forums and FB about QC issues.......

Not knocking Spyderco at all as they're probably my favorite knife brand and I've got one in the mail and several new releases I'll be purchasing when they hit shelves.

If grinding the screws down doesn't work, tapping the holes yourself will. An intro tap and die set can be found pretty cheap if you don't have one already

Posts like this confuse me. It’s certainly worthwhile to share anecdotes about one’s experience with quality control, but it’s another thing entirely to eschew one of the primary advantages of buying a more expensive knife - the warranty.

If you’re not the kind to return things (which is also ignoring one of the reasons to buy things from retailers with return policies that build that potential loss into their prices), then you can ship it to the warranty department of the manufacturer and get it either fixed or get a replacement.

Either way, through returning or warranty, you have already paid for the service because it is built into the cost of the product.

Although, if you’ve modified the knife, both options are pretty much void now.

Sorry to hear that.

Just not how I roll, I guess. I've never returned a knife, or anything else I have bought. I just eat it, maybe whine a little, and move on.

CBSA will flip a coin on whether to steal it from me or not on the way back across the border.

Ouch. Good point. I guess I don't always think things through.

You make a good case, and I would call Spyderco, but they've always said the same thing to me in the past when I've had similar issues. "Send the knife in for warranty". But I'm in Canada. Border security arbitrarily steals folders coming back across the border. I will not take that risk. I'd rather carry it clipless in my pocket than not at all. But I'd rather use the deep carry clip that MXGear has put in the mail for me. Mr. @Sal Glesser, is there any way for me to acquire a new set of clip screws and a non-lock side liner that has fully finished clip holes? I'd pay shipping costs on that gladly, as I doubt CBSA would want to steal a liner and a few screws.
Fair point about being in Canada. In that case, I'd try to get a new set of screws and run a tap then the liners to clear out the holes. You could take the screws to a hardware store to match the threads, then find the appropriate tap.

I am the same about preferring to fix knives myself, but I've had some nasty experiences with poorly built knives and I'm more wary now of being the one who breaks the stuff I just bought. Now, my strategy is to return the item or use warranty service and save myself the stress.

Can't you send it insured so if its stolen, you just get the money back and buy a new one? What kind of jacked up border patrol steals things from people? that is an atrocity that should be swiftly and completely dealt with.

Sorry to hear this. I'm a huge Spyderco

You must be the Police... no wait, the Tatanka! :D

and own my fair share of them and knock on wood I've never had a single issue out of the box. But, unfortunately I've seen more complaints recently on the forums and FB about QC issues.......

Not knocking Spyderco at all as they're probably my favorite knife brand and I've got one in the mail and several new releases I'll be purchasing when they hit shelves.

They are mine as well, for design, performance, ergos, and the Spydie hole.

If grinding the screws down doesn't work, tapping the holes yourself will. An intro tap and die set can be found pretty cheap if you don't have one already

Another benefit of being in Canada is that hardware stores do not carry 2-52 taps, and despite years ago having success with moving pocket clips on Cold Steel knives I modified, I lost that tap (and the seller on ebay I got it from no longer is available), and have not managed to find a correctly sized one since, despite ordering from ebay, sending emails to customer service at USAKnifemaker, and having all but given up on finding "taps sized for common knife pocket clip screws". I'm open to a suggestion of who to contact to reliably provide me such a tap, as that would enable me to reopen one of my favourite modding options, moving the pocket clip.

Posts like this confuse me. It’s certainly worthwhile to share anecdotes about one’s experience with quality control, but it’s another thing entirely to eschew one of the primary advantages of buying a more expensive knife - the warranty.

Let me help you with your confusion.

"Send the knife in for warranty". But I'm in Canada. Border security arbitrarily steals folders coming back across the border. I will not take that risk.

And:

Although, if you’ve modified the knife, both options are pretty much void now.

Can't you send it insured so if its stolen, you just get the money back and buy a new one? What kind of jacked up border patrol steals things from people? that is an atrocity that should be swiftly and completely dealt with.

I didn't know you could insure against "lawful" government seizure.

