1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First budget quality Japanese knife

Discussion in 'Kitchen Cutlery & Tools' started by lonestar1979, Oct 20, 2018.

1. lonestar1979

lonestar1979

Mar 2, 2014
    I dont have too much experience with Japanese kitchen knives and am looking for budget Japanese forged 4-5 inch blade that doesnt cost too much.Would be used for basic food prep,cutting meat etc.I have many western knives,and would like to try out Japanese forged kitchen knives,have seen many videos online and like the sharpness of those.Sharpening isnt problem and have 2waterstones .I wouldnt want to spend more than 100$.I dont know if theres any nice forged knife for that price .

2. jc57

jc57 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2012
    Tojiro DP 210mm gyuto. $79 shipped USA from CKTG. That's longer than you want, but it's a great Japanese-profile chef's knife.

A shorter alternative is the Tojiro DP 180mm gyuto, $67 shipped from the same place. There are options for a 170mm Santoku and some shorter utility and petty knives from the same maker and vendor.

They are stamped 3-layer knives with a VG10 core. The whole forged-vs-stamped thing is a remnant from the past. There's not that much difference these days unless you are talking about completely made from hand by a bladesmith.

hughd likes this.
  3. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps

Apr 20, 2018
    Tojiro also makes an ITK line that is pretty budget friendly.

4. Ourorboros

Ourorboros

Jan 23, 2017
    Actually CKTG should have a number of forged bano bunkas and santokus for less than $100. They won't be 5" though. The length is actually the hardest parameter you set. That's assuming you want a main kitchen knife that replaces a chef's knife.
    If you want something like a long paring knife, look at petty knives in the 100mm and 125 mm sizes.
    There should be a number of quality options, so sorry for not naming one.

5. Seesteel

Seesteel Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2018
    36856-1.jpg
    Shun Kanso 5" Honesuki $95.00

fullsizeoutput_8ae.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018