Fighting knife

I'm coming back into the knife world after a long absence. Long enough that I might as well be a beginner. I'm interested in buying a heavy duty, folding fighting knife. It's going to be my Christmas present, so, price is no concern. The steels available now are light years ahead of what was being used when I was still keeping up with knives (1990s). Following closely are the ergonomics of the knife. Even though I have been out of the loop in edged weapons I still carry 2 knives with me wherever I go. One is a Benchmade, designed by Emerson just before he left Benchmade back in the 1990's(s). The other is folder made by Phill Hartsfield. The Benchmade and the Hartsfield both can be made scary-sharp. The Hartsfield folder is supposed to be a fighting knife, but the ergonomics of it leave a lot to be desired. I'll be purchasing a "bug-out" knife after Christmas. I'll research it further. Right now I am looking for suggestions on the fighting folder.

Thank you ahead of time for any help anyone can give me.

Uh this is the tech support subforum
Try posting in the general forum

You might try asking mods to move this to general knife discussion, this part of the forum is used for asking questions about bladeforums- like computer or Internet type questions I guess you'd say.

Welcome back. Your Emerson will be a Benchmade 970 or 975, predecessors of the Emerson CQC-7. I'm not familiar with the Hartsfield. Just starting with the leaders of the pack, there are several companies to study. Benchmade and Emerson are still candidates, both for tactical and utility. Spyderco is another, so is Cold Steel. Check out our mnufacturer and hosted knifemaker forum lists for others.

A true fighting knife must have a full guard and minimum 6 1/2" blade
Cold+Steel%252C+Recon+Scout%252C+San+Mai+III%252C+37S.jpg

The term fighting folder is an oxymoron :)

Get a fixed blade

If your looking for a defense knife in a folder get a good DA Auto

Good luck

Emerson was the first name i thought of when I read your post. Many options to choose from with the "quick draw" wave feature. I think earnest emerson himself recommends the cqc8 as a great combat knife.

If you have to carry a knife that folds, and defense is the primary mission, the Spyderco Manix 2XL is my first choice. Big, solid but fairly light for size, quick into action, sharp, ergonomic, tough. I carried one for several months in Afghanistan, on my last deployment.

Last edited by a moderator:
The term fighting folder is an oxymoron :)

Get a fixed blade

If your looking for a defense knife in a folder get a good DA Auto

Good luck
This.

And if the OP dont think thats a viable solution, then for example look to the knives Mr Bagwell makes and illustrates how to carry.

"DA Autos" are more toys than anything else. Any good modern folder will be as quick into action, have fewer legal restrictions against carry, and will be stronger in use. It's really amazing that you ridicule the term "fighting folder"...and then, suggest a less appropriate knife! :D

I'd look at folders with a wave or wave-like opening feature.

Emersons, great ergonomics and design, but in my humble opinion (and owning a couple) overpriced for the materials, fit and finish.

Spyderco has several waved models. The Endura would probably be the most versatile, but depending on how you train a Matriarch could work for you as a dedicated SD knife.

Zero Tolerance has a couple of Emerson colaborations that are excellent. Great steel, very nicely built. Emerson design with ZT workmanship. Models 0630 and 0620.

There's also Cold Steel. Several of their folders have thumb plates that work like a wave and they also offer some gigantic folders. I carry an XL Talwar from time to time.

if price is not a concern i would look at any terzuola folder any model , he is the inventor of tactical folders, and any of knives are in demand

If any knife is used in a life and death situation, it will end up in an evidence locker... Don't buy one for $1000 that you aren't willing to lose when one for $200 will work just as good, but allow for future purchases.

It seems most of us carrying knives for defense do so for peace of mind and for the confidence conveyed by having a tool that gives us a leg-up on assailants who outclass us in fight. Therefore, the folding fighter is a not a oxymoron. The navajas of Spain did strong work in this regard for about two hundred years and they varied from four to ten inches in blade length. The current incarnation of those Andalusian beasts is the Espada XL by Cold Steel. Check that one out.

Zieg

navajas_and_snickersnees1.jpg

ColdSteelEspada_1.jpg

Fixed blades are better than folders, but it doesn't get any better than the Cold Steel Espada for folding fighters.

It seems most of us carrying knives for defense do so for peace of mind and for the confidence conveyed by having a tool that gives us a leg-up on assailants who outclass us in fight. Therefore, the folding fighter is a not a oxymoron. The navajas of Spain did strong work in this regard for about two hundred years and they varied from four to ten inches in blade length. The current incarnation of those Andalusian beasts is the Espada XL by Cold Steel. Check that one out.

Zieg

ColdSteelEspada_1.jpg
Good god!

Back