Favorite Pocket Clip

What's your favorite folding knife pocket clip for EDC and why?

I personally love the Spyderco wire clips, they seem to glide into my pocket smoothly, and they are more subtle than other types depending on the finish.

SPYC195CFP_1_.jpg

I have a deep carry clip from MXGGear on my Native 5. It is way better than what Spyderco uses.

I like the spyderco normal clips the best. they do a better job than most. others brands can be good, but I have yet to get a spyderco where the clip didnt work well or wasnt just the right tightness and setup.

I dont really like the wire clips much. I use them on knives I like cause they are there, but given a choice I'd change it.

Wireclips hands down.

Especially the deep carry wireclips that fold over themselves like on the Techno vs the non deep carry wireclips like on the Spyderco P’kal.

I also like the darker tone of the Techno’s wireclip.

A deep carry wireclip with that muted tone is very discreet. It is hard to see and even when it is seen it looks like a pen.

I too love wire clips. I prefer small and unobtrusive clips. I'm a big fan of deep carry clips are all, Benchmade makes a good one, however in many applications I prefer having the butt of my knife to grab onto.

Hands down my favorite clip is Emerson/Benchmade. They’re the only clips I haven’t bent out. They’re simple, sturdy, and look good.

HUGE fan of Spyderco's generic "spoon" clip. Love the way the dip molds to my index finger while pulling it from my pocket. Im also a big fan of the standard Hinderer clip. The slot gives enough room for my finger to catch near the top, and also feels very secure during a pull. I'm not a big fan of deep carry clips, but I still only prefer a "medium" amount of "knife butt" to show out of my pocket. I think these two are great examples of that.

34niryr.jpg

10441lj.jpg

I judge a clip on the following terms:

1) How well it grips the pocket.
2) How easily it comes off the pocket.
3) How easily it goes on the pocket.
4) How comfortable it is in my hand using the knife.

Some things other people like but I don't really care about:

5) How deep it carries.
6) How little it shows against the pocket.

One thing I care about but is ENTIRELY subjective:

7) How good it looks.

Am I missing anything?

I don't like showing a lot of knife sticking out of my pocket and most deep carry clips have their issues with protruding screw heads that interfere with getting the knife fully seated in the pocket (also tears the pocket seam out rather quickly).
So either I have a "normal" depth clip and wear a shirt that covers it, or I look for designs that inherently carry at a stealthier depth.
My latest is the WE Knife Double Helix that carries low and uses standoffs.
Extremely simple, well placed, and correct tension for effortless use.

This is the only picture I have of the clip side right now.
vfcAbjA.jpg

I agree on the Spyderco deep carry clip, though it’s probably not perfect for every application.
#2 is the standard CRK clip.

With apologies for redundancy, here’s yet another fan of the Spyderco deep carry wire clip. It’s great on the SpydieChef, and I love how the Chaparral disappears into a jeans small/watch pocket.

I’ve had good success with deep carry clips from MXG Gear. It’s a requirement for the ZT 0609 (below).

I really like the look of the clip on Brian Nadeau’s new Micro Typhoon as well.

gv94J6D.jpg

HUGE fan of Spyderco's generic "spoon" clip. Love the way the dip molds to my index finger while pulling it from my pocket. Im also a big fan of the standard Hinderer clip. The slot gives enough room for my finger to catch near the top, and also feels very secure during a pull. I'm not a big fan of deep carry clips, but I still only prefer a "medium" amount of "knife butt" to show out of my pocket. I think these two are great examples of that.

34niryr.jpg

10441lj.jpg

Agreed, I like them too. I don't need really deep carry clips, it's nice to have part of the knife sticking out and being able to extract it.
A nicely machined/sculpted clip is appreaciated from a design perspective but for carrying I tend to prefer something simple and practical. My artsy clip knives tend to just get dumped in a pocket without anything else in it rather than using the clip.

Back