I'd say hitting up some local machine shops. Ones that are around airports and do small odd jobs will get you some leads on taps and hardware.

I used to get stuff like that from Acklands Grainger, now just Grainger and I'm pretty sure they have a few ON locations.

If I wanted a Shaman though I wouldn't be worried about it crossing the border. Or worry about sending a knife to Spyderco to get fixed.

I tried machine shops, but I'll look up Grainger. Thanks. There is now closed Army Surplus store in my home town that sold all kinds of Spydercos, but they never had the Military or Para Military. I asked them why, and they said "Because they're illegal". When I disputed their claim, they said they thought that because every time they tried to get some in they were always confiscated at the border. This is a few years ago, and CBSA has pumped up their confiscation since then. I had one Ganzo confiscated and the other let though. Nearly identical framelock knives. So I am worried about it getting confiscated, and with good reason. They do it all the time, and seemingly at a whim.

The knife arrived yesterday afternoon. I was moving the pocket clip to right side tip down carry position, when to my chagrin, I find that the screws not only are extremely tight to thread in, they don't even seat all the way down in that position, leaving the pocket clip dangling on the knife. The holes seem not to be fully tapped. Really frustrating. I found myself having to grind the screws shorter! Because why not finish it the way I like? I already knew I would have to (reviews advised me in advance that I would have to sand the inner edges of the scales and grind off the choil nub that interferes with hassle free closing of the compression lock, and I already knew I would have to reshape the handle per my pic below for it to be comfortable for my hand in both choked up and standard grip - I'll get to that tomorrow, the pic is a photo edit), just this is one more thing that got added on to the task list. And the clip still has play, so I might have to risk shortening the screws even more... I'm at the point where every time I buy a knife, I pretty much expect I am going to have to mod it in some way for it to be either better for me, or just plain adequate to what it should have been in the first place. I hope I don't sound bitter, but I truly believe that this faulty liner should never have left the factory. I am dealing with it, and I am pretty sure after all the hemming and hawing, I'll have a knife that I love. But not everybody is a tinkerer...

Spyderco%20Shaman%20Mod.jpg

man I do believe if I knew a certain knife that had so many issues I knew I would have to "correct/fix/or change) ... I would find a knife I actually liked to buy instead ...

I share your pain, the CBSA really is a complete pain... I feel like telling you to just get a north arms folder and call it a day. No border issues, as they are in BC.

Honestly, it's time for big companies like Spyderco and ZT to setup a repair/warranty/distribution depot in Canada - I'm certain they would see much higher sales to Canadians

JJ_Colt45 JJ_Colt45
In case you didn't notice, the only issue that caused frustration was the completely unknowable fact that the liner clip screw holes were not properly finished. Would I have bought the knife if I didn't like it? Of course not. Guess what, I mod just about every knife I have ever bought so far because every knife can be made a little bit better suited to my preferences. But like I said, I realize not everybody is handy with tools.

Honestly, it's time for big companies like Spyderco and ZT to setup a repair/warranty/distribution depot in Canada - I'm certain they would see much higher sales to Canadians

Definitely!

Just a question from a curious 'Merican. How does the CBSA know that it's a knife in a package? Do they open to inspect? Is there a customs declaration for cutlery? Could they ship under a different declaration, like "tool"? Do the customs agents know to look for packages from Spyderco and such?

Another benefit of being in Canada is that hardware stores do not carry 2-52 taps, and despite years ago having success with moving pocket clips on Cold Steel knives I modified, I lost that tap (and the seller on ebay I got it from no longer is available), and have not managed to find a correctly sized one since, despite ordering from ebay, sending emails to customer service at USAKnifemaker, and having all but given up on finding "taps sized for common knife pocket clip screws". I'm open to a suggestion of who to contact to reliably provide me such a tap, as that would enable me to reopen one of my favourite modding options, moving the pocket clip.

If I go to my local Home Depot or Lowe's they're not going to have 2-56 taps on the shelf either, but it took about 3 minutes to find availability from this Canadian supplier.

Back